‘Strong S’poreans’ Can Work As Construction Workers Instead Of Delivery Riders, Says Leong Mun Wai

kobayashiGT

Turbocharged
51 minutes ago, Ganwb79 said:

You use the right word, "exploit". So when the tit is removed, what do we have left to suckle on? 

good metaphor.. very visual.. i guess the bangla will feel his chest very sore...

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged
53 minutes ago, Ganwb79 said:

You use the right word, "exploit". So when the tit is removed, what do we have left to suckle on? 

U should have a plan b i guess. But in this world we are dependent on many countries... for many things...

even if you pay them $6k a month (higher than average gdp per capita), how many willing to work under the sun along with say 80% FW?

Hypersonic

I also pity all those young and strong CEOs, CFOs, CTOs. Some young MPs are also physically fit yet they are only sitting in air con rooms wasting their time away.

• Haha! 3

Supercharged
3 hours ago, bsswan said:

We shouldn't have a reliance on low wage workers.

As others said earlier, if an Australian or a Brit can be in construction in their country have have a reasonable standard of living, why can it not happen in Singapore or elsewhere? It is a major mindset change required, an increase in salaries and reputation of trades and a getting out of the downward quality spiral. When even mainland Chinese labourers don't want to come because salaries are too low, you know there is a problem.

It exists with the construction companies as building quality reduces but prices keep increasing. We are now paying more, for worse. Over time, stuff is supposed to get better, not worse.

Identify the problem is easy. Solving is another art.

I have said in our entire nation building dare i say 99percent of the cement. Bricks. Cables laying. Etc r layed. Pulled hands on by foreign workers.

And in last 10 20yrs. Dare i say more than 50percent of engineers r also ft.

Ita so deep rooted that it will take a revolution to change and most important the mindset to change.

Uncle leong is not wrong to suggest sinkie to work. By right if the early adoption from the 70s 80s on using local blue professions, all these kpkb wont exisit rite.

But our education system. Our mentality also passed on generations liao do not accept ourselves to work as plumbers electricians cleaners bricksmen etc. Ask yourself and myself. Do i want my kids to work as above even with a 3k monthly base pay?  My answer is no. The stigmalism is so deep ingrained.

I am not offering a solution here as i do not have. But i do know that we first need to get rid of stigmalism first

• Praise 4

Supercharged
37 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

even if you pay them $6k a month (higher than average gdp per capita), how many willing to work under the sun along with say 80% FW?

Exactly.

Anyway i hope our govt does come up with more motiviations to get locals to work

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
(edited)

remuneration must change first

mindset change will take much longer

if former don’t change, latter will never change .  keep lamenting on the current state of affairs will achieve nothing

where’s that einstein quote? ya...insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result

last time delivery jobs were also considered not attractive... why today suddenly we have 100000 people willing to work to deliver stuff?

😬

Edited by Enye
  • Praise 4

9 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

xStrong-Sporeans-Can-Work-As-Constructio

Leong Mun Wai Says It’s ‘Pitiful’ To See Strong Singaporeans Collecting Food For Delivery

Singapore continues to push for the transformation of our construction sector to become less reliant on migrant workers.

During the parliamentary debate on 11 May, Non-Constituency MP (NCMP) Leong Mun Wai said more could be done to attract locals to join the construction sector.

He seems quite abled and strong too. Maybe he should take lead? I also think it's pitiful he just stand there, talk and waste people's time when he can go on site and help building our hdb.

If common sense fails him, he should at least try to understand why sgreans are not joining construction. Work under hot sun? PPE on all the time? Working at height? Carry heavy weight? Sweat like no tomorrow? End of the month take home how much? Increase their pay to 5k can?

Luckily he's only ncmp. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

43 minutes ago, Enye said:

remuneration must change first

mindset change will take much longer

if former don’t change, latter will never change .  keep lamenting on the current state of affairs will achieve nothing

where’s that einstein quote? ya...insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result

last time delivery jobs were also considered not attractive... why today suddenly we have 100000 people willing to work to deliver stuff?

😬

unless we have 3 time or even 10 time the population, the current 'good education' system allow everyone to at least get a diploma or half the young adult got degree one way or another, the switch or convert some of them to construction worker is remotely impossible. 

Turbocharged

The root of the current fiasco is the gahmen's move to a BTO system, which exaggerates thr current housing backlog. I remember when i was in my teen years, a happily married couple can trot up a newly completed block of newly completed flats to take their pick of their matrimonial home. 

Fast fwd a few years later, some skolar remarked we are losing money with this hdb model and ventured on to this BTO model, and today, coupled with the south asian covid crisis, young couples got to wait up to 6 years for their new home. Ever wondered why still low birth rates or early divorces?

If we had in the pipeline a steady supply of homes we wouldnt be caught with our pants down having to still keep the borders open to FWs in this crisis.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Spurman said:

But our education system. Our mentality also passed on generations liao do not accept ourselves to work as plumbers electricians cleaners bricksmen etc. Ask yourself and myself. Do i want my kids to work as above even with a 3k monthly base pay?  My answer is no. The stigmalism is so deep ingrained.

3K? If course no lah. 

Would you have second thoughts if it is 200k a year? Would you be proud of them? 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Spurman said:

Identify the problem is easy. Solving is another art.

I have said in our entire nation building dare i say 99percent of the cement. Bricks. Cables laying. Etc r layed. Pulled hands on by foreign workers.

And in last 10 20yrs. Dare i say more than 50percent of engineers r also ft.

Ita so deep rooted that it will take a revolution to change and most important the mindset to change.

Uncle leong is not wrong to suggest sinkie to work. By right if the early adoption from the 70s 80s on using local blue professions, all these kpkb wont exisit rite.

I am not offering a solution here as i do not have. But i do know that we first need to get rid of stigmalism first

It's true, the mindset is deeply ingrained across a whole generation. I am not expecting our leaders to solve it within 1 term or what. But they need to acknowledge there is a systemic problem here, instead of giving the "it's like that" type of response. 

• Praise 1

Supercharged
50 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

3K? If course no lah. 

Would you have second thoughts if it is 200k a year? Would you be proud of them? 

Hee..

Thats the fair figure from a commoner like me mah. Lol. To contractors they will cry mother cry father liao to have a base pay 3k and packaged to a 5k monthly. Hee.

Hence this move will also push up all the payscale across other industries.

Or he meant above? 

But then last time..... Samsui woman were also immigrants. 

Bcos no local wanted to be in construction line. 

So this industry was shunned by locals since last century. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

Turbocharged
5 hours ago, Albeniz said:

Singaporeans only want to work as project managers.

Altho that is funny it only makes Sg sound entitled.

Actually it is that if you start from any lower there is zero career progression chance and u are forever identified as peasant. Who want to take such role then

(edited)

Interestingly, a construction worker would probably needs more skills than a delivery rider, so the latter is probably paid too much? Lol...

Edited by Voodooman
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 4

17 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Interestingly, a construction worker would probably needs more skills than a delivery rider, so the latter is probably paid too much? Lol...

The higher paid one still need to drive lorry and ferry their co-worker.... 

Work and deliver 😅

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3