• Toyota Hilux
    • Ssangyong Musso
    • Mercedes-Benz G-class
    • Ford Ranger
    • Land Rover
    • Others - name your choice

On 4/1/2021 at 4:29 PM, Volvobrick said:

Defender Aluminum. Ford? Rust bucket!

Just get Hilux - Toughest truck in the world, as proven by Top Gear.

If they decide ion G63, then need to go to Mdm President to use reserves!

Makes you wonder why they chose Ford in the first place, eh? wink wink :D

↡ Advertisement

US military is keen on our gear... in the Arctic... not bad

https://www.straitstimes.com/business/companies-markets/st-engineering-chosen-as-partner-to-produce-prototype-vehicle-for-us-army

SINGAPORE - A variant of an all-terrain armoured vehicle operated by the Singapore Army could be used by the United States Army in the future, as it seeks a new vehicle that can move personnel and supplies in the extreme weather of the Arctic region. 

In a statement on Monday (April 5), American firm Oshkosh Defense said that it had been selected – along with its partner ST Engineering – to participate in the prototype phase for the US Army’s Cold Weather All-Terrain Vehicle (CATV). 

The Oshkosh CATV, which is yet to be built, is derived from the Bronco 3, which is “a member of the proven, highly effective, and reliable Bronco family of vehicles by ST Engineering”, said Wisconsin-based Oshkosh.

With the CATV, the US Army is looking to replace Small Unit Support Vehicles that have been in service since the early 1980s. 

The amphibious Bronco All Terrain Tracked Carrier, which can move through mud, swampy areas and water, was introduced into the Singapore Army in the early 2000s. It has also been used by British troops in Afghanistan. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Maybe they have small feet... we can always make a stretched version la..

If they are keen, I'm sure we will move mountains. Big score for us.

Adapting it to cold weather, now that will be impressive.

Maybe we can then suggest using SAF troops as observers in the Arctic. New holiday spot leh..

• Haha! 1

1 minute ago, Tohto said:

Too small for the amdk. Look at their soldiers size.

ok ma, the british can use, no reason usa cannot.

Internal Moderator
25 minutes ago, therock said:

produce prototype in the arctic? hahahahha.

I am not very sure leh. Do they know we are the real martians?

image.png.b5ed523b0b01caa83d652ae7a5027d26.png

Our lowest lowest is also 20 only. hahahahahha.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Was a driver in the army so maybe should chime in.

Land Rover Defender:

Hated these so much. Horrible ergonomics, slow, horribly unreliable. Everyone in my unit would curse and swear if we had a Land Rover detail. Only good in off-roading situation. All I can say is good riddance. May they rot in hell.

Mercedes G-Wagon:

Loved them. Mostly drove the 290GD troop carrier. Only drove the 240GD once. Slow but these were NA diesel engines with a 4 speed manual. So can't expect much. The newer ones are a lot better. I would definitely be okay with the SAF purchasing these new ones. FYI  for those recommending the G63, I hope you're kidding because what these would be put through, a G63 would not last a week. Make it a simple turbo diesel Euro 6 engine small in capacity but with immense torque.

Ford Everest:

Just a heavily modified civilian SUV. Not a specially built military spec vehicle like the defender or g-wagon.

Toyota Hilux:

Same as the Ford. Not going to last through what the SAF is going to put in through. Mechanically I see it doing well but I foresee many with twisted frames and major body damage.

With regards to the green plan some had mentioned, there are no green military vehicles. Hybrids are too risky with the batteries. That is why military vehicles are still diesel powered.

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 4

For the real answer need to do a proper testing.

Thank goodness for Top Gear.

They know all about cars and have the answer for this already.

See the rigorous testing done.

:grin:

• Haha! 3

10 hours ago, therock said:

I wonder how he managed to convince the Commandoes to do this.. 

Its a tie in with British arm forces for recruiting.

Honestly the terrain in singapore even our outfield is nothing compared to what vehicles go through in 3rd world countries. 

I just watched a documentary about DRC in central africa. Their road condition between major towns is equivalent to our offroading in malaysian jungle. Just mud tracks. not even gravel.
Certainly they will be happy with the gravel tracks we drive on in training areas. Those are their roads in the less well off areas in the capital!

All of the big shots are driving toyotas land cruisers and when they go out of town, they drive either land cruisers or toyota pickups. [laugh] 

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

19 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Honestly the terrain in singapore even our outfield is nothing compared to what vehicles go through in 3rd world countries. 

I just watched a documentary about DRC in central africa. Their road condition between major towns is equivalent to our offroading in malaysian jungle. Just mud tracks. not even gravel.
Certainly they will be happy with the gravel tracks we drive on in training areas. Those are their roads in the less well off areas in the capital!

All of the big shots are driving toyotas land cruisers and when they go out of town, they drive either land cruisers or toyota pickups. [laugh] 

Even thailand not bad compared to over there... yet i remember my first exercise in thailand... during the prep it rain nonstop... first day go outfield nothing but vehicles stuck everywhere... one 7tonner had to be recovered by m113 ... which was lucky they can do that coz the backup plan was call in chinook 😱

Internal Moderator
21 hours ago, yishunite said:

Actually I just thought if switch to EV and dont need to put an actual ICE anywhere... can we finally get vehicles like MASK??

Jackhammer.jpg

Ages 4 and up can drive le. Good leh! 😂

• Haha! 1

21 hours ago, Lala81 said:

I went to some vege farm in Cameron Highland that is 1hr from trunk road.  Our field is way better than those roads.

Land Cruiser J200 is definitely more comfortable than pickup truck.

This looks good:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/new-ambulance-scdf-self-decontaminate-automatic-stretcher-14625266

Autopark... By the way, I don't think they should have auto-brake, because if there's a stretcher and you brake too hard, you might really cause additional injury...

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) has unveiled its new seventh-generation ambulance that can self-decontaminate and automatically load or unload stretchers to reduce the risk of accidental drops.

The ambulance, which has blue strips on its exterior instead of the usual red, also comes with a modular storage system that allows medical equipment to be rearranged or carried around easily.

For the ambulance driver, new safety features include a 360-degree vehicle camera and parking assistance.

image.png.0534e042b0974a1fb44926836b21acd5.png

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1