‘Strong S’poreans’ Can Work As Construction Workers Instead Of Delivery Riders, Says Leong Mun Wai

kobayashiGT

4 minutes ago, MafiaGeek said:

Wonder how other first world country build houses?  Do they use so many low cost FT?  or leverage on technology advancements?

Their houses are so expensive that they can only rent. Nobody buys. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Dislike 1

Actually I did think of this  before.  We do have a pool of able bodied workers for construction. 

1)  conscientious objectors to NS.  They are healthy and fit but because of religion, they serve NS in DB.  Why not let them serve NS as construction  workers or cutting grass in HDB?

2) minor offenders in DB.  Why not let them serve in such jobs for the duration of their sentence and in return, remove the DB record from NS so that they can go to university after ORD?

3)  minor offenders in prison.  Like those who steal food or small sums of money cos they need to feed their family. They get a small wage as well and no criminal record so they can still find a job later on.

• Haha! 4

Turbocharged
43 minutes ago, Beregond said:

even if the paid of construction worker go up 100%, its only a small % of the total cost of building a flat only.

how much a bto cost depend more on the current price , area, and ultimately how much money hdb want to make.

u go count how many unit per flat. how much each flat cost. .

u go count how much does 1 FT that make our flat earn per mth. very insignificant 

tiagong during the shortage, a bangla cost around $200 or so a day. guess the bangla dont see that money

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

24 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

Actually I did think of this  before.  We do have a pool of able bodied workers for construction. 

1)  conscientious objectors to NS.  They are healthy and fit but because of religion, they serve NS in DB.  Why not let them serve NS as construction  workers or cutting grass in HDB?

2) minor offenders in DB.  Why not let them serve in such jobs for the duration of their sentence and in return, remove the DB record from NS so that they can go to university after ORD?

3)  minor offenders in prison.  Like those who steal food or small sums of money cos they need to feed their family. They get a small wage as well and no criminal record so they can still find a job later on.

you got ask if the parents got sign their boys up for construction work during NS?

as for the prisoners, later human right say singapore also have concentrated camp like Xinjiang

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 2

Typical talk cock sing song fella.. onli wans presence in parliament by taking cock. Go b a food delivery guy n construction worker for jus 1 day 1st.... den talk. 

After election... all tis tcb men/women hilang from my area. Election time.. talk so much. Puiiiiii

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Hypersonic
(edited)

actually no need to talk so much...

just adjust the remuneration of these jobs which we heavily depend on fw to slightly above what can be earned from delivery gigs then let the labour market react accordingly 

but don’t forget all these so called tech companies offering gig jobs have an unfair advantage in the sense they are burning investor cash and still not making much profit if at all.

compared to traditional companies without strong backing no profit means means close down... could be tough for these companies to compete for this labour pool

😓

Edited by Enye
  • Praise 1

Same vein, pay the $$ accorded

i say again, when I was 16, I worked as one. Earned $50 per day. Big $$ then

@Soya Lai Lai😂

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

Hypersonic

I don't really know how to reconcile these 3 facts together.

a) To make Singapore a more equitable society, where your blue collared workers can make a decent living. Cleaners/landscaping/construction/healthcare assistants/stall assistants should be able to raise a family and earn a decent wage. Not everyone can be a highly productive worker/in a "good job".
Workfare is a good scheme.

vs

b) Fact is exceedingly cheap labour is all around us. SEA/indian subcontinent. It doesn't make sense for a small nation like us not to make use of it. U can call it "exploit" or what, but the fact is that it's there. And it will be there for hundreds of years or more given the current world situation. 
Many cities are precisely built on such labour. Or if not, then allowing low skilled migrants to arrive to work in F&B or other low skilled jobs. 

vs 

c) Rising costs. Which makes the part a more difficult to achieve.

• Praise 5

22 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

you got ask if the parents got sign their boys up for construction work during NS?

as for the prisoners, later human right say singapore also have concentrated camp like Xinjiang

He is talking about all those in DB le.

What he is suggesting is that DB guys are given a chance to work in exchange for clean record.
Forced labor = All DB detainees must in construction.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
4 minutes ago, RadX said:

Same vein, pay the $$ accorded

i say again, when I was 16, I worked as one. Earned $50 per day. Big $$ then

@Soya Lai Lai😂

During the same time, I was working for SGD$3 per hour during school holidays :grin:

Big $$$

• Haha! 3

Just now, Windwaver said:

During the same time, I was working for SGD$3 per hour during school holidays :grin:

Big $$$

Boomer!!

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic
10 minutes ago, Enye said:

actually no need to talk so much...

just adjust the remuneration of these jobs which we heavily depend on fw to slightly above what can be earned from delivery gigs then let the labour market accordingly 

but don’t forget all these so called tech companies offering gig jobs have an unfair advantage in the sense they are burning investor cash and still not making much profit if at all.

compared to traditional companies without strong backing no profit means means close down... could be tough for these companies to compete for this labour pool

😓

Grab needs to narrow losses significantly in 2021.
So I won't be surprised for 2021/2022, the distortion of gig economy workers vs traditional sector salary (eg retail or goods excepting food delivery) will reduce.

(edited)
47 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

I tot parents had no say?  :D

I mean the parents or the soldiers can choose between DB or construction/cut grass/ road repairs

Edited by Philipkee

Supercharged

Coming from this related trade. Am embarassed to say.

In 70s 80s. Most general workers r malaysians.

80s 90s. The thai came. Malaysian still have but lesser.

90s. 00s. Thais out slowly. Then chinese in.

00s till now. Chinese become more expensive so indians. Banglas. Burmese in.

The construction labor cost model moving so far away from aust uk liao lar. No turning back until govt. All developers and construction firms and err other sectors as well change their attitude on foreign labor dependence lar.

Money is a thing. Mindset of singkies equally as well. How to market such jobs to them. Its like asking how hyundai how to become a mercedes one day. How toyota become a audi one day.

Anyway give a few yrs and if covid stays for next 5 yrs. Which cb. Hope dun. As tbh this will definately force 100percent change in govt labor dependence

• Praise 6

1 hour ago, BabyBlade said:

Mr Leong,

You say it best.... When you say nothing at all...... 

Wow.. sounds jin familiar.

Which version u prefer, i personally like the Alison Krauss version.