$13.6m payout for injured cyclist

RadX

Turbocharged
8 hours ago, Weez911 said:

I had a quick chat with some of my friends who work in banks and they told me promotion is never confirm until the letter is received. This is more so at the senior management level. The judge has effectively factored in his promotion as a sure thing and prorate his "new salary" to the rest of this banking career, not considering factors like retrenchment, termination,  relocation or reassignment to another role within the bank. The judge could have just asked HR experts from banks and they would have said the same thing.

I read in the judgment that there is an appeal going on. I hope the appeal is successful.  

Banks very volatile, it's a cut throat industry.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
On 5/2/2021 at 8:38 AM, Turboflat4 said:

Register all cyclists with highly visible plates. Make them take up their own insurance (minimally third party, ideally comprehensive). This should be mandatory before allowing them on public roads, especially ones with a limit over 40km/h (i.e. pretty much all non-residential roads). I don't really give a stuff about forcing theory lessons or practical lessons for licensure. The MAMILs *know* the rules. They often just don't care. 

Why am I making such a "heartless", callous comment on this sad thread? Because, while I feel for this Swiss guy and his family, the culture of cycling in sg has to change. Emboldened cyclists take ridiculous risks. They endanger not only themselves but also other road users. And, yes, they endanger car drivers too. People who may have to take avoidant action and crash themselves. People who make have to live with the lifelong consequences of an accident with a cyclist like the driver here. It's not just financial consequences, anyone who's not a psychopath will have emotional scars from it. 

Drivers are visibly registered. Drivers pay for at least third party insurance, as mandated by law. The number of errant drivers are vastly outnumbered by the law abiding ones. That doesn't obviate the need for these laws. So "black sheep" arguments hold no water for cyclists either. 

Just do it already, goddamnit!! 

Same line of reasoning - If the car I am driving does not have a visible plate, I will probably be banging a lot of these pests down. 😁

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

2014 no car cam evidence? From what was reported, it seems that its the cyclist's word against the driver's. And the judge regarded the driver's testimony as bulls**t. 

Supersonic

Is the judge a driver?

It's very common to see a pair of amdk cycling on the middle and right lanes.In fact, I seldom see them adhering to our traffic rules.

If the judge drives, he should know...

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

5 hours ago, Beregond said:

because the guy using the escooter is unable to pay her personally, shoot him bankruptcy he also no money pay.

the AM is pay 13m because the car is insured, if the car is not insured,  i bet the driver cannot even pay 1m from him own pocket, most properly go jail and kenna fine only.

And that’s my point actually ie cyclists shld also be insured else when accidents happen, victims will not be protected. The auntie deserves to be compensated just as much as the cyclist. Her life is not less worthy than the banker. 

• Praise 5

Wow how the court know the guy will continue working for the next 14 years.

Won’t get fired for poor performance, won’t get retrenched, won’t choose to early retire, or won’t be one of those angmoh who broke covid laws and get kicked out of the country?? Using expected future income to calculate payout in such an uncertain future is really ridiculous.

Apart from that, I hope the government ban cycling on roads for recreational. The negative externalities of leisure road cycling is much more than positive externalities. So many unnecessary injuries and death. And even without those, it slows down the traffic which leads to increase air pollution.

I always tell those who told me they cycle to work to be environmentally friendly that they are very wrong, cause they indirectly contribute even more pollution by slowing down the traffic.

Those who love cycling should just stick to the parks or trails…….

• Praise 6

Supercharged

13 million cannot buy back how he used to enjoy life. Basically there is no life on his own anymore. He depends on others to live now. 

Regardless of what really happens, if I'm the cyclist, I will definitely regret the decision to cycle.

• Praise 3

(edited)
3 hours ago, Spring said:

And that’s my point actually ie cyclists shld also be insured else when accidents happen, victims will not be protected. The auntie deserves to be compensated just as much as the cyclist. Her life is not less worthy than the banker. 

That auntie is my close colleague's auntie, and when she broke down and cried over the death and going to the wake and seeing the whole family mourning, I felt it so strongly, really unfair, damn tilted. My heart really goes out to the innocent parties

Just the thought of all these makes me RAGE, FKed up society we have here.

When it happens to someone you know or their family, it really hits alot harder.

Edited by SiLangKia
  • Praise 4
  • Sad 2

23 hours ago, Weez911 said:

I had a quick chat with some of my friends who work in banks and they told me promotion is never confirm until the letter is received. This is more so at the senior management level. The judge has effectively factored in his promotion as a sure thing and prorate his "new salary" to the rest of this banking career, not considering factors like retrenchment, termination,  relocation or reassignment to another role within the bank. The judge could have just asked HR experts from banks and they would have said the same thing.

I read in the judgment that there is an appeal going on. I hope the appeal is successful.  

Perhaps swiss bank (that I never heard of before) operates differently. Anyway he was already executive director or something quite high, so even if the appeal is successful at best the insurer pay out 1 to 2 mil less.

I guess the lesson here is that any cyclist on the road could be a golden goose, so drivers better stay far far away.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Hypersonic

Payout is based on insured vs not insured that's why amdk got paid but pedestrians won't get a single cent if knocked down by cyclists/pmd.

• Praise 4

Supersonic
(edited)
45 minutes ago, boonhat_91 said:

Perhaps swiss bank (that I never heard of before) operates differently. Anyway he was already executive director or something quite high, so even if the appeal is successful at best the insurer pay out 1 to 2 mil less.

I guess the lesson here is that any cyclist on the road could be a golden goose, so drivers better stay far far away.

My friends said a MD could earn significantly more than an ED. We are not talking about 1 to 2m here but 4 to 5m. It's a lot.

You can also go to Glassdoor to see the thereabouts.

Edited by Weez911

6 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

My friends said a MD could earn significantly more than an ED. We are not talking about 1 to 2m here but 4 to 5m. It's a lot.

You can also go Glassdoor to see.

I see. I'm too small fry to know the diff, even just an ED is many leagues above my pay grade. The article said MD senior adviser, is that earning power again significantly more than MD?

In that case the assumed promotion should be looked into carefully.

On 5/3/2021 at 9:48 AM, Watwheels said:

It is amazing what you are able to find just by Googling names.

I was curious about how this happen. So I Googled the Swiss national's name. Mothership usually have more details.

https://mothership.sg/2021/05/cyclist-accident-13-6-million-payout/

Saw the driver's name, Ye Xianrong...Google.

Found court documents...the Swiss is neither a citizen nor a PR here. His kids were 1 and 3yo when it happened. I dunno why ppl take such risks.

https://www.supremecourt.gov.sg/docs/default-source/module-document/judgement/-2021-sghc-77-s908-of-2015-(ad1-of-2020)-pdf.pdf

Found more details on how the accident happened....

https://www.supremecourt.gov.sg/docs/default-source/module-document/judgement/s908-of-2015-gd---(final)-pdf.pdf

I didnt read all. Just wanted to find out who was at fault, really. And as expected...imo the cyclist. He did not keep to his left most side of the road. But the court will usually take the side of the vulnerable one. You can dont take my word for it.

Sucks for the driver. $5K fine and ban for 3 years.

I read the last document and I feel there are some points that smell fishy.

1. When is Brickland Road in Jurong? WTF.

2. The driver's testimony states that he let the cyclists past him on lane 2 heading towards lane 3, before he continued on his way in the filter lane which would become lane 3 of Brickland.

3. Reading on, he says he then proceeded to check his blindspot, to change to lane 2 when the cyclist suddenly appeared in front of him while he was still in lane 3? If point 2 is correct, then he should already be mindful of the cyclists' presence on lane 3 and to make sure he has pulled clear of the cyclists before proceeding to make any lane change to lane 2.

4.  Using GPS data as evidence. Many of us will know that GPS data is not 100% accurate and can have discrepancies of up to 3M, how can they use GPS data to determine distances of 1.7M and 50cm accordingly?

If my guess is correct, the cyclists were still on the lane markings between lane 2 and 3 and in the midst of completing their lane change to lane 3, when this car came up from behind (filter lane to lane 3) and knocked the cyclist down, also while performing the lane change from lane 3 to lane 2.

• Praise 1

On 5/3/2021 at 11:48 AM, Weez911 said:

I sense bias coming from somewhere here... I won't say where the bias is from, I just feel there is bias :D

Looks like AMDK, regardless of their physical condition :D

20 hours ago, Spring said:

The auntie that was knocked down by an e-scooter some time back was not paid a single cent if I remember correctly. But when the reverse happens ie cyclist being knocked down by car, cyclist is paid millions $. Seems ironic n skewed to me.

Because bicycles and PMDs do not have mandatory 3rd party insurance cover, which is why there is so much chaos now regards to cyclists and PMD users.

Car users suck thumb and their own **** because motor vehicles are required to have 3rd party insurance cover at least.

16 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Same line of reasoning - If the car I am driving does not have a visible plate, I will probably be banging a lot of these pests down. 😁

+1 :D

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Beehive3783 said:

+1 :D

Cannot be trace with no repercussions...why not?

That’s their thinking too.

Edited by Fcw75
↡ Advertisement