❤️Pre-CB 2.0 What Did You Makan Today?❤️

Discoburg

16 hours ago, Loki said:

My regular fishmonger always has them.  The last Ang Kuay I bought from him was 4.5 kgs.  Took off the head plus a bit of the body for the fish head curry, and filleted the rest for fish n chips 

That's big. Your fishmonger in toa payoh?

My fishmonger has more table fish. But i not really into all this. Nowadays also seldom buy fish cos my girl doesn't like to eat anything beyond salmon.
I just buy salmon from him mostly or some ang gor li sections for frozen fish that my wife can defrost to cook for my kids at times. 

Edited by Lala81

15 hours ago, Hamburger said:

4.5 kilo.... 😅

You sure it's not a baby shark🤭

His fishmonger must have customers who like big fish. And probably one of the bigger markets.
Usually these are people like Loki who are willing to buy bulk and buy big fish. ie regulars or people who stay landed/condo etc and have freezer space to keep them or go buy one shot quite a lot.
They also almost tend to be men who go wet market once a week at most or sometimes every 2-3 weeks. 

Most fishmongers tend to have smaller table fish. Cos the usual aunties that go almost every few days don't buy such big fish. Housewives have a strong tendency to buy what they need. Or at most 1 other meal's worth.

Just the economics of the business. 

• Praise 1

16 minutes ago, TangoCharlie said:

Fried 年糕 from my mum....foreground the usual yam kiap niangao,background is new...niangao kiap egg.😄😋😂

PXL_20220414_060253878.jpg

This nian gao is very lasting. Can keep for a very long time and it won't get spoilt.

• Praise 1

25 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

His fishmonger must have customers who like big fish. And probably one of the bigger markets.
Usually these are people like Loki who are willing to buy bulk and buy big fish. ie regulars or people who stay landed/condo etc and have freezer space to keep them or go buy one shot quite a lot.
They also almost tend to be men who go wet market once a week at most or sometimes every 2-3 weeks. 

Most fishmongers tend to have smaller table fish. Cos the usual aunties that go almost every few days don't buy such big fish. Housewives have a strong tendency to buy what they need. Or at most 1 other meal's worth.

Just the economics of the business. 

The fish monger we patronize only sell sea catch big fishes, prawns, sotong and lala. There is always a Q. They cut the fish according to customers' requests and pick all the bones with a pair of special pliers. 

• Praise 1

12 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

The fish monger we patronize only sell sea catch big fishes, prawns, sotong and lala. There is always a Q. They cut the fish according to customers' requests and pick all the bones with a pair of special pliers. 

I go the fishmonger in the small neighbourhood market opposite my old place. It's just familiarity. They sell smaller fishes and not high budget type of fish. 

I don't really like to go to the big wet markets. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2