How To Pull A Handbrake?

DOBIEMKZ

Turbocharged

For the past 15 to 18 years till date the vehicles I drove use foot pedal parking brake.

Recently when viewing some cars in showrooms that use the hand pulling parking brake, I was told that the way I operate the handbrake was improper.

I was fiddling with the features and upon reaching the handbrake lever and trying to erect it from a dormant position I just held it and jerked it up.

But I was told by the attending SE that the way I pulled handbrake was too rough and abrupt and got sound.

She advised me that I should first press and hold the button at the tip or head of the handbrake lever and then pull up the handbrake, that way is smoother and more gentle and doesn't make that ratcheting noise.

So, was I doing it wrong to just pull up the handbrake lever without pressing and holding the button at the tip or head?🙄🙄🙄

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3

Supersonic
32 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

For the past 15 to 18 years till date the vehicles I drove use foot pedal parking brake.

Recently when viewing some cars in showrooms that use the hand pulling parking brake, I was told that the way I operate the handbrake was improper.

I was fiddling with the features and upon reaching the handbrake lever and trying to erect it from a dormant position I just held it and jerked it up.

But I was told by the attending SE that the way I pulled handbrake was too rough and abrupt and got sound.

She advised me that I should first press and hold the button at the tip or head of the handbrake lever and then pull up the handbrake, that way is smoother and more gentle and doesn't make that ratcheting noise.

So, was I doing it wrong to just pull up the handbrake lever without pressing and holding the button at the tip or head?🙄🙄🙄

I have been doing the way the SE told you since day one I got a car!

• Praise 4

(edited)

No right or wrong just do whichever u prefer as long as its your own car. I always just pull the handbrake and let the tiaktiaktiak sound roar. Its part of the fun of having handbrake. It will last 10 years no issue. But i dont know about beyond 10 years. I watched an engineering explained youtube video and basically the conclusion was its ok to pull handbrakes without pushing the release button. The mechnism will last no issue. But if one is not comfortable with the noise then its another issue.

Add. I never heard of handbrake spoiling even old cars

Edited by Columbian78
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

it's yr car..how you do it...up to you! [laugh]...no right or wrong way...if wrong way, then send in for replacement earlier...[laugh]

but for discussion sake ….been driving cars from hand pull brake, foot brake and now finger pull brake...i just put to P and pull now. But they say is wrong, the right way come to complete stop, put gear to N, pull electronic brake, and then push to P...…..trying to adjust now, but have been doing the P and pull handbrake for the past 6 years...[laugh]

@DOBIEMKZ 

That is the ratchet sound holding the handbrake in place.

No different in either way, but I realised sometimes the auto tensioner will give a loud snapping sound

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Pulling it up with the ratcheting sound won't harm the mechanism significantly. The button is only necessary for disengaging it. 

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

there. correct it for you..

• Haha! 1

SE teaching wheel is round? 

Just do a hand brake turn and see whats the reaction. 

That's how the late krishnan taught me the quickest way to execute a tight U turn. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

For parking..... I just pulled it up..... 

For handbrake turn.... 

Yup.... Same as what the SE described. 

Hypersonic

I drove a manual car for many years with a handbrake. For manual cars, the correct way is to put the gear to neutral and pull handbrake whenever you come to a stop, including red lights so I have pulled it many times 🤣🤣 Let me share my experience of the correct way of pulling it.

While it is ok to press on the button at the tip, that is meant for disengaging the handbrake. If you press button and pull at the same time, there is a chance you will not fully engage the handbrake because you are disengaging  it with the button, meaning half-fark handbrake pulled. That is dangerous on a slope. Further, that so called abrupt *sound* is a confirmation that the handbrake was pulled.

So, always pull the handbrake without using the button. Only press the button to disengage.

• Praise 4

Actually the ratchet gear wont worn out so easily wan. I recall driving two different cars that has the footbrake instead of handbrake. It has no button to press when you step on it. It is also activated using the same ratchet gear mechanism. Both drive until coe almost expire also no issue with the ratchet gear.

Drivers in sgp dont really clock that many mileage. Dont have to worry too much.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
17 minutes ago, Vid said:

I drove a manual car for many years with a handbrake. For manual cars, the correct way is to put the gear to neutral and pull handbrake whenever you come to a stop, including red lights so I have pulled it many times 🤣🤣 Let me share my experience of the correct way of pulling it.

While it is ok to press on the button at the tip, that is meant for disengaging the handbrake. If you press button and pull at the same time, there is a chance you will not fully engage the handbrake because you are disengaging  it with the button, meaning half-fark handbrake pulled. That is dangerous on a slope. Further, that so called abrupt *sound* is a confirmation that the handbrake was pulled.

So, always pull the handbrake without using the button. Only press the button to disengage.

I dont know but i was a pte student. the instructor told me to press the button when pull hand brake also.

during test also do the same thing.

after pass already dont bother about this pressing button thing.. lol. but yes.. use all your strength to pull and let the ratchet do what it is supposed to do. 

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
4 minutes ago, Nolicense said:

I dont know but i was a pte student. the instructor told me to press the button when pull hand brake also.

during test also do the same thing.

after pass already dont bother about this pressing button thing.. lol. but yes.. use all your strength to pull and let the ratchet do what it is supposed to do. 

My time no such thing 😅