How to claim insurance on hit & run party?

Car was parked at road site parallel parking lot.

15 minutes later, when returning to my car, found my spot/fog light cover in lying 1 meter in front of my car. Right side fender and bumper badly damaged.

After viewing dash cam found the car that hit my car, even TP who saw my video agreed on that. Loud crashing sound and car shaking at point of impact. 

Question, how do I claim the driver that hit and run? 

I want to do at my own workshop but Tokio Marine insurance is only approved workshop.

So first party or third party claim?

↡ Advertisement

Twincharged
6 minutes ago, 999 said:

15 minutes later, when returning to my car, found my spot/fog light cover in lying 1 meter in front of my car. Right side fender and bumper badly damaged.

After viewing dash cam found the car that hit my car, even TP who saw my video agreed on that. Loud crashing sound and car shaking at point of impact. 

I want to do at my own workshop but Tokio Marine insurance is only approved workshop.

Go to your preferred workshop. Show them the video. If they agree it’s a clear cut case and sure win. Then done. 

• Praise 2

@Mkl22 

wah!! so easy?

What can be claimed?

Ceramic coating? Got to redo leh.

Lost of use? Got to take leave?

Replacement car cost?

For hit & run cases, need to make police report first which I guess TS has done so.

For insurance claim process, you won't be able to claim anything until third party receive the letter and notify his insurance company.

The other way is to claim own damage first then get reimbursement after third party file report. 

For hit & run cases, need to make police report first which I guess TS has done so.

For insurance claim process, you won't be able to claim anything until third party receive the letter and notify his insurance company.

The other way is to claim own damage first then get reimbursement after third party file report. 

Twincharged
43 minutes ago, 999 said:

@Mkl22 

wah!! so easy?

What can be claimed?

Ceramic coating? Got to redo leh.

Lost of use? Got to take leave?

Replacement car cost?

Talk to your workshop la. You already said you have one. 

i would think if claim own insurance will have shorter surveyor approval wait time so car will be repaired faster, less effort/headache ..

but excess likely may not recover, and depending on the policy, loss of use/replacement car may also not recover ..

heart of course angry but if you take a step back, claiming from your own insurance and then leaving your insurance co to jump through all the hoops may give you far less headache ..

getting a workshop to claim for you usually sounds like easy but i think ultimately if they fail in their claim for some reason (nothing is guaranteed in life) they will collect from you - the fine print when you sign to authorise them to repair and claim from the other side on your behalf should give them this recourse against you ..

no right or wrong .. see which suits you better ..

1 hour ago, 999 said:

Can you go call up your car's insurance hotline and ask instead?

A lot of ppl are unaware of up to date info. I think you have to go to a damage accessing center to access the damage within a certain time frame. Or the car insurance company send someone down to help you.

You better call. 

Edited by Watwheels

@Mooose 

yah..understood the approved workshop OD claim and third party claim risk. 

That’s why not sure on which direction to go.

@Watwheels 

Called already, asked me to report on Monday to approved workshop. 

But don’t trust approved workshop workmanship. 

If go third party claim then, if the culprit don’t report his insurance, I may have headaches by then as I cannot revert to OD claim. 

1 minute ago, 999 said:

@Watwheels 

If go third party claim then, if the culprit don’t report his insurance, I may have headaches by then as I cannot revert to OD claim. 

I still don’t understand how Singapore ended with a system where the victim need to depend on the culprit to do the right thing to be able to make an insurance claim

• Praise 3

10 minutes ago, 999 said:

@Watwheels 

When you chose your insurance policy, you must have picked the option to use the insurer's approved workshop. I am sure there must have been an option where you pay higher premiums for your own workshop. You didn't pick that option. So now, you are stuck with the insurer's workshop.
Cannot claim for coating, tinting, take leave, etc. When you picked your insurance policy, there was never any mention of the type of coating, price of tinting, loss of income when take leave, etc. Right?
Aiyoh, if like this, everyone will be claiming every small item and premiums will shoot up for everybody.

Edited by Flying_genie

@Flying_genie 

The details for those claims is for third party Not referring to OD claims. 

Culprit did not realised that just behind my car is the police CCTV! Good game to him. 

So far, TP, Police and my workshop are mentioned clear cut case. 

Read through this.

1. wait for police report;

2. Even though WS said it is a clear cut case, 100% party at fault insurer will reject the claims. The rationale is party at fault did not report the incident.

3. If your WS can’t make insurer pays, complain to MAS. Use MAS to push the insurer.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, 999 said:

good that you hv vid evidence proving a hit n run. But it's not clear to me if you managed to get the culprit's licence plate number in the vid. Good that u went TP already.

if yes, u can claim 3rd party (but be prepared to wait long time for the claim to be approved). For 3rd party claim, u can go any workshop, no need approved wkshop. Your insurer won't be involved at all. If hit n run while u are parked, sure bao jiak one, so most workshops will be happy to do it.

if yes got plate number but you can't wait long time for repair, your option is to claim own damage first, while filing a claim against the other car and wait to recover costs.

if you hv vid of the car but don't hv the licence plate captured, your only recourse is claim own damage at approved workshop or go do outside at your own cost. i.e. suck thumb

for my hit n run case, the damage was very minor so I was able to wait the 8mths or so it took for the 3rd party claim to be approved. Only then did I send my car for repair.

I went to IDAC immediately after going TP. They took initial pics of the damage etc n filed a damage report first (within 24hrs of the incident). Actual claim submission was a day later after I went around to a few places to enquire abt the options for the claim process.

If the idiot don't report you won't be able to claim him. It happened to me. Police report can only give him demerit points but nothing to do with insurance company claim. Let say even if you claim your own damage, the idiot don't report, idiot insurance will not be liable and your insurance company will do an assessment to see whether it is worthwhile to sue the idiot. 

↡ Advertisement