SPH to Restructure Media Business into Not-for-Profit Entity

Carbon82

I am a little confused, isn't the entire SPH a media company (minus its property and healthcare arm)? So how does this whole restructuring works? [confused]

And most importantly, in what way will sgcarmart and MCF be affected? :excl: @kobayashiGT

SPH to restructure media business into not-for-profit entity to support quality journalism

ycsph050521.jpg

SINGAPORE - Singapore Press Holdings (SPH) intends to transfer its media business to a not-for-profit company after concluding a strategic review of its various businesses.

The restructuring entails transferring all the media-related businesses including relevant subsidiaries, employees, News Centre and Print Centre along with their respective leaseholds, all related intellectual property and information technology assets to a newly incorporated wholly-owned subsidiary, SPH Media Holdings Pte Ltd ("SPH Media").

Under the restructuring proposal, SPH Media will eventually be transferred to a not-for-profit entity for a nominal sum. This will be a newly formed public company limited by guarantee, or CLG. More information on the CLG will be announced in due course, said SPH in a press statement on Thursday.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 11
  • Haha! 3

Hypersonic
(edited)

page 1

controlled by pap to sway opinions 

Lee Boon Yang (simplified Chinese: 李文献; traditional Chinese: 李文獻; pinyin: Lǐ Wén Xiàn; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Lí Bûn-hiàn; born 1 October 1947) is a Singaporean business executive and a former politician and veterinarian. He is the current chairman of Keppel Corporation and Singapore Press Holdings. Lee served in the Cabinet of Singapore from July 1991 to April 2009 in various portfolios, including Minister for Defence, Minister for Manpower, and Minister for Information, Communications and the Arts. He was also a Member of Parliament (MP) for Jalan Besar GRC from 1984 to 2011, representing the governing People's Action Party (PAP). He left politics in 2011

would only buy once a month to layover my shoes rack 🤣🤣🤣

buy on Saturday,  more bang for your buck🤣🤣🤣

20210506_120302.thumb.jpg.e45401efecb5122daf1d962e1604fdd0.jpg

Edited by Staff69
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 13

@Carbon82 Look at Group Structure below

A47489A0-0224-4B15-9434-61F5AEA0FFFB.png

Restructuring could be those under Media.

SGCM & Quotz could be Non-Media Digital business.

MCF could be IP of SGCM

• Praise 3

Internal Moderator
59 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

I am a little confused, isn't the entire SPH a media company (minus its property and healthcare arm)? So how does this whole restructuring works? [confused]

And most importantly, in what way will sgcarmart and MCF be affected? :excl: @kobayashiGT

SPH to restructure media business into not-for-profit entity to support quality journalism

ycsph050521.jpg

SINGAPORE - Singapore Press Holdings (SPH) intends to transfer its media business to a not-for-profit company after concluding a strategic review of its various businesses.

The restructuring entails transferring all the media-related businesses including relevant subsidiaries, employees, News Centre and Print Centre along with their respective leaseholds, all related intellectual property and information technology assets to a newly incorporated wholly-owned subsidiary, SPH Media Holdings Pte Ltd ("SPH Media").

Under the restructuring proposal, SPH Media will eventually be transferred to a not-for-profit entity for a nominal sum. This will be a newly formed public company limited by guarantee, or CLG. More information on the CLG will be announced in due course, said SPH in a press statement on Thursday.

We dunno yet. I know the news the same time as you guys know this news.

• Praise 1

Base on the official announcements, my quick interpretation is that the media business will be thrown out to become a non profit entity and eventually be totally unlinked from the listco SPH. It will inherit the employees, media seets, $80M cash, 2 main properties and some reit and listco shares. SPH will not receive any significant money in return ($1 sort of transfer). There was no mention of debts.

The listco will then mainly consist of property, student accom, aged care,  which are the 3 main businesses. Plus some minor businesses/investments like sgcarmart, HWZ, Mindchamps, Coupang, M1, etc.

So I think some info are still lacking. But this is the first step to eventually pave the way for the listco to formally unlock its internal value, which is to be seen.

• Praise 5

Hypersonic
1 hour ago, Carbon82 said:

ycsph050521.jpg

Maybe means now newspaper is free? :XD:

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 3

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/sph-restructure-media-business-not-profit-entity

The move will allow SPH’s media business to get funding from private and public sources, including the Government. Following several questions about maintaining editorial independence, SPH chief executive Ng Yat Chung appeared to lose his cool at the reporters present and said he took umbrage at such questions.

“(At) SPH, we always have advertising, but never pander to the needs of advertisers… The fact that you dare to question (the editorial independence) of SPH titles… I don't believe even where you come from, you concede in doing your job."

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 5

Supersonic
(edited)
17 minutes ago, noobcarbuyer said:

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/sph-restructure-media-business-not-profit-entity

The move will allow SPH’s media business to get funding from private and public sources, including the Government. Following several questions about maintaining editorial independence, SPH chief executive Ng Yat Chung appeared to lose his cool at the reporters present and said he took umbrage at such questions.

“(At) SPH, we always have advertising, but never pander to the needs of advertisers… The fact that you dare to question (the editorial independence) of SPH titles… I don't believe even where you come from, you concede in doing your job."

The problem with SPH is not that they are pandering to advertisers.. but to someone else... the magical 160 doesn't appear out of thin air you know, and the independence question is undoubtedly still relevant.

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 9
  • Haha! 1

Supersonic

Hmmm....MCF is owned by SPH Media right?

So when we TCSS in MCF means we're doing our part for non-profit altruism?

I like. 😁

• Haha! 3

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Mustank said:

Maybe means now newspaper is free? :XD:

I read online news free also not enough time :grin:, pass me a paper newspaper also wouldn't read even if it's free.

Hypersonic
Just now, Windwaver said:

I read online news free also not enough time :grin:, pass me a paper newspaper also wouldn't read even if it's free.

You don’t want, I want 

I need a lot of paper newspaper :grin:

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, noobcarbuyer said:

Ng-yat-chung.jpg

shp.jpg

Supersonic

I also didn't analyse what's this thing about "not-for-profit",

but I guess if a part (or major part) of my business is not doing well and bleeding dry, I just sideline it and call it "not-for-profit", so I can report profits for other business making money.

↡ Advertisement