$13.6m payout for injured cyclist

RadX

Twincharged

Just wonder,after Insurance Payout,does the Insurer still does random checks on the Victim.?

↡ Advertisement

6th Gear
19 hours ago, Alg said:

You want to ride on the road, you register your bicycle or PMD. You also need to buy insurance as well. 

No such thing as you want to use the road and yet you can get away with claims against you.

Pay road tax while they are at it. "What's wrong with collecting more money?"

Supersonic
8 hours ago, Windwaver said:

Justice Vinodh estimated that Mr Pollmann, taking an average bonus of 35 per cent a year, would have earned around $658,000 annually for the next 14 years.

In the first four years after the accident, Mr Pollmann's wife, 44, quit her job paying $9,600 a month to care for him. Their children are aged eight and 10.

I didn't know promotion is a sure thing. The judge actually factor his future in. 

"Justice Vinodh believed Mr Pollmann, who is living in Singapore, would have been promoted to managing director senior adviser last year had the accident not happened."

I really hope that insurer appeals...

• Praise 1

Supersonic
11 hours ago, Ho2786 said:

tomorrow I go buy bicycle

and everyday I will ride it in the roads

hopefully one day I can get 13.6 million too.

He got 13.6 million because he was brain damaged by the accident. 

Cannot be brain damaged before the accident hor. 😁

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

Twincharged
On 5/2/2021 at 9:05 AM, ER-3682 said:

If this happened in America,i think the payout exceeded US$100 Millions.

if we implement like US, many will take up the sport more readily rather than looking at redesigned disruption technology work like grab 

It is amazing what you are able to find just by Googling names.

I was curious about how this happen. So I Googled the Swiss national's name. Mothership usually have more details.

https://mothership.sg/2021/05/cyclist-accident-13-6-million-payout/

Saw the driver's name, Ye Xianrong...Google.

Found court documents...the Swiss is neither a citizen nor a PR here. His kids were 1 and 3yo when it happened. I dunno why ppl take such risks.

https://www.supremecourt.gov.sg/docs/default-source/module-document/judgement/-2021-sghc-77-s908-of-2015-(ad1-of-2020)-pdf.pdf

Found more details on how the accident happened....

https://www.supremecourt.gov.sg/docs/default-source/module-document/judgement/s908-of-2015-gd---(final)-pdf.pdf

I didnt read all. Just wanted to find out who was at fault, really. And as expected...imo the cyclist. He did not keep to his left most side of the road. But the court will usually take the side of the vulnerable one. You can dont take my word for it.

Sucks for the driver. $5K fine and ban for 3 years.

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Weez911 said:

I didn't know promotion is a sure thing. The judge actually factor his future in. 

"Justice Vinodh believed Mr Pollmann, who is living in Singapore, would have been promoted to managing director senior adviser last year had the accident not happened."

I really hope that insurer appeals...

AMDK promotion is sure thing one, if not come Singapore for what

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, ER-3682 said:

Just wonder,after Insurance Payout,does the Insurer still does random checks on the Victim.?

Random checks? Insurer probably cursing under their breath already. Payout 13.6m from a nobody who probably wasn't paying a high-premium policy

• Praise 1

Supersonic
8 minutes ago, boonhat_91 said:

AMDK promotion is sure thing one, if not come Singapore for what

Next time (touchwood) if I ever get into an accident, I'm going to tell the judge my small business will become as big as Apple in 5 years' time. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

Supersonic
50 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

https://www.supremecourt.gov.sg/docs/default-source/module-document/judgement/s908-of-2015-gd---(final)-pdf.pdf

I didnt read all. Just wanted to find out who was at fault, really. And as expected...imo the cyclist. He did not keep to his left most side of the road. But the court will usually take the side of the vulnerable one. You can dont take my word for it.

Sucks for the driver. $5K fine and ban for 3 years.

I read. The cyclist represented that he has cycled on the leftmost lane during the accident but the driver represented that the cyclist swerved into his lane (2nd lane) suddenly. Both sides called upon their experts to testify, and in the end, this judge basically called the driver's testimony BS. 

Hosey liao, this means next time if cyclist is not on the leftmost lane, it will be free for all. 

• Haha! 2

if the victim died maybe less payout ?

maybe 7 millions ?

dead man no need maintenance.

• Haha! 2

Provided the family member find lawyer to sue for millions.

The Swiss national's wife will get the full payout? How many % of the 13.6mil go to the lawyer who is fighting her husband case? 

No free lunch. 

20 minutes ago, Staff69 said:

just wondering,  how much locals would get, if in similar situation 

this case is really kns

• Praise 1

Supersonic
51 minutes ago, Staff69 said:

I had a quick chat with some of my friends who work in banks and they told me promotion is never confirm until the letter is received. This is more so at the senior management level. The judge has effectively factored in his promotion as a sure thing and prorate his "new salary" to the rest of this banking career, not considering factors like retrenchment, termination,  relocation or reassignment to another role within the bank. The judge could have just asked HR experts from banks and they would have said the same thing.

I read in the judgment that there is an appeal going on. I hope the appeal is successful.  

• Praise 3

The auntie that was knocked down by an e-scooter some time back was not paid a single cent if I remember correctly. But when the reverse happens ie cyclist being knocked down by car, cyclist is paid millions $. Seems ironic n skewed to me.

• Praise 7

Twincharged
6 hours ago, Staff69 said:

Screenshot_20210503-103340_Facebook.thumb.jpg.ac6e9240cc4b256a25d52e2271ab15a4.jpg

Wonder if that facebook post is considered comptempt of the law.

4 minutes ago, Spring said:

The auntie that was knocked down by an e-scooter some time back was not paid a single cent if I remember correctly. But when the reverse happens ie cyclist being knocked down by car, cyclist is paid millions $. Seems ironic n skewed to me.

because the guy using the escooter is unable to pay her personally, shoot him bankruptcy he also no money pay.

the AM is pay 13m because the car is insured, if the car is not insured,  i bet the driver cannot even pay 1m from him own pocket, most properly go jail and kenna fine only.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4