SPH to Restructure Media Business into Not-for-Profit Entity

Carbon82

Internal Moderator
14 hours ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

Is he your new boss? So fast start to por?

No lah. I all for-profit one leh. No money how to eat? hahahha.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
8 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Aei................ :slow:

Too many 'HUM", you don't scared kenna Hepatitis A & B har ...  :scared:

I am hep B vacinnated le. no scare lah.

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Victor68 said:

While ranking is also BS, our media is definitely not independence lah. So as to the rest of the world including USA. In that sense we should allow more private press but if they cross the line on national securitymatters, then they have to be taken to task. 

Actually we already have private press, it is called the internet and it is driving SPH out of the print business. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

1 hour ago, Playtime said:

The amount of bull shit in ST is a new high today... and my expectations were pretty non existent already. 

Wow.. boomz... choice and diversity??? 🤮🤮🤮🤮

Every thing involved has pap stamped, tattooed,  carved on its forehead. 

Really shameless to come and spin it as anything else. 

20210511_080733.jpg

We're 160th now right? Just 18 more places to move downwards to the last place of 178th. 

With SPH media now fully funded by the gov, of course they will have to listen to the grand paymaster and shed all remaining ounces of credibility, especially when politics or touchy subjects of national interests (aka CECA etc., Covid oversights) are concerned. This is the inevitable. 

• Haha! 1

(edited)

IMO the need to control of what is being said in public or what the public is able to access to is necessary.

What the West or some org rank us at whatever rank in the freedom of press is utter BS. Their definition of freedom of press is linked to democracy. But like most things and ppl it has a major flaw. Just look at the pandemic. Places where there are plenty of freedom of press ppl dont wear mask, they think the virus is a hoax, they think the vaccine will harm them more than the virus. Donald Trump who was president of US back then is free to say whatever he wants has in turn have the social media censor his tweets and postings, not the other way around.

On the other hand where places dont have so call much freedom in the press have the situation under controlled. Most ppl wear mask, follow social distancing and take their vaccine doses. 

I take the BS ranking of 160 with a pinch of salt. They are free to say what they want but the fact is the freedom of press has its pros and cons. Why dont they come up with a ranking to say what countries make things up that are not true? Or call them liars? LoL...

Peace and stability in the country is also dependent on this freedom of press. If this freedom of press gives us more cons than pros why should we adopt it? I'm not saying our current system is perfect but it gives us peace and stability. 

Edited by Watwheels

1 hour ago, kobayashiGT said:

No lah. I all for-profit one leh. No money how to eat? hahahha.

Oh, you guys are on the $$$ side. hahaha

But non-profit also can eat la. Remember the guy who ate a lot of peanuts?

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
3 minutes ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

Oh, you guys are on the $$$ side. hahaha

But non-profit also can eat la. Remember the guy who ate a lot of peanuts?

hahaha. who is that guy?

The only time I eat peanuts is when I visit a funeral.

(edited)
17 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

IMO the need to control of what is being said in public or what the public is able to access to is necessary.

What the West or some org rank us at whatever rank in the freedom of press is utter BS. Their definition of freedom of press is linked to democracy. But like most things and ppl it has a major flaw. Just look at the pandemic. Places where there are plenty of freedom of press ppl dont wear mask, they think the virus is a hoax, they think the vaccine will harm them more than the virus. Donald Trump who was president of US back then is free to say whatever he wants has in turn have the social media censor his tweets and postings, not the other way around.

On the other hand where places dont have so call much freedom in the press have the situation under controlled. Most ppl wear mask, follow social distancing and take their vaccine doses. 

I take the BS ranking of 160 with a pinch of salt. They are free to say what they want but the fact is the freedom of press has its pros and cons. Why dont they come up with a ranking to say what countries make things up that are not true? Or call them liars? LoL...

Peace and stability in the country is also dependent on this freedom of press. If this freedom of press gives us more cons than pros why should we adopt it?

Aiyah, this kind of argument again. Buay sian ah? Somehow there is a degree of Stockholm syndrome in what you wrote. I take umbrage in your argument, other people might be a gentleman to agree to disagree, but I am not 😁

There are countries with press freedom and they got the situation under control. Australia, New Zealand, Taiwan, South Korea, Germany etc. Using US as a prime example of press freedom screwing up the country's covid response is easy, likewise the use of China as one to say it's precisely the lack of press freedom which contributes to its containment success. 

I'm more concern of the SPH painting a nice picture to everyone who is willing to believe it that our Covid response had no fallacies. You know there are misleading articles insinuating it's the fault of the locals when the mutated strains are imported in by our policies, which is too late to respond as the situation blew up in India. 

Edited by Lethalstrike
  • Praise 6
  • Haha! 4

8 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

hahaha. who is that guy?

The only time I eat peanuts is when I visit a funeral.

Maybe you are too young to remember. Can google nkf peanut.

20 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Peace and stability in the country is also dependent on this freedom of press. If this freedom of press gives us more cons than pros why should we adopt it? I'm not saying our current system is perfect but it gives us peace and stability. 

Scandinavian countries cited by Min Shan are peaceful and stable. They are also ranked high in press freedom. So we have to look for positive models.

While there is no need to copy blindly any model of governance, we should consider improving the system instead of status quo.

• Praise 4

4 hours ago, Tianmo said:

SPH Media will be cut out as an independent entity,  after the split,  they will have nothing to do with the list co,  which has no new name yet. 

With the split,  the new list Co is unlikely to be appointed as the guarantor. Base on what has been reported,  if the gov is prepared to fund SPH media, it is very likely the gov will undertake as guarantor. 

Ah kaw will be answerable to the guarantors, but he might not report to them.  Low chance he and umbrage will have anything to do with each other.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Hui Ge is Chairman of the Board.

CEO likely to be current SPH Deputy CEO.

24 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

Aiyah, this kind of argument again. Buay sian ah? Somehow there is a degree of Stockholm syndrome in what you wrote. I take umbrage in your argument, other people might be a gentleman to agree to disagree, but I am not 😁

There are countries with press freedom and they got the situation under control. Australia, New Zealand, Taiwan, South Korea, Germany etc. Using US as a prime example of press freedom screwing up the country's covid response is easy, likewise the use of China as one to say it's precisely the lack of press freedom which contributes to its containment success. 

I'm more concern of the SPH painting a nice picture to everyone who is willing to believe it that our Covid response had no fallacies. You know there are misleading articles insinuating it's the fault of the locals when the mutated strains are imported in by our policies, which is too late to respond as the situation blew up in India. 

To be honest I have not come across much on the news media of the countries you mentioned. But for Taiwan I think their news media is crap.

Whether our own ppl has the wisdom to make their own judgement when reading the news I am also doubtful. Some ppl take it as truths as long as it is on print or agrees with what they think. 

1 hour ago, Lethalstrike said:

We're 160th now right? Just 18 more places to move downwards to the last place of 178th. 

With SPH media now fully funded by the gov, of course they will have to listen to the grand paymaster and shed all remaining ounces of credibility, especially when politics or touchy subjects of national interests (aka CECA etc., Covid oversights) are concerned. This is the inevitable. 

https://rsf.org/en/singapore
Can drop up to 20 more 😁

• Haha! 1

(edited)
3 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

With or without the change in SPH, the situation don’t change especially what’s highlighted 

That's your opinion but I am merely stating a fact (180 - 160 = 20)

Edited by ktnpl

12 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

To be honest I have not come across much on the news media of the countries you mentioned. But for Taiwan I think their news media is crap.

Whether our own ppl has the wisdom to make their own judgement when reading the news I am also doubtful. Some ppl take it as truths as long as it is on print or agrees with what they think. 

Taiwan's news are sensationalistic in nature, it's either blue or green, pretty much like the US which is either Dems or Rep. But, can't deny the stark differences between the two which already disputed the point you made earlier. Both countries had press freedom, but one is lauded for having a stellar Covid response, while the other just floundered. It's the government of the day which mattered, not actual press freedom per say. 

Why are you of the belief that your fellow Singaporeans cannot do their own judgement and aren't capable of critical thinking? If SPH can be more objective when it mattered and is less of an obvious mouthpiece, people won't be crying foul even if the law dictates that there can only be 1 newspaper in the country. 

Too much control and bias isn't good, which is what we have. It needs to be more balanced on topics of politics or sensitive national interests, which is now a TALL order. 

• Praise 5

Twincharged
39 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

this is classic 50 steps laugh at 100 steps.

you can say taiwan and singapore are just opposite ends of the same spectrum... kinda like ISIS and Taliban accusing each other.

yet... when it comes to abusing the system, the ROC model will definitely have reporters calling out any bull shit.... where as SPH system will have reporters feeding us bull shit. 

Its pretty clear which one a politician dont like.... bui bui's behavior shows the way..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3