How to claim insurance on hit & run party?

@Mkl22 

The correct procedure helps, not just luck. 

Quick report to TP who then got the video from the police camera mount near by helps.

Strange enough TP never sent me conclusions of their investigation.

So a trust worthy workshop helps more. Those who know if claim can go through not those all out to get claims.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

congrats that your claims are successful, agreed that swift actions by car owners (making reports) and police (reviewing nearby cam) are important and helpful towards the case

there's pros and cons of choosing your own workshop vs insurance authorized workshop and there's many factors involved as well.

there's a "famous" local insurance that simply discharge their insured as long as they doesn't report the accident within the given timeframe, if you met this type, be prepared to drag till no end, even if workshop engage lawyer to claims, you're still at risk to bond all the repair cost and lawyer fees.

there's also insurance that approved 3rd party claims if their insured didn't report on time and the other party has evidence to prove their insured is at fault

today's "trusted" workshop can be a "dirty" workshop tomorrow if things goes south

1 good thing about authorized workshop is the assessment is approved by your own insurance, worst comes to worst, you have your insurance as a final safety net.

On 4/10/2021 at 9:53 PM, Chongster said:

I still don’t understand how Singapore ended with a system where the victim need to depend on the culprit to do the right thing to be able to make an insurance claim

That is because of many dishonest people in the 1st place … no foolproof strategy just prevent fraud fake surprise claim on you too! 

• Praise 1

7 minutes ago, AbhilashChalmela said:

The term hit-and-run is associated with road accidents where the driver responsible for the accident flees from the accident scene. Despite all the efforts, neither the vehicle nor driver gets traced. The guidelines and proceedings for hit-and-run cases get handled under Section 161 of the Indian Motor Vehicle Act.

If you happen to get involved in such accidents anytime in the future, here is how you claim them under General Insurance. Firstly, note down the fleeing vehicle details such as number and model. This helps the police and other authorities involved in gathering essential clues.

• File an FIR report for registering the accident and provide the necessary details related to the accident.
  • Your legal representative must file the claim application at the respective Taluka. Only those who sustain serious injuries can make a claim request.
  • The victim is free to appoint their family member or an agent as the legal representative.
  • If death takes place, the legal representative must file for compensation on the deceased family’s behalf.
  • Once all enquiries get done, the Claim Enquiry Officer submits the report and other relevant documents like injury certificate or post-mortem report to the Claim Settlement Commissioner.
  • They then coordinate with the District Collector or Deputy Commissioner at the district level, following which the claim gets processed.
  • The compensation gets sanctioned 15 days from the time the Claim Enquiry Officer receives the report.

Indian motor vehicle Act?

I doubt the Act applicable here. 

Neutral Newbie

@999 hi there, thank u for sharing this. It helps alot as trying to submit for mine but no clue what to expect cos 1st claim after 8 years of driving lol.. Happy to hear you got compensated. Could I ask if the culprit oso filed a report eventually too cos saw u hv to engage lawyer? Also I have been reading if other party did not file, then cannot claim. I got a clear video showing the car (car plate no. captured on video too) reverse against my stationary car but she refused to admit fault so I hv no choice but claim against her insurance.

If the other party did not or refuse to report to his/her insurance. It's going to be a long battle and you need to face your damage everyday during the long wait. That's the flaw of our motor insurance legislation. 

27 minutes ago, Optramagnum said:

If the other party did not or refuse to report to his/her insurance. It's going to be a long battle and you need to face your damage everyday during the long wait. That's the flaw of our motor insurance legislation. 

It depends on how good is the workshop is.

In worst-case scenario, complain to MAS.  Someone use MAS to compel the party at fault insurer to sort this out.

Not forgetting Singapore has no consumer protection.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

@Optramagnum @inlinesix wow thanks for sharing.. probably no human injuries so the claims were put on low priority I guess. No wonder so many crazy liars and people who dont make effort to park properly these days.. hope the law will come down hard on them one day. 

3 hours ago, inlinesix said:

It depends on how good is the workshop is.

In worst-case scenario, complain to MAS.  Someone use MAS to compel the party at fault insurer to sort this out.

Not forgetting Singapore has no consumer protection.

We have a case yet no case...maybe we're the first in a world in a first world 😁

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Jai17 said:

@Optramagnum @inlinesix wow thanks for sharing.. probably no human injuries so the claims were put on low priority I guess. No wonder so many crazy liars and people who dont make effort to park properly these days.. hope the law will come down hard on them one day. 

Don't be disheartened. These ppl are just minority. Just exercise caution and drive defensively and you will be fine. 

• Praise 1

On 12/15/2021 at 6:38 PM, Jai17 said:

@999 hi there, thank u for sharing this. It helps alot as trying to submit for mine but no clue what to expect cos 1st claim after 8 years of driving lol.. Happy to hear you got compensated. Could I ask if the culprit oso filed a report eventually too cos saw u hv to engage lawyer? Also I have been reading if other party did not file, then cannot claim. I got a clear video showing the car (car plate no. captured on video too) reverse against my stationary car but she refused to admit fault so I hv no choice but claim against her insurance.

I do believe that the offender did file, when he got approached by NTUC Income and TP. Most importantly is the video evidence from dash cam and I do believe Police street cam.  I did not have to engage lawyer myself but it was done by the workshop, seem like a "norm" for workshop to do.

My video evidence did show that my car shook on impact as well as sound or the impact.  Not sure how to post the video or will affect personal info protection law.  

Neutral Newbie

@999 no worries on the video..think if u got yr case resolved better not post out any car plate too. Yea workshop did say the same as well,  so long as clear video evidence not to worry, the worst case is they will engage lawyer's help if culprit refuse to cooperate and file report. Mine was not as serious in damages, more of being accused as culprit reversed into my car but she told her insurer I knock her instead but luckily I got dash cam to show my car was stationary..  thanks again for replying

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Looking for owner of Black Mercedes SUV (vechicle no starting with SMW) parked at service road leading to Blk 37 Toa Payoh Lor. 5 today (14/5) around 3.20pm. Please contact me urgently. Thank you 

↡ Advertisement