$13.6m payout for injured cyclist

RadX

Why he never go home. There the medical TC cheaper liao.

This reminds me of the other case along stevens road I think. That abt 2m

One errant motorist and one leotard in the wrong place and the wrong time and every other motorist in Singapore pays in the form of increased premiums.

Was it mentioned who the insurer was?

• Praise 6
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 1

(edited)
21 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

One errant motorist and one leotard in the wrong place and the wrong time and every other motorist in Singapore pays in the form of increased premiums.

Was it mentioned who the insurer was?

You could expect an increase in premium if the entire industry is making underwriting loss.

Some of this amount would likely be claimable from reinsurer. Any impact on PL would likely hit in prior years. Not in current financial year.

Edited by inlinesix

Supersonic
(edited)

Register all cyclists with highly visible plates. Make them take up their own insurance (minimally third party, ideally comprehensive). This should be mandatory before allowing them on public roads, especially ones with a limit over 40km/h (i.e. pretty much all non-residential roads). I don't really give a stuff about forcing theory lessons or practical lessons for licensure. The MAMILs *know* the rules. They often just don't care. 

Why am I making such a "heartless", callous comment on this sad thread? Because, while I feel for this Swiss guy and his family, the culture of cycling in sg has to change. Emboldened cyclists take ridiculous risks. They endanger not only themselves but also other road users. And, yes, they endanger car drivers too. People who may have to take avoidant action and crash themselves. People who make have to live with the lifelong consequences of an accident with a cyclist like the driver here. It's not just financial consequences, anyone who's not a psychopath will have emotional scars from it. 

Drivers are visibly registered. Drivers pay for at least third party insurance, as mandated by law. The number of errant drivers are vastly outnumbered by the law abiding ones. That doesn't obviate the need for these laws. So "black sheep" arguments hold no water for cyclists either. 

Just do it already, goddamnit!! 

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 32
  • Haha! 1

Those MAMILs always ride like they have "golden body". Now he gets a nice pot of gold but have to deal with a broken body beyond repair. Worth it or not. Indirectly all the motorists now have to take on the burden of supporting this turd for the rest of his life. Really 害人害己

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

Oh Shyt, I think this case will just encourage more poor (financially) MAMILs to get themselves hit by cars and hope for a pot of gold.... 

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 6

2 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Oh Shyt, I think this case will just encourage more poor (financially) MAMILs to get themselves hit by cars and hope for a pot of gold.... 

I hope that this drives those cyclists on the other end of the food chain, the food delivery guys especially, to reflect on their ways. They certainly would not get even close to the pot of gold the Swiss elite got if they were hit. Likely next to nothing after accounting for legal fees

car hit cyclist car insurance pay.

cyclist hit car or cause accident cyclist insurance pay.

fair right

• Praise 6

Hypersonic
(edited)
3 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Register all cyclists with highly visible plates. Make them take up their own insurance (minimally third party, ideally comprehensive). This should be mandatory before allowing them on public roads, especially ones with a limit over 40km/h (i.e. pretty much all non-residential roads). I don't really give a stuff about forcing theory lessons or practical lessons for licensure. The MAMILs *know* the rules. They often just don't care. 

Why am I making such a "heartless", callous comment on this sad thread? Because, while I feel for this Swiss guy and his family, the culture of cycling in sg has to change. Emboldened cyclists take ridiculous risks. They endanger not only themselves but also other road users. And, yes, they endanger car drivers too. People who may have to take avoidant action and crash themselves. People who make have to live with the lifelong consequences of an accident with a cyclist like the driver here. It's not just financial consequences, anyone who's not a psychopath will have emotional scars from it. 

Drivers are visibly registered. Drivers pay for at least third party insurance, as mandated by law. The number of errant drivers are vastly outnumbered by the law abiding ones. That doesn't obviate the need for these laws. So "black sheep" arguments hold no water for cyclists either. 

I agree. Anyone riding on public roads insure. If u ride on pcn, then can waive. Get caught riding, confiscate their 4 digit bikes. 

Let some local artist collect them and make it into a sculpture. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 2

12 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I agree. Anyone riding on public roads insure. If u ride on pcn, then can waive. Get caught riding, confiscate their 4 digit bikes. 

Let some local artist collect them and make it into a sculpture. 

Actually, those on PCN requires to be insured more than those on the road.

That is to protect pedestrian (weaker party).

That’s why all food delivery persons are required to have 3rd party liability cover.

• Praise 3

Hypersonic
1 hour ago, Volvobrick said:

No wonder they buy expensive cycling shoes and bicycles.

Its an INVESTMENT!

:grin:

I am going to tell my MIL all the benefits of cycling

and buy her the BEST cycling equipment.

NIGHT cycling as day time so hot.

image.png.b49d9ed2857710a7840751de6215590e.png

image.png.1bd189f1889618217351b5c15ecefde9.png

• Haha! 7

Hypersonic
On 5/2/2021 at 10:25 AM, Ganwb79 said:

Now he gets a nice pot of gold but have to deal with a broken body beyond repair.

Worth it or not.

Yah lah worth it or not?

Cannot even eat yourself need someone to feed you.

Cannot even bathe yourself need someone to bathe you.

Eveyday need physio therapy.

:D

You want this every day or not?

Who wants this? Faster get your bicycle out.

image.png.602085e414d9c2c694102446fbbf90af.png

image.png.52642a5539cfd55dcb8c9be6ed21b8b7.png

image.png

• Shocked 2
  • Haha! 14

Supersonic
4 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

This is a ridiculous good post.

The article didn't say which lane the cyclist was on but given that the motorist hit him while changing lane, I think I can infer..

That insurer should appeal the judge's decision.

If the cyclist is not cycling on the left-most lane where people expect him to be cycling, then the liability should not be 100% on the motorist.

• Praise 9
  • Haha! 1

5th Gear

You want to ride on the road, you register your bicycle or PMD. You also need to buy insurance as well. 

No such thing as you want to use the road and yet you can get away with claims against you.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 11