$13.6m payout for injured cyclist

RadX

20 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Cannot be trace with no repercussions...why not?

That’s their thinking too.

Yeah. Why not? :D

↡ Advertisement

15 hours ago, pengu said:

Wow how the court know the guy will continue working for the next 14 years.

Won’t get fired for poor performance, won’t get retrenched, won’t choose to early retire, or won’t be one of those angmoh who broke covid laws and get kicked out of the country?? Using expected future income to calculate payout in such an uncertain future is really ridiculous.

Apart from that, I hope the government ban cycling on roads for recreational. The negative externalities of leisure road cycling is much more than positive externalities. So many unnecessary injuries and death. And even without those, it slows down the traffic which leads to increase air pollution.

I always tell those who told me they cycle to work to be environmentally friendly that they are very wrong, cause they indirectly contribute even more pollution by slowing down the traffic.

Those who love cycling should just stick to the parks or trails…….

The court also wouldn't know if will get promoted again in the 14 years, annual pay increment, or he got head hunted and got significant pay increment.

My brother in law works in the bank and he got head hunted quite a few times and each time he moves we are talking about 20% increment at least. 

You are right it's no one knows if he will carry in working and get the expected future income if this accident did not happen, but one thing we do know for sure is that with this accident he can't carry on working and will definitely no longer have the chance to work anymore. 

I do not like reckless cyclist on the road especially AM who challenge the drivers to knock them down and flip the bird.

But if the accident is really due to the driver then the cyclist deserve to be compensated for his loss of future income. 

Supercharged
2 hours ago, Beehive3783 said:

I read the last document and I feel there are some points that smell fishy.

1. When is Brickland Road in Jurong? WTF.

2. The driver's testimony states that he let the cyclists past him on lane 2 heading towards lane 3, before he continued on his way in the filter lane which would become lane 3 of Brickland.

3. Reading on, he says he then proceeded to check his blindspot, to change to lane 2 when the cyclist suddenly appeared in front of him while he was still in lane 3? If point 2 is correct, then he should already be mindful of the cyclists' presence on lane 3 and to make sure he has pulled clear of the cyclists before proceeding to make any lane change to lane 2.

4.  Using GPS data as evidence. Many of us will know that GPS data is not 100% accurate and can have discrepancies of up to 3M, how can they use GPS data to determine distances of 1.7M and 50cm accordingly?

If my guess is correct, the cyclists were still on the lane markings between lane 2 and 3 and in the midst of completing their lane change to lane 3, when this car came up from behind (filter lane to lane 3) and knocked the cyclist down, also while performing the lane change from lane 3 to lane 2.

I also think the GPS data should not have been taken into consideration for the absolute position at all. It should only be proof that that the cyclist was there at the location when the accident. At the most, probably the speed at which cyclist is traveling. No more than that.  

• Praise 1

@Weez911 I absolutely agree with Weez911 on this.

How can the judge assume that this idiot WILL be promoted in the future ?

It's a 50/50 case .

He could maintain his performance or he could also screww up and get the sack too !!!

But my main concern is the direction our judges are making decisions these days.

Just look at the "promising NUS student"case and other similar ones to actually think we are going the way of the West, in particlar, America. 

• Praise 1

On 5/5/2021 at 2:31 PM, mikk123 said:

that amount will translate to the future increase in insurance premium..... As a driver you just have to pay more and more....

Not necessary.

It is likely that $4m will hit the P&L.  The remaining amount is recoverable from reinsurer.

I usually see an increase in premium when motor insurance market is making an underwriting loss.

↡ Advertisement