Workshop owner charged with performing illegal vehicle modifications

Jorje

4 hours ago, Albeniz said:

I have 1 question.

In the event if a person decides to replace the engine of his 15 year old car, what is the correct procedure?  Assume changing to the same type of engine, with no modification.

How is the paper work?

i can tell u 9/10 of the ws wont go through the correct procedure. unless your 15 year old car is a unique collector item car etc etc, and the engine that u going to replace is a brand new 1. 

if u are going to replace a brand new engine on a 15 year old b&b car, i advice u go change car instead.

so in most cases the engine that u gonna replace on your 15 year old car would be a used engine, which LTA  wont approve, to make that engine approve by LTA, u need to spend tones of money, which make no sense to replace it also.

↡ Advertisement

4 hours ago, Beregond said:

actually its wrong to fine the ws.

the fault is with the driver , not the ws that do the job.

similarly u cannot catch shop that sell pmd, its legal to sell, but the user cannot use in the wrong place.

car modification should and must be allow, even if they cannot use on public road. owner can alway bring to track or private road to drive, its should be legal.

unless of course if the ws smoke and lie to the driver that the mod is legal when in fact it illegal, which i believe is not the case

i hope LTA can be more flexible and smarter in such cases.

Shop can only sell PMD with LTA seal.

Any sales of non-approved PMD IS ILLEGAL 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Some unscrupulous workshops are like when I went there for servicing and they asked me if I want extra services.

• Haha! 1

20 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

Some unscrupulous workshops are like when I went there for servicing and they asked me if I want extra services.

That sounds like Spa le

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
22 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

Did you have happy ending?

Turbocharged
11 hours ago, Jorje said:

After so many years LTA finally decide to come down on the workshop directly.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/workshop-owner-charged-illegal-vehicle-modifications-14755628 

Yeah, sometimes I also wonder why.........................need to modify a car?

I'm happy with a stock version :grin:and pass the savings to my wife for her shopping trips.

Is custom tuning of engine illegal? The output of the engine is changed (usually increased).

I know unapproved modding of exhaust is illegal hence those workshop on fb always show the legal exhaust cases and never unapproved ones. Similarly there are many tuning workshops that post on fb how they tune cars with the dyno charts and all.

Another thing about why lta dont approve exhaust saying increase noise. Changing of air intakes usually increase noise also but these are legal.

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, inlinesix said:

That sounds like Spa le

Don't overthink bro.

Their extra service means engine flushing, decarbonisation, engine additives add-on blar blar blar....

I passed up.

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, Windwaver said:

Yeah, sometimes I also wonder why.........................need to modify a car?

I'm happy with a stock version :grin:and pass the savings to my wife for her shopping trips.

Or buy something for my honey.

Supersonic
13 hours ago, ER-3682 said:

Maybe Sabotage by Customer.?Or 1 of the Car they modified is from LTA to Spy on them.

Competitors.

41 minutes ago, Columbian78 said:

Is custom tuning of engine illegal? The output of the engine is changed (usually increased).

I know unapproved modding of exhaust is illegal hence those workshop on fb always show the legal exhaust cases and never unapproved ones. Similarly there are many tuning workshops that post on fb how they tune cars with the dyno charts and all.

Another thing about why lta dont approve exhaust saying increase noise. Changing of air intakes usually increase noise also but these are legal.

Don’t think custom tuning of engine for more horsepower is illegal. A lot of workshops openly advertise tuning for engines for both turbo and NA engines

Supercharged
10 hours ago, Beregond said:

actually its wrong to fine the ws.

the fault is with the driver , not the ws that do the job.

similarly u cannot catch shop that sell pmd, its legal to sell, but the user cannot use in the wrong place.

car modification should and must be allow, even if they cannot use on public road. owner can alway bring to track or private road to drive, its should be legal.

unless of course if the ws smoke and lie to the driver that the mod is legal when in fact it illegal, which i believe is not the case

i hope LTA can be more flexible and smarter in such cases.

Not really agree.

There were many PMD shops that knowingly and willing sell PMDs that do not meet the weight and speed limit, or even assist in the mod to convert to illegal capabilities. They do it eyes wide open and buyers also know what they asked and are getting. These are considered IMHO criminal abetment.

On an extreme scale, can sellers of heroin should not be faulted because the buyers can buy and throw into dustbin after that without consumption?

21 hours ago, Confusedboi said:

Don’t think custom tuning of engine for more horsepower is illegal. A lot of workshops openly advertise tuning for engines for both turbo and NA engines

Custom tuning and increasing of 2 horses from 129bhp to 131bhp is consider illegal. In the eyes of LTA and the government, you are cheating them the COE premiums. Lol

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Twincharged
58 minutes ago, Wormee said:

Custom tuning and increasing of 2 horses from 129bhp to 131bhp is consider illegal. In the eyes of LTA and the government, you are cheating them the COE premiums. Lol

In case of Turbocharged Cars,ECU Reflash can gain 50 Bhp & 60Nm of Torque easily.

Turbocharged
On 5/7/2021 at 11:40 AM, Stratovarius said:

Quite surprised FK was caught. all this while i thought is a grey area since they have been doing so openly.

I know some WS only do mods if they know the people very well. But then again, it's hard to control if someone wants to sabo. Last time kena caught just go back and change for inspection. Now probably they will ask the owner where they did those mods. 

I believe it's due to the BMW incident at Tanjong Pagar then the authority starts to act now. This issue was brought up in Parliament this year. 

Oral Reply by Senior Minister of State for Transport Dr Amy Khor to Parliamentary Question on Actions Taken Against Drivers and Car Workshops for the Illegal Car Modifications

https://www.mot.gov.sg/news-centre/news/Detail/oral-reply-by-senior-minister-of-state-for-transport-dr-amy-khor-to-parliamentary-question-on-actions-taken-against-drivers-and-car-workshops-for-the-illegal-car-modifications

Turbocharged
On 5/7/2021 at 7:32 AM, Ody_2004 said:

Wah Fong Kim ah.. smelly smelly they doing modification 30 years liao wor..

I still remember Ah-Oh..

Read in the news article, the owner only 39 years old 🤔

↡ Advertisement