Advice on Michelin made in Thailand vs Dunlop made in japan

12 hours ago, Naimed said:

While we write essays on why we shouldn't be using China made tyres on a small red dot...

...somewhere else in the universe https://www.tirereview.com/china-rise-tire-companies-making-waves-around-globe/ 

Fun facts

#1 Pirelli is Chinese owned

#2 Giti Tire (No. 2 by turnover in China is headquartered in Singapore under GT Asia)

#3 Qingdao Doublestar bought over Kumho (45% share + control)

#4 Total Braking distance = reaction distance + braking distance 

Out of curiosity, I have 2 burning questions:

1) If a set of Michelin PS4 is made in China and cost 40% lesser than the ones made in Thailand or Spain or Germany, would you get it?

2) If a set of Michelin XM2 is 3-4 years old and still has 60% thread left (seldom driven), would you continue using them?

1) Yes, I would try and give them a go. I will trust Michelin to have minimum standards across all of their factories. 

2) Hell no. Rubber compounds have already deteriorated even if mileage is low. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

11 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

For those who still think China is still lagging behind in quality of their products and their technology , it's time to open your eyes. 

Just take tyres - they have to cater to the world's largest auto market, with road conditions much harsher than ours - higher speed, harsh winters, hot desert in the west, lousy roads (in some places only) and demanding consumers. Their tyres can't be bad. 

Of course, if you want to pay 50 bucks for a Chinese tyre, but expect performance of a 200 dollars Jipun/Ang Moh brand tyre, then you are right to say Chinese brand no good.

i just wanna share my experience with china tyres lah, & hope i won't become public enemy or kena pofma....

I try the china tyres cause unlikely able to run fast in this year or two, price also attractive mah, using 235/40R18 for like 8 months or so, survive 2 times e-brake on wet, no complain about on dry, noise wise not too bad still can listen to laylio at volume 5 or 6. i consider my driving style as safe and sensible although my girls say sometime i drive madman, lane1 most of the time if possible...

ok, i am not using the T brand commonly seen, dun think most people interested what i using also.

btw on the tyrereview site, even this china westlake brand commonly seen on teksi also got not too bad rating leh. 🤣

• Praise 2

Supercharged
On 5/7/2021 at 9:57 PM, tantripad said:

Looks like verdict is Michelin

Workshop recommended  Michelin primacy 4 ST @ $165 

How does this compare to XM2 ? 

Wow what size is this? 17"?

9 minutes ago, Ahwhye said:

i just wanna share my experience with china tyres lah, & hope i won't become public enemy or kena pofma....

I try the china tyres cause unlikely able to run fast in this year or two, price also attractive mah, using 235/40R18 for like 8 months or so, survive 2 times e-brake on wet, no complain about on dry, noise wise not too bad still can listen to laylio at volume 5 or 6. i consider my driving style as safe and sensible although my girls say sometime i drive madman, lane1 most of the time if possible...

ok, i am not using the T brand commonly seen, dun think most people interested what i using also.

btw on the tyrereview site, even this china westlake brand commonly seen on teksi also got not too bad rating leh. 🤣

used alot of china tyre on commercial vehicle.

the conclusion is value for money

its the reason why despite usa high taxes on them, its still in very high demand there.

5 hours ago, inlinesix said:

I am biased.

For me, I only uses Michelin tyres especially made in Europe.

European made Michelin has softer sidewall except PSS.

My life is more important than the saving.

I drove Mitsubishi Triton equipped with 16” Michelin tyre up CH.

It gives so much confidence to push. 

I dun always uses Michelin, in the past I used conti CSC6 and Bridgestone before too.  In short I will always trusts and use established brand. I think Dunlop is ok, but TS is asking between Dunlop and Michelin then I will choose Michelin! 

Thus I mention earlier my new ride default tyre is Dunlop sport maxx 50+, I swap out to PS4 the very day I collected my ride.

• Praise 2

6 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

Can infer so much from a blurry video. 

1st the road is dry,.

2nd the car in front and camera car behind have been "maintaining" speed and control  throughout the video and the car in front doesnt look nervous compare to the Swift following behind.

3rd the crash site bend errr...... seem comfortable for front and camera car

Lastly! the FWD swift look like a little "fish tale" before crash! what can cause FWD to look like "fish tale"? Either using lousy tyre or a good tyre but balding!!!

Twincharged
4 hours ago, D3badge said:

1st the road is dry,.

2nd the car in front and camera car behind have been "maintaining" speed and control  throughout the video and the car in front doesnt look nervous compare to the Swift following behind.

3rd the crash site bend errr...... seem comfortable for front and camera car

Lastly! the FWD swift look like a little "fish tale" before crash! what can cause FWD to look like "fish tale"? Either using lousy tyre or a good tyre but balding!!!

A balding tire on a dry surface has actually more mechanical grip. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Twincharged
2 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Agreed,that is why F-1 Cars used Treadless Tyres.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

theory and real life vast different ! dun use F1 theory to apply on normal road condition why? because before every F1 race organiser will clean the track nicely to almost perfect, LTA level the road too! normal road got leaves, sands, oil spill , uneven road etc! 

I every skid on a 3.2 v6 AWD car because then the Conti CSC6 was balding in dry weather! lucky car is AWD so just skid right left right and manage to correct the car back

add on the height level and mechanics of F1 car compare to normal car OMG

Edited by D3badge

Twincharged
14 minutes ago, D3badge said:

theory and real life vast different ! dun use F1 theory to apply on normal road condition why? because before every F1 race organiser will clean the track nicely to almost perfect, LTA level the road too! normal road got leaves, sands, oil spill , uneven road etc! 

I every skid on a 3.2 v6 AWD car because then the Conti CSC6 was balding in dry weather! lucky car is AWD so just skid right left right and manage to correct the car back

add on the height level and mechanics of F1 car compare to normal car OMG

Food for thought. 
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a18743693/the-lost-art-of-tire-shaving/

Turbocharged
27 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Pertaining to your quoted article, my thoughts are:

Firstly, even if smooth or slick tyres provide enhanced grip on dry roads, what about wet roads? How are they going to channel away water if there are no groves?

Secondly, will LTA approve of such?

(edited)
43 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

I think you lost your focus in the Suzuki Swift crash, but if you wanna argue for the sake of argument? ok you win :D

Suzuki Swift is a very small short wheel base FWD car like a mini copper. for a car like this to "wriggle" fish tail left" (remember Swift HP not high too) before turning right into a crash while the "bigger car" in front clear the bend calmly likely is tyre issue. thus either a lousy sets of rubber or if the driver does spend on rubber than like is a good set but balding or worn set. when a tyre bald or worn, they dun bald equally like a threadless tyre manufacturer for F1 car.

some Food for thought too :D

Edited by D3badge

Twincharged
21 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

Pertaining to your quoted article, my thoughts are:

Firstly, even if smooth or slick tyres provide enhanced grip on dry roads, what about wet roads? How are they going to channel away water if there are no groves?

Secondly, will LTA approve of such?

I think the article addresses wet roads. 

Twincharged
16 minutes ago, D3badge said:

I think you lost your focus in the Suzuki Swift crash, but if you wanna argue for the sake of argument? ok you win :D

Suzuki Swift is a very small short wheel base FWD car like a mini copper. for a car like this to "wriggle" fish tail left" (remember Swift HP not high too) before turning right into a crash while the "bigger car" in front clear the bend calmly likely is tyre issue. thus either a lousy sets of rubber or if the driver does spend on rubber than like is a good set but balding or worn set. when a tyre bald or worn, they dun bald equally like a threadless tyre manufacturer for F1 car.

some Food for thought too :D

All I’m trying to say is not to assume that the crash is due to your theory that it has to be lousy or bald tires.
It can be a myriad of reasons like too stiff a suspension, too fast a speed. to just use tires as a cause with such a low quality video is stretching things. 
just keep an open mind. 

• Praise 2

(edited)
13 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

All I’m trying to say is not to assume that the crash is due to your theory that it has to be lousy or bald tires.
It can be a myriad of reasons like too stiff a suspension, too fast a speed. to just use tires as a cause with such a low quality video is stretching things. 
just keep an open mind. 

have you driven a car like swift to feel their handling? I have tried mini copper. these small car are very easy to manoeuvre bend thus always got this reputation for mini Go-Kart like! too fast? the front car and camera car seem to be driving without intense pressure. for a small car with good handling but without high HP to wriggle left before crashing right at a wide right bend?!?!? the way the car slide (at wriggle)nyou can see losing traction/grip from tyre build up to crash.  Then another possibility is the driver sucks big time :D

Edited by D3badge

Turbocharged
14 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

just keep an open mind. 

Yes, we should have an open mind about that accident.

There could be several factors at play.

Might be that the car so unfortunately ran over a banana skin.

Might also be that the driver got jumpy over a cockroach inside the car.

Might be also the driver pulled handbrake at the wrong time.

And might be the steering wheel came loose.

And many unknown other factors.

• Haha! 3

On 5/8/2021 at 1:56 AM, Volvobrick said:

165 so ex. Check out GY Efficient Grip Performance 2. I paid much less for R17 225. It's good in the wet, very quiet and comfy, low rolling resistance and enough dry grip even for my driving (probably a lot more "sporty" then how you claim you drive.). 

Here's a good site to compare the various options. 

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2020-Tyre-Reviews-Ultimate-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

Top is Continental Premium Contact 6 but it has very bad wet handling. Second place is GY EG Perf2. Premacy 4 is a distant 7.

@DOBIEMKZ

Falken ZIEX ZE310 is highly recommended here, any brothers got experience with this?

Twincharged
1 hour ago, Craz said:

@DOBIEMKZ

Falken ZIEX ZE310 is highly recommended here, any brothers got experience with this?

After buying this Tyre,you may need a pair of Ear Plugs,Falkens always very noisy.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3