How to claim insurance on hit & run party?

10 hours ago, Shibadog said:

good that you hv vid evidence proving a hit n run. But it's not clear to me if you managed to get the culprit's licence plate number in the vid. Good that u went TP already.

if yes, u can claim 3rd party (but be prepared to wait long time for the claim to be approved). For 3rd party claim, u can go any workshop, no need approved wkshop. Your insurer won't be involved at all. If hit n run while u are parked, sure bao jiak one, so most workshops will be happy to do it.

if yes got plate number but you can't wait long time for repair, your option is to claim own damage first, while filing a claim against the other car and wait to recover costs.

if you hv vid of the car but don't hv the licence plate captured, your only recourse is claim own damage at approved workshop or go do outside at your own cost. i.e. suck thumb

for my hit n run case, the damage was very minor so I was able to wait the 8mths or so it took for the 3rd party claim to be approved. Only then did I send my car for repair.

I went to IDAC immediately after going TP. They took initial pics of the damage etc n filed a damage report first (within 24hrs of the incident). Actual claim submission was a day later after I went around to a few places to enquire abt the options for the claim process.

That's the situation that concerns me, should I wait to confirm the final TP report or go ahead and do the car first. If by XX months, can I still do OD claim? By then my insurance policy will lapse to the following year. 

11 hours ago, Mooose said:

i would think if claim own insurance will have shorter surveyor approval wait time so car will be repaired faster, less effort/headache ..

but excess likely may not recover, and depending on the policy, loss of use/replacement car may also not recover ..

heart of course angry but if you take a step back, claiming from your own insurance and then leaving your insurance co to jump through all the hoops may give you far less headache ..

getting a workshop to claim for you usually sounds like easy but i think ultimately if they fail in their claim for some reason (nothing is guaranteed in life) they will collect from you - the fine print when you sign to authorise them to repair and claim from the other side on your behalf should give them this recourse against you ..

no right or wrong .. see which suits you better ..

That's the comtemplation here, OD claim or Third Party. If Third Party drags on, faint too.

Holding on not to repair first, I'm actually OK, but need to temporary fix back my spot/fog light cover, else rain or water may cause further problem in the long run. Then the concern is XX month down the run, in worst case situation, will I be able to claim OD again. For sure, if I go ahead with third party and do the repair, there's no way for a recourse on the OD claim.

Wonder got a third option? 

8 hours ago, Sky61 said:

If the culprit can hit and run, he/she SURE won't report to his/her insurer one....

Defeats the purpose of H&R unless, today he go regrets and make a report. 

10 minutes ago, 999 said:

That's the situation that concerns me, should I wait to confirm the final TP report or go ahead and do the car first. If by XX months, can I still do OD claim? By then my insurance policy will lapse to the following year. 

when u made the initial TP report, they would hv given u a copy.

in my case, the TP IO took abt 3-4 weeks to email me to ask for a copy of the video and nothing heard fm them until I emailed again a month or so later to enquire if there was an update. Only then did they inform me of the outcome (other party at fault). i then sent this to the wkshop that was handling my 3rd pty insurance claim for their action. I didn't do OD.

btw i'm assuming that u caught the culprit's vehicle plate and it's a SG vehicle, not foreign registered

9 minutes ago, Shibadog said:

when u made the initial TP report, they would hv given u a copy.

in my case, the TP IO took abt 3-4 weeks to email me to ask for a copy of the video and nothing heard fm them until I emailed again a month or so later to enquire if there was an update. Only then did they inform me of the outcome (other party at fault). i then sent this to the wkshop that was handling my 3rd pty insurance claim for their action. I didn't do OD.

btw i'm assuming that u caught the culprit's vehicle plate and it's a SG vehicle, not foreign registered

Is was clear sunny day, vehicle number and colour and type and driver all caught on video. He basically cannot escape. On top of that got front and rear police CCTV aiming at my car.

IO already got my video, but very sure the TP attending to me, went around to check for near CCTV.

Plate number, vehicle type, race clothing of culprit very clear ....can see his Apple Iwatch too!

Was biased toward doing third party...guess will do this. 

• Praise 1

Actually I was thinking about this, can’t claim his insurance doesn’t mean can’t claim him right?  The insurance is as much to protect him as you, if his insurance is not paying he has to pay.  

Twincharged
8 minutes ago, Chongster said:

Actually I was thinking about this, can’t claim his insurance doesn’t mean can’t claim him right?  The insurance is as much to protect him as you, if his insurance is not paying he has to pay.  

You need to have lawyer file claims. Which is why it is good to get the workshops to do it. They tie up with lawyers to send letter of demand. Obviously they and the lawyers take a cut. 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 2

Supersonic

This topic discussed countless times liao. SOP below:

1. Make polis report

2. Bring to insurance approved workshop 

3. Claim own policy 

4. NCD shld not be affected as it's not insured's fault 

5. Collect car n go wash w flower water

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

@Soya 

5 hours ago, Soya said:

1. Make polis report

3. Claim own policy 

Correct. Already paid so much for comprehensive insurance why still go and headache when accident happens!

Drive coe lao Musso don’t need to go through so much hassel

also no need scared the other guy never report insurance :XD:

• Haha! 3

12 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

You need to have lawyer file claims. Which is why it is good to get the workshops to do it. They tie up with lawyers to send letter of demand. Obviously they and the lawyers take a cut. 

Yes, if other party insurance discharge the fellow, you can send lawyer to get him to pay out of his pocket.

That's what happened in my case.

• Praise 1

On 4/11/2021 at 1:25 PM, Soya said:

1. Make polis report

3. Claim own policy 

4th hit and run on 3 cars. This car kenna  second hit and run + 2 scratch and run, cannot tahan keep doing OD claim(Excess) or Own Pocket Claim. Flower water? Can use the whole plant?  

• Shocked 1

@Windwaver 

Learnt something new from here, get own workshop to do is better. Relationship plays a part, getting so called "unknown" but assigned approved WS, they practically bohchap when things goes south, getting paid ultimately, either by culprit or owner does not make a different to them.

I guess own insurance couldn't careless either, even if they cannot claim, they get the insured to pay.

• Praise 1

Supersonic
4 hours ago, 999 said:

4th hit and run on 3 cars. This car kenna  second hit and run + 2 scratch and run, cannot tahan keep doing OD claim(Excess) or Own Pocket Claim. Flower water? Can use the whole plant?  

Kena 4th time on 3 diff cars? Looks like ah gong need to set up Newflowerwater plant juz for u.......

Update on my third party claim😐. Got full claim on repair and lost of car use. 

Submitted video and report to both Traffic Police and Neighbourhoods Police Post.

Called and make claim third party claim to insurance but used own workshop. Submitted report, sketches and video recording.

Sent car in for repairs, collected in 3 days time. Workshop assisted to submit claim with lawyer. Signed agreement with lawyer to engage them for claim to other party.

Waited about 5 months for claim to go through.

No payment from own pockets.

*mod can merge to other hit and run thread if deem fit.

Edited by 999
typo
  • Praise 3

35 minutes ago, 999 said:

Update on my third party claim😐. Got full claim on repair and lost of car use. 

Submitted video and report to both Traffic Police and Neighbourhoods Police Post.

Called and make claim third party claim to insurance but used own workshop. Submitted report, sketches and video recording.

Sent car in for repairs, collected in 3 days time. Workshop assisted to submit claim with lawyer. Signed agreement with lawyer to engage them for claim to other party.

Waited about 5 months for claim to go through.

No payment from own pockets.

*mod can merge to other hit and run thread if deem fit.

I guess you are lucky that the guy admitted in the end. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1