Indonesia searching for missing submarine with 53 on board

steveluv

58 minutes ago, Adrianli said:

I doubt any torpedo exploded. It would have registered a significant reading on the Richter scale for undersea earthquake measurements. Looks more like the submarine has been crushed, it dived too deep.

More like sink, not dive . 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

noob question here ...

didn't the sub submit plans of its route to Navy HQ before departure ?

days were wasted trying to locate the sub when this info should already be in Navy HQ possession.

search and rescue operations could have commenced earlier instead of wasting days trying to locate the sub.

tio boh ? [confused]

• Praise 6

Turbocharged

I'm always intrigued when there are such naval incidents in our regional waters. I'm certain many neighbouring forces picked up signals they shouldnt have... esp Oz, Sg, China, US ("tsunami detection"  buoys ) but have to pretend they don't know, and rely on passing hints (like Oz did).

Edited by Karoon

1 hour ago, Blueray said:

noob question here ...

didn't the sub submit plans of its route to Navy HQ before departure ?

days were wasted trying to locate the sub when this info should already be in Navy HQ possession.

search and rescue operations could have commenced earlier instead of wasting days trying to locate the sub.

tio boh ? [confused]

In SG, yes for standard cruising. In Indon, i don't think so. 

In war games mode. Only need to submit area of operations. It can be pretty large area. Within the area, if got live firing, need to do range clearance. Vessels separate into orange and blue forces. So exact location may not be possible. 

• Praise 10

5 hours ago, Tohto said:

Torpedo failed to launch and exploded?

The torpedo drill they had mentioned should be simulating a torpedo attack from a simulated enemy sub. But in reality there is no torpedo attack. The captain would often come up with drills to keep the crew alert. If they are able to tell the media it's a torpedo drill most likely it is a scheduled practice that the HQ would know about.

The sub would dive swiftly or whatever to attempt to dodge the attack. My guess is smth went wrong from there.

• Praise 3

Missing Indonesian submarine has sunk, objects recovered: Military chief 

He said that a scan has detected what might be the submarine at 850m. The vessel is built to withstand a depth of up to 500m. 

“Because it is at the depth of 850m, it is very risky and very difficult for an ROV (remotely operated underwater vehicle) … to lift it,” the navy chief added.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/indonesia-missing-submarine-sank-debris-found-kri-nanggala-14685170

:a-rip:

poor souls. The terror of imminent death and drowning.

Among all the dangers of the ocean, being in a sinking submarine is definitely the worst.

• Praise 1
  • Sad 3

10 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Among all the dangers of the ocean, being in a sinking submarine is definitely the worst.

Among all the armed services.. subs surely deserve the highest pay.. more than pilots imo... terrible way to go if anything at all happens. 

No ejection,  no exit vehicle,  no stop and get off, no jump out window... 命苦

• Sad 3

45 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Yeah old tanks and warships in case of breakdown still ok. But fighter jets, heli and sub need proper maintenance and cannot be too old. 

• Praise 1

17 hours ago, Watwheels said:

The torpedo drill they had mentioned should be simulating a torpedo attack from a simulated enemy sub. But in reality there is no torpedo attack. The captain would often come up with drills to keep the crew alert. If they are able to tell the media it's a torpedo drill most likely it is a scheduled practice that the HQ would know about.

The sub would dive swiftly or whatever to attempt to dodge the attack. My guess is smth went wrong from there.

There are various types of torpedo drills. From my previous experience, torpedo drills meant firing of a dummy torpedo. Firing of a torpedo uses compressed air, very high pressure. I do not think I can reveal the amount of air pressure here. As a technician, we need to charge up the air tanks for the guys to use to air.

The dummy torpedo comes with a tracker and sound emitting device. After firing, we would send a small boat out to recover the torpedo to be reused again. Oh man this was my nightmare. As I was also in charge of the small dinghy boat. We ever lost the dummy torpedo and I spent a number of hours in the wide ocean in the dinghy while the guys use a probe underwater to try and find it. Both the main ship and us spread out to search. If really cannot find, ship commander would call back HQ and activate the minecounter vessels to come and search. They are more equipped with better sonar and ROV.

So you see, a dummy torpedo has no explosive. Even firing of a torpedo also uses compressed air.

I am not sure what went wrong. Whatever it is, the crew has been lost. Hope they had a painless death and RIP.

• Praise 10

38 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Glad Singapore's MV Swift managed to help capture visual confirmation and hope we can help them in whatever possible in such difficult time.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5
  • Sad 1