Hand Brake vs Foot Brake vs Flap Brake (aka EPB aka Electronic Parking Brake)

DOBIEMKZ

Turbocharged

Having fiddle and fondle with a few models (car models, that is) over the past few days, I learnt that hand-pulling brake is still in use in some cars, foot-stepping brake hardly around anymore, and the new trend ... EPB, electronic parking brake, aka flap brake.

Really love those hand-pulling brakes! The satisfaction that you get when you hold the stick and pull it up is so immense. You can feel the direct relationship between how high you pull the stick and how tight the brakes are. And you can do it swiftly, loudly, gently or quietly, depending on your mood or road circumstances. And you can also fiddle with the button at the tip or head of the stick just for fun.

I using foot-operated parking brake currently and although you can step gently or stomp heavily on the pedal depending on how tight you want, the feel is not quite right because the shoe or footwear numb the feel.

Now as for the electronic parking brake, there is totally no feel at all. You pull up a tiny flap to engage the brake and push down that flap to disengage it, no sound, no sensation. You only see a notification light in the instrument cluster display whether it is on or off. And most times you will not even know where that little flap is and have to look to find it.  With a handbrake stick it is so easy to find and grab it.

But the merits are that electronic parking brake can free up some space in the centre console, and also such system comes with brake-hold or auto-hold function when car is stationery in Drive mode.

Seems that the hand-brake stick is still quite a gold standard, although EPB will be the dominant trend.

It's pitiful that sometimes technology takes away our enjoyment.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

Twincharged
(edited)

Many People when shopping for new Cars today,see Handbrake,the 1st Word will be ''Wow so old fashion''.For me,most important it don't give problem..i heard those Electronic Parking Brake will have problem after a few Years,like jammed Servo.

Edited by ER-3682
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Internal Moderator

Each have its own merits.

Handbrake - Is the safest and also most easy to use.

Footbrake - Save space and help you create more armrest space

EPB - for the laziest person who cannot even step on the footbrake. 😂

• Haha! 2

I only hate foot brake (like in older Merc). Got to lift the left leg so high to use it. I have never owned a car with one. 

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

Having fiddle and fondle with a few models (car models, that is) over the past few days, I learnt that hand-pulling brake is still in use in some cars, foot-stepping brake hardly around anymore, and the new trend ... EPB, electronic parking brake, aka flap brake.

Really love those hand-pulling brakes! The satisfaction that you get when you hold the stick and pull it up is so immense. You can feel the direct relationship between how high you pull the stick and how tight the brakes are. And you can do it swiftly, loudly, gently or quietly, depending on your mood or road circumstances. And you can also fiddle with the button at the tip or head of the stick just for fun.

I using foot-operated parking brake currently and although you can step gently or stomp heavily on the pedal depending on how tight you want, the feel is not quite right because the shoe or footwear numb the feel.

Now as for the electronic parking brake, there is totally no feel at all. You pull up a tiny flap to engage the brake and push down that flap to disengage it, no sound, no sensation. You only see a notification light in the instrument cluster display whether it is on or off. And most times you will not even know where that little flap is and have to look to find it.  With a handbrake stick it is so easy to find and grab it.

But the merits are that electronic parking brake can free up some space in the centre console, and also such system comes with brake-hold or auto-hold function when car is stationery in Drive mode.

Seems that the hand-brake stick is still quite a gold standard, although EPB will be the dominant trend.

It's pitiful that sometimes technology takes away our enjoyment.

Correction.

Electronic brake do give out a very soft click sound.

If engage the EPB at neutral gear it will give a sunken (depress) feel on the break pedal. Presume your foot are still on the break pedal. 

At least for my ride it work this way.

• Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

I only hate foot brake (like in older Merc). Got to lift the left leg so high to use it. I have never owned a car with one. 

Over the last 20 +years, i have driven 2  Odyssey  , 3 merc, all foot brakes , no issue. Now am still driving  old coe merc with foot brake. 😀😀..I have no money to buy new car that  will come with  Expensive Parking Brake 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Haha! 2

Twincharged

tbh i do not know where the electronic parking brake of my new family car is located.

the [P] notification light comes on when i park , goes off when i drive.

everything is so high tech, diametrically opposed to another car i drive, no power steering even!

i enjoy the new car when i feel lazy and want a nice comfortable ride, the oldie when i want to have some fun and burn some calories.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
54 minutes ago, Kopites said:

Correction.

Electronic brake do give out a very soft click sound.

If engage the EPB at neutral gear it will give a sunken (depress) feel on the break pedal. Presume your foot are still on the break pedal

At least for my ride it work this way.

I suppose it's kind of virtual sound, electronically generated.

Not those raw sounds when there is part-to-part contact.

(edited)
1 hour ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

I suppose it's kind of virtual sound, electronically generated.

Not those raw sounds when there is part-to-part contact.

It sounded like what you described the latter. Only can be heard in the driver seat though.

My is a vezel probably conti won't has such sound.

Edited by Kopites

25 minutes ago, Kopites said:

It sounded like what you described the latter. Only can be heard in the driver seat though.

My is a vezel probably conti won't has such sound.

My conti have, quite loud, if door open can hear, maybe is fake conti HAHAHAHAHAHA

• Haha! 2

(edited)
5 hours ago, SiLangKia said:

My conti have, quite loud, if door open can hear, maybe is fake conti HAHAHAHAHAHA

Hahaha so epb don't "discriminate" against conti, jap or kor.

Edited by Kopites
  • Haha! 1

(edited)
8 hours ago, sake said:

tbh i do not know where the electronic parking brake of my new family car is located.

the [P] notification light comes on when i park , goes off when i drive.

everything is so high tech, diametrically opposed to another car i drive, no power steering even!

i enjoy the new car when i feel lazy and want a nice comfortable ride, the oldie when i want to have some fun and burn some calories.

Maybe your epb got sensor to detest your butt weight! 

Hahaha 

Certain newest make don't come with epb.

Edited by Kopites
  • Haha! 1

12 hours ago, ER-3682 said:

Many People when shopping for new Cars today,see Handbrake,the 1st Word will be ''Wow so old fashion''.For me,most important it don't give problem..i heard those Electronic Parking Brake will have problem after a few Years,like jammed Servo.

Same for dashboard and radio/satnav. Good luck few years down the road when the circuit boards crack/screen warp..... there is even a "war"on the tablet size mounted on the dashboard. LOL

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
12 minutes ago, Kangadrool said:

Same for dashboard and radio/satnav. Good luck few years down the road when the circuit boards crack/screen warp..... there is even a "war"on the tablet size mounted on the dashboard. LOL

The bigger the size, the more expensive it is to get replaced.

🤗

18 minutes ago, Kangadrool said:

4 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

🤗

If worry about all this, we will always pay overprice low spec car

• Haha! 2

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

🤗

So the bigger, longer and/or thicker the handbrake stick, the more expensive it will cost to replace?

• Haha! 1

Heng manual cars are handbrake, or is it? I cannot imagine foot rest, foot brake, clutch, brake and gas. 

↡ Advertisement