P0420 CEL on for RB3

Brendon1980

Hi All,

Want to check with you guys with the above mentioned ride facing the same code error and issue.

This CEL code intermittently will turn up and off initially but recently the light stays in the panel display.

Not sure if psychological, I felt that there is some drop in acceleration and power in the mid to high range. 

Already done servicing and replacement of spark plugs, heck read that it could be due to the catalytic convertor clog up so bought those flushing agents to try to remove trap carbon within the cat.

But doesn't seem to be effective and the CEL remains there.

Now here is the tricky part, it could be multiple issues,

- like loose or bad wiring

-  O2 sensor faulty

- injector problem??

- bad catalytic convertor

- exhaust leak

- probably more?

For those with the same CEL error code on their Honda Odyssey, can advise what is the common problem for this?

Worst is spend money to solve the problem when the problem is actually otherwise. Sigh...

TIA.

↡ Advertisement

1 hour ago, Brendon1980 said:

Hi All,

Want to check with you guys with the above mentioned ride facing the same code error and issue.

This CEL code intermittently will turn up and off initially but recently the light stays in the panel display.

Not sure if psychological, I felt that there is some drop in acceleration and power in the mid to high range. 

Already done servicing and replacement of spark plugs, heck read that it could be due to the catalytic convertor clog up so bought those flushing agents to try to remove trap carbon within the cat.

But doesn't seem to be effective and the CEL remains there.

Now here is the tricky part, it could be multiple issues,

- like loose or bad wiring

-  O2 sensor faulty

- injector problem??

- bad catalytic convertor

- exhaust leak

- probably more?

For those with the same CEL error code on their Honda Odyssey, can advise what is the common problem for this?

Worst is spend money to solve the problem when the problem is actually otherwise. Sigh...

TIA.

1st question: You did anything to the exhaust system lately?

2nd question: This is probably 2nd O2 sensor after header and cat, so if you have a bad cat convertor it could trigger the cel code as well

Send in to WS for checks since many possibilities. Honda...can go to SKM and queue for a while 😁

12 minutes ago, Naimed said:

1st question: You did anything to the exhaust system lately?

2nd question: This is probably 2nd O2 sensor after header and cat, so if you have a bad cat convertor it could trigger the cel code as well

Send in to WS for checks since many possibilities. Honda...can go to SKM and queue for a while 😁

Hi Naimed,

With reference to 1st question - Nope, nothing done. Car stock totally, can't possibly be attributed to amp.

With reference to 2nd question - I suspect it could be the catalytic convertor issue, but darn got 2 cat so need to find out which one or possibly both got issue...

I have considered the options need to see which one viable -

(A) send to workshop, likely will be suggested to replace the O2 sensor which may or may not be the issue and problem will come back again when the O2 sensor detect abnormality in the exhaust fumes.

(B) send to KM to diagnose and resolve the issue totally (hopefully) by replacing/repairing the faulty parts since they have more diagnostic tools to find out what could be the problem, well at least a more accurate pinpoint of the fault. But will surely cost will not be cheap. Not sure if they will trial and error but end up charging only parts that warrant change/repair or also trial and error and lump the cost up...

(C) go to KM to identify the problem then pay some fees for that and go to outside WS to repair? But then again the diagnostic may not be pinpoint and may be other issues.

which is a better option?

4 hours ago, Brendon1980 said:

Hi All,

go google loh.

it already say bank 1. 

the most common and easy way to fix is to replace bank 1 o2 sensor.

but of course no ws or mech will promise u 100% replacing that will fix the issue 100% , its recommended to replace to try only.

or u can try cleaning using catalyst cleaner. some ws do that. i think about 80 buks can be done, but same also, no 1 will promise u 100% can fix, its also try only.

2 hours ago, Brendon1980 said:

Hi Naimed,

With reference to 1st question - Nope, nothing done. Car stock totally, can't possibly be attributed to amp.

With reference to 2nd question - I suspect it could be the catalytic convertor issue, but darn got 2 cat so need to find out which one or possibly both got issue...

(A) send to workshop, likely will be suggested to replace the O2 sensor which may or may not be the issue and problem will come back again when the O2 sensor detect abnormality in the exhaust fumes.

(B) send to KM to diagnose and resolve the issue totally (hopefully) by replacing/repairing the faulty parts since they have more diagnostic tools to find out what could be the problem, well at least a more accurate pinpoint of the fault. But will surely cost will not be cheap. Not sure if they will trial and error but end up charging only parts that warrant change/repair or also trial and error and lump the cost up...

(C) go to KM to identify the problem then pay some fees for that and go to outside WS to repair? But then again the diagnostic may not be pinpoint and may be other issues.

RB3 is COE Odyssey? If you are not the 1st owner, then could be something the previous owner did. If you are 1st owner from new, probably just O2 sensor failed or cat is failing. 

If COE car, don't really need to go back to KM. Any competent WS who does a lot of Honda cars will do too. They swap in O2 sensor and CEL goes away, its really an easy and quick fix. If CEL still there, they will check upstream but this is not really a major problem lah. Car >10 years old, drop in performance is normal. 

IMO the error code is already the specific one.

If there are two sensors in bank1 and 2 the code will be different for the mechanic to differentiate and identify. 

For usual case like this if only one fault code appears you dont have to troubleshoot. It is most likely a clear cut sensor replacement. It is unless there are 2-3 fault codes popping up then you will have a headache on what is giving you a problem. Say for eg. air sensor and the cat both fault code appear then maybe there are some kinda leak.

• Praise 1

Twincharged
3 hours ago, Brendon1980 said:

Hi Naimed,

cheapest is to dismantle exhaust and look into the catalytic converter and then followed by cleaning the o2 sensor.

Currently only display that error code. Guess could be likely the sensor or wiring issue...(hopefully, keeping fingers crossed). Probably will have it replaced and see.

Yup, Namied.

2 hours ago, Naimed said:

RB3 is COE Odyssey? If you are not the 1st owner, then could be something the previous owner did. If you are 1st owner from new, probably just O2 sensor failed or cat is failing. 

If COE car, don't really need to go back to KM. Any competent WS who does a lot of Honda cars will do too. They swap in O2 sensor and CEL goes away, its really an easy and quick fix. If CEL still there, they will check upstream but this is not really a major problem lah. Car >10 years old, drop in performance is normal. 

yup, just renew the COE 4months back. 

Guess will probably try my luck at replacing the senor and wirings, hopefully that resolve the CEL code fault... thou I am not sure if the drop in mid to high range pickup is partially attributed to the clogged cat which triggered the fault code... 

1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

cheapest is to dismantle exhaust and look into the catalytic converter and then followed by cleaning the o2 sensor.

Yeah I guess probably so, likely will do so concurrently to check the cat converter when replacing the O2 sensor and wirings...

The catalytic convertor is choked with carbon and need to be flushed out. The fastest way out is to us a cleaner that can pump in washing detergent.

U3C_drg.jpg

U3C_opt.jpg

U3C.jpg

Edited by Yeobh
  • Praise 1

36 minutes ago, Yeobh said:

The catalytic convertor is choked with carbon and need to be flushed out. The fastest way out is to us a cleaner that can pump in washing detergent.

U3C_drg.jpg

U3C_opt.jpg

U3C.jpg

Yup i do this with  the liqui moly cleaner. Plus replacing my sensor also.

That was years ago.

(Replace both sensor together)

Oxygen sensor fault quite common I guess?

My car got 2. 😅 P0134 and P0171.

Can I assume that Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the sensor at the manifold (upper) and not the exhaust (lower)?

If it is an Old Car,& the Car work Perfectly Fine,just drive,maybe go for a high Engine Speed Run,put 2-3 Gear,off the Aircon,try to cruise at 5,000rpm...

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1