COVID-19: Phase 2 Heightened Alert 16 May to 13 June

Blueray

Message added by BabyBlade

One step forward two steps back (the sweeter Phase 3 ☹️😞)

1 minute ago, Shibadog said:

govt is more than willing to step on locals but not when it comes to foreigners?

refer to the recent pofma case against local media on foreign news source.

The biggest irony of all times, this POFMA case. 

And the local media (mainly online forum) is just regurgitating what the India minister / media said or reported. In no way they created this fake news out of thin air. If the fault is on them spreading this information, then is PAP directly saying what India is claiming as fake news? If so, should follow through and sue India's media and minister. 

LKY sued foreign media before, LHL should take the fight to Hindustan Times. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

Turbocharged
1 minute ago, Fcw75 said:

Because they want to open up open up economy economy. The rest doesn’t matter. Want to show that Singapore can do it, at the risk of citizen health.

People see Singapore like this now also think...

B05B75CA-8FAB-4067-A47B-7BC1C7FBD4C7.gif

worldwide people already say nobody is safe until everyone is safe. knn what makes sg so special? just becos we have the worlds highest paid politicians?

• Praise 1

Supersonic
9 minutes ago, 13177 said:

How come gahment no take the lead to cancel the event? And always wait for others to take action first?

Maybe if we cancel must pay damages but if they cancel no need?  

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

Turbocharged
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

And the local media (mainly online forum) is just regurgitating what the India minister / media said or reported. In no way they created this fake news out of thin air. If the fault is on them spreading this information, then is PAP directly saying what India is claiming as fake news? If so, should follow through and sue India's media and minister. 

this same case as the leong sze hian case right? knn are they going to pofma sue 1 bugger like kill chicken scare monkey?

fine already some more so fast raise money to pay the fine. shows many people are pissed.

Edited by Nolicense
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Loki said:

maybe we charge deposit.. dun come i eat your deposit. lol

just like you pay to go in geylang. times up you dun finish also must leave.. lol

Edited by Nolicense

1 hour ago, Heartlander said:

Now I wonder how many here are experts on road works or those manual works, that you knows the details of such works.

These projects are awarded by the relevant authority, and awarded based on merits such as cost competitiveness, track records blah blah blah. If the successful contractor want to put 20 men eventually to do a 2 men job, do you think who should step in to say no? And perhaps the contractor has multiple projects to rush so he deploy the same team of workers to multiple sites to do the work, who is there to complain when he can deploy enough people when needed and still earn reasonable profit.

Please do not blame the authority on such situation as once awarded, the authority only want the expected outcome. If the contractor want to put 20men looking at a person working when he can afford to do it, that is also none of its problem. And certainly none of your problem, to put it bluntly. You can kindly walk over to ask to their supervisor and complain why they put so many people there to do such seemingly simply jobs, please try to be more efficient. Maybe they will invite you into the hole to talk nicely to you too.

I encounter regularly what you have mentioned. It is true if the contract amount awarded is project basis. i dont care how many workers the contractor put for a lump sum project, the more, the merrier for me. I can arrange the idle resources to do other things. The opposite is also true if insufficient workers are allocated. I will kbkp to their managers and make sure that they put in more workers and hours to get the job done.

For contracts on labour supply, i usually will monitor their works daily. i will request to reduce the workers if i observed that there are too many idle resources. But these are very specialized jobs and the one in charge must know the job scope very well to make this decision. 

You are right on focusing on outcome as the client has little to no right to challenge the resources allocated as actual works are too dynamic to put a number to it. Sure, it is easy to say you need 2 workers to change a lightbulb but things are not as clear once the jobs get more complicated. i have a contractor who always put just enough workers for my jobs. Once things changes on site, the workers on site will have difficulty to adapt to and i will developed a headache. So, if i were a contractor, i would rather put in more resources than insufficient resources than needed. As a LD penalty is usually more costly than putting more people on the job. 

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
4 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

this is not the thread for it, but I am reminded of the case vs a certain LSH for reposting a foreign news article (which turned out to be false)

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
6 minutes ago, Loki said:

certainly true for most contracts but in this particular case, I don't think the cancellation charges were the key consideration.

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Nolicense said:

this same case as the leong sze hian case right? knn are they going to porma sue 1 bugger like kill chicken scare monkey?

fine already some more so fast raise money to pay the fine. shows many people are pissed.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/on-kejriwal-s-covid-strain-comment-singapore-says-reserve-right-to-invoke-fake-news-law-101621439786020.html

Singapore’s high commissioner Simon Wong told a virtual news conference that his country was satisfied with the Indian government's clarification on Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal’s remarks about a new Covid-19 strain allegedly being detected in Singapore. Wong said the country reserves the right to invoke a domestic fake news law to prevent the spreading of misinformation.

High commissioner Wong said Singapore wants to put aside the “unfortunate chapter” caused by Kejriwal’s remarks and focus on the shared fight against the pandemic. Referring to the law called Protection from Online Falsehoods and Manipulation Act (POFMA), he added, “So, we reserve the right to invoke POFMA on some of the comments and assertions made by the honourable chief minister on this topic.”

Kejriwal’s remarks triggered a diplomatic spat on Wednesday, with the Southeast Asian country calling in the Indian envoy to lodge an objection.

ndian high commissioner P Kumaran clarified Kejriwal had “no competence” to comment on Covid-19 variants, external affairs ministry spokesperson Arindam Bagchi said in a tweet. External affairs minister S Jaishankar described Kejriwal’s remarks as “irresponsible” and said the chief minister didn’t speak for India.

Reserved the right to POFMA. But actually, will just tell India it's okay lah, we will let it slide. 

Going OT liao, last post about this incident here in this thread 😅

Edited by Lethalstrike

30 minutes ago, Strat said:

kar cheng said WEF was cancelled not due to "scare" but travel restriction and SHN and bla bla bla 

then why Shangee-da-log cancel leh? [confused] 

obviously people are scare leh ... 

Turbocharged
4 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/on-kejriwal-s-covid-strain-comment-singapore-says-reserve-right-to-invoke-fake-news-law-101621439786020.html

Reserved the right to POFMA. But actually, will just tell India it's okay lah, we will let it slide. 

Going OT liao, last post about this incident here in this thread 😅

yes pls continue here

• Praise 2

Supersonic

Covid-19: What went wrong in Singapore and Taiwan?

They've been hailed as virus success stories - places that have seen virtually zero or single-digit Covid cases since the start of the year.

But this month, Singapore and Taiwan have both seen a sudden and aggressive rise in cases - with Singapore logging 248 new cases just last week, and Taiwan 1,200 local infections.

Both places have gone into a heightened state of restrictions, limiting the size of social gatherings and closing schools.

By global standards, these numbers may seem small - but for these places, these figures would have been unthinkable just months ago. So what exactly went wrong?

1. A tale of complacency: Taiwan

2. Cracks in the wall: Singapore

3. A slow vaccination drive

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-57153195

• Praise 5

2 hours ago, Lethalstrike said:

Well, you identified the very problem and hit the nail on the head, but you see it as a non-issue. 

If a business is able to employ 20 pax to do a 1 pax job and YET be profitable, something is already wrong.

It's either manpower is dirt cheap, work process isn't efficient, the lack of regulations to ensure a proper spread of human resources or the combination of all 3. Contrary to common thinking, a foreign worker isn't exactly cheap. His real cost to his employer is his basic salary, plus levy and other accommodation and health care costs. If the real cost isn't dirt cheap, why are companies still willing to get 20 pax to a 1 pax job, somewhere is wrong and the gov's hands are tied to say NO to their requests. For these companies, it's either they don't realize the real problem or they choose to stick to the old ways of getting the same job done. Or even worse, the gov is condoning such actions because of a very real kickback they are getting, its the levies and fees per head which goes to the G and the sourcing agents. 

You are very good in twisting words, very obvious.

Have you taken part in any road works tender or an insider with some functioning knowledge on the topic? You think the contract terms will put down how many workers required to do the tasks? How do you know the companies have not been tightening their processes over the years in order to maximise profit? Do you think such companies can survive in this time and age? You are just opportunistic when read that people posted got 5 workers eye power 1 worker do the job so it must be wrong. Maybe that part of job need only 1 person do while the rest are simply waiting for him to finish so that they can get on with other works? Did you stay through to see what have been done by the workers and knowledgeable enough to give useful comments? This is like the story of young kids with old folks taking a donkey to market to sell, with passersby giving funny comments.

You think the road work contractors so profitable when bidding for public works? My analogy is simply that the boss can put as many people as he like, that does not imply that the authority is lapse in awarding tenders and paying higher than necessary. It is only an analogy to illustrate a point, could be 100 people also. If it is so profitable, why not you and your gang set up a company and earn big big so that you can own a GCB and drive a Lamborghini?

And you r last sentence is really deserving of a POFMA in my non-expert opinion. Please be careful with what you put down in public forum like this that is owned by who you know.

Supercharged
5 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

Covid-19: What went wrong in Singapore and Taiwan?

They've been hailed as virus success stories - places that have seen virtually zero or single-digit Covid cases since the start of the year.

But this month, Singapore and Taiwan have both seen a sudden and aggressive rise in cases - with Singapore logging 248 new cases just last week, and Taiwan 1,200 local infections.

Both places have gone into a heightened state of restrictions, limiting the size of social gatherings and closing schools.

By global standards, these numbers may seem small - but for these places, these figures would have been unthinkable just months ago. So what exactly went wrong?

1. A tale of complacency: Taiwan

2. Cracks in the wall: Singapore

3. A slow vaccination drive

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-57153195

Decent article... from grand old dame BBC that has really mostly lost a lot of trust worldwide.

Anyway I think it is not so difficult to do post-mortems analysis.... more difficult is to constructive criticize and provide suggestions objectively

Most difficult is to not fall into trap of patting own back for job well done (previously)  

• Praise 1

(edited)
47 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

You are very good in twisting words, very obvious.

Have you taken part in any road works tender or an insider with some functioning knowledge on the topic? You think the contract terms will put down how many workers required to do the tasks? How do you know the companies have not been tightening their processes over the years in order to maximise profit? Do you think such companies can survive in this time and age? You are just opportunistic when read that people posted got 5 workers eye power 1 worker do the job so it must be wrong. Maybe that part of job need only 1 person do while the rest are simply waiting for him to finish so that they can get on with other works? Did you stay through to see what have been done by the workers and knowledgeable enough to give useful comments? This is like the story of young kids with old folks taking a donkey to market to sell, with passersby giving funny comments.

You think the road work contractors so profitable when bidding for public works? My analogy is simply that the boss can put as many people as he like, that does not imply that the authority is lapse in awarding tenders and paying higher than necessary. It is only an analogy to illustrate a point, could be 100 people also. If it is so profitable, why not you and your gang set up a company and earn big big so that you can own a GCB and drive a Lamborghini?

And you r last sentence is really deserving of a POFMA in my non-expert opinion. Please be careful with what you put down in public forum like this that is owned by who you know.

Ah, I see. Finally, I touched a nerve. I thank you for your compliments, I'm certainly not as good as you're in twisting words, I'm still an amateur compared to you. 

I will say on the record that I had not taken part in road works tender or neither I am some insider with functioning knowledge on the topic. But, there is no need to question me the technicalities or the details when you don't even know it yourself. Like you did earlier, I am also using an analogy to illustrate my point, which WAS raised by you right from the start.

Since both us aren't experts or have personal experience in any road works tenders, we're all debating based on analogies, isn't it? Don't backtrack now and come back to tell me you're just raising an analogy, to hell with that. What's with the resort to a personal challenge such as me starting up a company and earn big so I can stay GCB and drive Lambo, this is a new low. I'm sure you can do better than this if you want to win an argument with facts and logic. 

And your point about me thinking that road work contractors being so profitable when bidding for public works? Don't put your writings in my mouth. In my post earlier, I've written clearly that the real cost of the foreign worker is not as low as $800-900 per mth, so I understand there will be costs pressures. Not rocket science here, don't need to be insider or road works tenderer to understand this. My question to you is, has human resources been properly optimised to handle the works tendered? Is it time to relook into how companies can do better? 

Whether I deserve a POFMA or not, its depending on what I've written is a fact or a myth. It is a FACT, that the gov are collecting levies for every foreign worker, per head. 

And, I have the other related question for you in my previous post which you didn't answer. 320k foreign workers here, has MOM looked into how businesses can properly balance this pool of workers? 

Edited by Lethalstrike
  • Praise 6
  • Haha! 2