Jump to content
Kb27

Chinese TV Skyworth collecting data

Recommended Posts

Supersonic

Be afraid, be very afraid. Anything you own made in china is possibly doing that without your knowledge.

 

https://www.scmp.com/tech/policy/article/3132091/chinese-tv-maker-skyworth-under-fire-excessive-data-collection-users?utm_content=article&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR31qScHn5ddK5JESrqD-5IlfCmK5n6yCJnqlUdmA2Rysc5uc_dhHypWwtI#Echobox=1620078768

 

Chinese TV maker Skyworth under fire for excessive data collection that users call spying

Skyworth apologised and ended its partnership with an analytics firm after a user found one of its smart TVs was collecting data on all connected devices.

Chinese television maker Skyworth has issued an apology after a consumer found that his set was quietly collecting a wide range of private data and sending it to a Beijing-based analytics company without his consent.

A network traffic analysis revealed that a Skyworth smart TV scanned for other devices connected to the same local network every 10 minutes and gathered data that included device names, IP addresses, network latency and even the names of other Wi-Fi networks within range, according to a post last week on the Chinese developer forum V2EX.

The data was sent to the Beijing-based firm Gozen Data, the forum user said. Gozen is a data analytics company that specialises in targeted advertising on smart TVs, and it calls itself China‘s first “home marketing company empowered by big data centred on family data”.

 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic
18 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

Be afraid, be very afraid. Anything you own made in china is possibly doing that without your knowledge.

 

https://www.scmp.com/tech/policy/article/3132091/chinese-tv-maker-skyworth-under-fire-excessive-data-collection-users?utm_content=article&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR31qScHn5ddK5JESrqD-5IlfCmK5n6yCJnqlUdmA2Rysc5uc_dhHypWwtI#Echobox=1620078768

 

Chinese TV maker Skyworth under fire for excessive data collection that users call spying

Skyworth apologised and ended its partnership with an analytics firm after a user found one of its smart TVs was collecting data on all connected devices.

Chinese television maker Skyworth has issued an apology after a consumer found that his set was quietly collecting a wide range of private data and sending it to a Beijing-based analytics company without his consent.

A network traffic analysis revealed that a Skyworth smart TV scanned for other devices connected to the same local network every 10 minutes and gathered data that included device names, IP addresses, network latency and even the names of other Wi-Fi networks within range, according to a post last week on the Chinese developer forum V2EX.

The data was sent to the Beijing-based firm Gozen Data, the forum user said. Gozen is a data analytics company that specialises in targeted advertising on smart TVs, and it calls itself China‘s first “home marketing company empowered by big data centred on family data”.

 

They see my sites how ah :grin:

  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic
4 minutes ago, Mustank said:

They see my sites how ah :grin:

They will send you more,  but Chinese instead of Japanese.....  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

 

  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mustank said:

They see my sites how ah :grin:

Wait they see your 10tb NAS contents.. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic
Just now, Tianmo said:

They will send you more,  but Chinese instead of Japanese.....  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

 

That is very very good outcome!! :XD:

  • Haha! 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic
Just now, Mustank said:

That is very very good outcome!! :XD:

Remember to share!!!!  ^_^[:p][laugh]

 

  • Haha! 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic
1 minute ago, Tkseah said:

Wait they see your 10tb NAS contents.. 😁

If They share their 10000 zigabyte I confirm happy :XD:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Twincharged
8 minutes ago, Mustank said:

They see my sites how ah :grin:

They will surely like them and put under favourites. 🤭

  • Haha! 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged

So if skyworth or China knows your details, what’s the outcome that is worrying?.

as long as there is no money laundry or it has the ability to alert you there was a batch problem of the food that was recently purchased, is that not something wonderful? 
 

I get that you don’t like to be spam for the next 3 weeks just because you accidentally click on a battery ad and it proposed a number of battery for your consideration but other then that intrusion, I fail to understand the big hooha.. unless it’s a cost that I suppose to get for every data that I relinquish, then of course I feel cheated.

 

  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
1 minute ago, Sdf4786k said:

So if skyworth or China knows your details, what’s the outcome that is worrying?.

as long as there is no money laundry or it has the ability to alert you there was a batch problem of the food that was recently purchased, is that not something wonderful? 

I get that you don’t like to be spam for the next 3 weeks just because you accidentally click on a battery ad and it proposed a number of battery for your consideration but other then that intrusion, I fail to understand the big hooha.. unless it’s a cost that I suppose to get for every data that I relinquish, then of course I feel cheated.

There is a lot of ppl scare of govt track them.  Maybe they can answer your doubt better.

  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic (edited)

Luckily I only surf little cat sites :grin:

 

Spoiler

 

 

Edited by Mustank
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
Just now, inlinesix said:

There is a lot of ppl scare of govt track them.  Maybe they can answer your doubt better.

Unless I am planning a new cult group to become a billionaire, I not too sure even if my medical records is exposed, what’s the risk? 
 

of course if I am mentally unsound and has tendency or have a license to kill died to my IMH program, than I probably be treated by people with some form of bias.

other then that , what’s all the privacy issue to worry? 
 

ok, maybe if HR start to question my BMI and it affects my viability for a longer term job at the company, probably I would be upset. But then I could end up suing for 200 mil for that 

  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

So if skyworth or China knows your details, what’s the outcome that is worrying?.

as long as there is no money laundry or it has the ability to alert you there was a batch problem of the food that was recently purchased, is that not something wonderful? 
 

I get that you don’t like to be spam for the next 3 weeks just because you accidentally click on a battery ad and it proposed a number of battery for your consideration but other then that intrusion, I fail to understand the big hooha.. unless it’s a cost that I suppose to get for every data that I relinquish, then of course I feel cheated.

 

unless you are some big shot, otherwise you are just one of the data collected.

  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic (edited)

China got Skyworth.....  

USA got SkyNet .... 

Europe got Skyhigh ....  

MY got SkyBoley...

SG got SkyFine (all kinds of fine you can find):wut:

Not collecting Data but collecting $$$$$$ :XD:

Edited by Picnic06-Biante15
  • Haha! 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
Just now, Jman888 said:

unless you are some big shot, otherwise you are just one of the data collected.

That what I thot so too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supercharged
1 hour ago, Kb27 said:

Be afraid, be very afraid. Anything you own made in china is possibly doing that without your knowledge.

 

https://www.scmp.com/tech/policy/article/3132091/chinese-tv-maker-skyworth-under-fire-excessive-data-collection-users

Chinese TV maker Skyworth under fire for excessive data collection that users call spying

Skyworth apologised and ended its partnership with an analytics firm after a user found one of its smart TVs was collecting data on all connected devices.

Chinese television maker Skyworth has issued an apology after a consumer found that his set was quietly collecting a wide range of private data and sending it to a Beijing-based analytics company without his consent.

A network traffic analysis revealed that a Skyworth smart TV scanned for other devices connected to the same local network every 10 minutes and gathered data that included device names, IP addresses, network latency and even the names of other Wi-Fi networks within range, according to a post last week on the Chinese developer forum V2EX.

The data was sent to the Beijing-based firm Gozen Data, the forum user said. Gozen is a data analytics company that specialises in targeted advertising on smart TVs, and it calls itself China‘s first “home marketing company empowered by big data centred on family data”.

 

Use this URL instead

 

https://www.scmp.com/tech/policy/article/3132091/chinese-tv-maker-skyworth-under-fire-excessive-data-collection-users

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supercharged
45 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

So if skyworth or China knows your details, what’s the outcome that is worrying?.

as long as there is no money laundry or it has the ability to alert you there was a batch problem of the food that was recently purchased, is that not something wonderful? 
 

I get that you don’t like to be spam for the next 3 weeks just because you accidentally click on a battery ad and it proposed a number of battery for your consideration but other then that intrusion, I fail to understand the big hooha.. unless it’s a cost that I suppose to get for every data that I relinquish, then of course I feel cheated.

 

Worry one day a porn ad pops up while the whole family is watching the tv and where to find the hole to jump into...

  • Haha! 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think just like any other devices, just dun store too much personal information. 

where else can collect more personal data than the phone?

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×