Advice on Michelin made in Thailand vs Dunlop made in japan

Turbocharged
2 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Then must pull out the sticker nicely.

In case punctured all the time

must stick it back to get the free patching.

:D

that's why  i dunno people said car in Singapore SO EXPENSIVE can afford to buy then look for $10 discount... I really don't understand their mindset..

Saving is good lah but the proportion must be right loh.. when I buy bicycle the seller ask for $1000.. then offer me $10 discount.. $990.. KNN I delete and block him..

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 5

Hypersonic
11 minutes ago, Beregond said:

lmao.

if any driver this kiam siat. i dun know what to say😆

Hahaha can save $40 you know.

$12.30 also die die must save.

$40 is more than 3 times $12.30.

:D

• Haha! 1

On 5/8/2021 at 4:19 PM, D3badge said:

I never used this brand before, just never trust  chinese product using european name as marketing. to each of his own, I would not bother saving 100, 200, 300 to trust the chinese brand and risk crashing my life and car! 

I think it is unfair for the brand and the readers here for you to discourage others from using a tyre brand that you have not personally tried.

The thinking that China produces inferior quality products is very "90s". The PC, laptop or phone that you are using now, mostly have components made in China, especially the battery - you are not afraid it will explode?

China now have stable high speed rail (>350km/h) that can rival the Japanese. They produce rubik's cubes that the world's top players are using to break records. They can send rockets into space (although cannot control the drop area/zone). I am sure they can make proper tyres.

We have more vehicle skidding or losing control on the roads due to bald or harden tyres than MIC tyres. Drivers using their "expensive" tyres till they look like slicks, in order to maximise cost returns. I wonder what tyres the McLaren was using when he skidded in the carpark...

• Haha! 3

18 minutes ago, Naimed said:

I wonder what tyres the McLaren was using when he skidded in the carpark...

lmao. so u saw that video.

the quality is bad so  i didnt post🤣

32 minutes ago, Beregond said:

lmao. so u saw that video.

the quality is bad so  i didnt post🤣

Usually for MSCP with lower budget, they dont use anti-skid to coat over the cement screed. Water + powerful rwd is a bad combination there. 

• Praise 1

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Naimed said:

Usually for MSCP with lower budget, they dont use anti-skid to coat over the cement screed. Water + powerful rwd is a bad combination there. 

ya. my building there also kenna a few case, but from those small lorry.

smooth cement surface, and wet  high power light rwd vehicle, perfect condition for accident. dun really matter how new your tyres is, the driver cock and accelerate or turn too fast . thats it

Edited by Beregond

1 hour ago, Naimed said:

I think it is unfair for the brand and the readers here for you to discourage others from using a tyre brand that you have not personally tried.

The thinking that China produces inferior quality products is very "90s". The PC, laptop or phone that you are using now, mostly have components made in China, especially the battery - you are not afraid it will explode?

China now have stable high speed rail (>350km/h) that can rival the Japanese. They produce rubik's cubes that the world's top players are using to break records. They can send rockets into space (although cannot control the drop area/zone). I am sure they can make proper tyres.

We have more vehicle skidding or losing control on the roads due to bald or harden tyres than MIC tyres. Drivers using their "expensive" tyres till they look like slicks, in order to maximise cost returns. I wonder what tyres the McLaren was using when he skidded in the carpark...

Dude I already said to each of his own. He ask for opinion I give mine but didn’t forced my opinion on anyone. 

like I will only take pizfer vaccine and never sinovac but some people will just do the opposite. No right or wrong just your decision you make for your life to be more dependable on.

for tyre the only contact with the road I prefer establish Brand’s until others Brand’s proven. The way the T brand markets by the distributors staffs as comparable or better than Michelin I have my reservation but nobody is stopping anyone to believe their marketing speech. 

of course not all Chinese products are bad some can be good , but a general rules of thumb to me is if the Chinese elite ( they have money they can make a choice ) choose  foreign Brand’s then their home grown then It say something too no brainer! The Chinese elite do choose their home grown for some products with are good at time like DJI or some Huawei phone etc 

i am sure most forumers here are educated and have their own intellectual to do own research before buying anything then listen to one forumer opinion and make their decision right? 

this is Internet forum we should be able to voice our opinion more 🤣🤣🤣

• Praise 4

Turbocharged
8 hours ago, Naimed said:

We have more vhicle skidding or losing control on the roads due to bald or harden tyres than MIC tyres. Drivers using their "expensive" tyres till they look like slicks, in order to maximise cost returns. I wonder what tyres the McLaren was using when he skidded in the carpark...

My personal opinion is that China definitely can and does make very good quality, robust and highly advanced good and items.

But the caveat is that, either these are items of strategic importance or of national prestige which are made by mostly state-control organisations under very stringent supervision and checks (examples like military products, space products, national transportation system and items etc), or consumer goods made by big companies which want to have a global standing and a more upmarket recognition (examples like high-end handphones with high-tech fast-charging, and some of their more upmarket clothing brands).

But many products, goods and items manufactured by their home-grown companies started out by either copying or reverse-engineering those of more established international brands.

And among consumer products, there are definitely low-end items and low price-point goods that are not well-made and lower in standard so as to entice consumers who are very price-sensitive or those who no care-less, or those who prefer to but cheap because they rather have more frequent replacement cycle.

Now, pertaining to vehicle tyres, i think many of them are reverse-engineered products of past products of established brands, or just lowly-designed ones without much R&D input. I don't know of any international car brand that uses China-brand tyres as their default tyres. Inside China, international car brands may use China-brand tyres because theyt are forced to set joint-venture with local companies for car manufacturing there ijn the first place and can be pressured into use local brands components. But outside of China, they would of course choose to use tyres that can at least meet their set of safety and performance criterion.

Until China-brand tyres catch up with established international brands, I will not use them in my car, because it is NOT worth it to save a hundred dollars in tyres cost and risk damages of a few thousand dollars or much more when the tyres fail performance in that one critical moment.

• Praise 4

2 hours ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

My personal opinion is that China definitely can and does make very good quality, robust and highly advanced good and items.

But the caveat is that, either these are items of strategic importance or of national prestige which are made by mostly state-control organisations under very stringent supervision and checks (examples like military products, space products, national transportation system and items etc), or consumer goods made by big companies which want to have a global standing and a more upmarket recognition (examples like high-end handphones with high-tech fast-charging, and some of their more upmarket clothing brands).

But many products, goods and items manufactured by their home-grown companies started out by either copying or reverse-engineering those of more established international brands.

And among consumer products, there are definitely low-end items and low price-point goods that are not well-made and lower in standard so as to entice consumers who are very price-sensitive or those who no care-less, or those who prefer to but cheap because they rather have more frequent replacement cycle.

Now, pertaining to vehicle tyres, i think many of them are reverse-engineered products of past products of established brands, or just lowly-designed ones without much R&D input. I don't know of any international car brand that uses China-brand tyres as their default tyres. Inside China, international car brands may use China-brand tyres because theyt are forced to set joint-venture with local companies for car manufacturing there ijn the first place and can be pressured into use local brands components. But outside of China, they would of course choose to use tyres that can at least meet their set of safety and performance criterion.

Until China-brand tyres catch up with established international brands, I will not use them in my car, because it is NOT worth it to save a hundred dollars in tyres cost and risk damages of a few thousand dollars or much more when the tyres fail performance in that one critical moment.

While we write essays on why we shouldn't be using China made tyres on a small red dot...

...somewhere else in the universe https://www.tirereview.com/china-rise-tire-companies-making-waves-around-globe/ 

Several top global brands such as Michelin (two production plants), Bridgestone (six plants), Goodyear (two plants), Continental (two plants), Pirelli (two plants), Yokohama (three plants), Hankook (four plants), and Kumho (three plants) are present in China through their manufacturing units.

In 2016, China exported tires worth $12.89 billion (down 6.9% on year-over-year basis) to more than 200 countries. The U.S. remained the largest export market. The value of tires exported from China to the U.S. was $2.1 billion, accounting for 16.3% of China’s total export value of tires. Due to anti-dumping and countervailing duties imposed by the U.S., Chinese imports in truck and bus categories suffered a setback and fell below $1 billion in the first 11 months of 2016.

With an export worth $541 million, the U.K. was the second largest market, accounting for 4.2% of China’s total export value of tires. Brazil, India, Mexico, Australia, Iran, the United Arab Emirates and Germany were also important export destinations for tires from China.

Fun facts

#1 Pirelli is Chinese owned

#2 Giti Tire (No. 2 by turnover in China is headquartered in Singapore under GT Asia)

#3 Qingdao Doublestar bought over Kumho (45% share + control)

#4 Total Braking distance = reaction distance + braking distance 

Out of curiosity, I have 2 burning questions:

1) If a set of Michelin PS4 is made in China and cost 40% lesser than the ones made in Thailand or Spain or Germany, would you get it?

2) If a set of Michelin XM2 is 3-4 years old and still has 60% thread left (seldom driven), would you continue using them?

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

For those who still think China is still lagging behind in quality of their products and their technology , it's time to open your eyes. 

Just take tyres - they have to cater to the world's largest auto market, with road conditions much harsher than ours - higher speed, harsh winters, hot desert in the west, lousy roads (in some places only) and demanding consumers. Their tyres can't be bad. 

Of course, if you want to pay 50 bucks for a Chinese tyre, but expect performance of a 200 dollars Jipun/Ang Moh brand tyre, then you are right to say Chinese brand no good.

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 2

Just now, D3badge said:

a nimble Suzuki Swift to crash in a dry road when the car in front and behind can handle normally, likely Swift is using an inferior Tyre!! Rubber does make a difference 

I am biased.

For me, I only uses Michelin tyres especially made in Europe.

European made Michelin has softer sidewall except PSS.

My life is more important than the saving.

I drove Mitsubishi Triton equipped with 16” Michelin tyre up CH.

It gives so much confidence to push. 

used Michelin pilot sport 4 on my previous car which was now scrapped Ford Focus which had barely 99bhp, loved the grip offered by the tyre both in the dry and wet. Not that I had to worry about losing traction though lol since car lacked power