❤️Pre-CB 2.0 What Did You Makan Today?❤️

Discoburg

(edited)

Happiness is when family appreciate what you cook, happier when they make requests for certain dishes. Did the roast pork and japanese char siu today.

For roast pork, decided to follow a traditional recipe. Decided not to use my beloved Ninja Foodi as the pork is too big though is 1kg only. Followed the procedure to the T. Turned out very crispy and flavourful. Do try it out as t is quite easy to follow and taste very authentic.

IMG-20210606-WA0001.thumb.jpg.45fa53bd0e276283cc974533b9478747.jpg

IMG-20210606-WA0006.thumb.jpg.05e50cfd39c5fc73bdcc43bd52d17d2a.jpg

For the japanese char siu, I tried the recipe because no frying of skin involved which is common in many videos. I do not like frying haha. Result is also very nice, very authentic as full of umami. But will not cook soon as really good for small bite. Eat more feeling very jialat though nice.

IMG-20210606-WA0002.thumb.jpg.69f57a23a9f7802982671ddd54720d91.jpg

IMG-20210606-WA0003.jpg

Added reference videos:

Edited by Heartlander
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 20

Hypersonic
7 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

Happiness is when family appreciate what you cook, happier when they make requests for certain dishes. Did the roast pork and japanese char siu today.

For roast pork, decided to follow a traditional recipe. Decided not to use my beloved Ninja Foodi as the pork is too big though is 1kg only. Followed the procedure to the T. Turned out very crispy and flavourful. Do try it out as t is quite easy to follow and taste very authentic.

IMG-20210606-WA0001.thumb.jpg.45fa53bd0e276283cc974533b9478747.jpg

IMG-20210606-WA0006.thumb.jpg.05e50cfd39c5fc73bdcc43bd52d17d2a.jpg

For the japanese char siu, I tried the recipe because no frying of skin involved which is common in many videos. I do not like frying haha. Result is also very nice, very authentic as full of umami. But will not cook soon as really good for small bite. Eat more feeling very jialat though nice.

IMG-20210606-WA0002.thumb.jpg.69f57a23a9f7802982671ddd54720d91.jpg

IMG-20210606-WA0003.jpg

looks good! porky goodness.

Been eating more chicken recently, will switch back to pork for this next two weeks.

• Haha! 2

On 6/4/2021 at 9:37 PM, Tohto said:

Wah.. you really good. These 2 internal parts are very difficult to clean. I don't even dare to cook at home.

I learned how to clean the pig stomach and intestines from my god mum, and after a few "practice", I can do it in a relatively short time of <1 hour (for both parts, together).

For pig stomach, have to get those fresh one (non deep frozen type), as the gunk can be removed much easier. For 粉肠, beside fresh one, look out for those pinkish colour one as they are generally very fresh and has no smell. Just need to spend a little time to sink the outer layer section by section.

On 6/5/2021 at 8:32 AM, Othello said:

ask you ah, do you squeeze out the gunk ? As those kway chup stalls do. When I cook it at home, I don't. Been eating the gunk inside since young, and used to the smell/taste already.

Yes rub with coarse salt, coat with tapioca flour, rinse and squeeze, no short cut. But as I shared above, getting the fresh / chilled one (from wet or supermart) will be easier to have the gunk removed totally. 

You can use any flour in fact, but I personally find the coarser texture of tapioca flour is best for the task. And after rubbing with flour, the last step is to rinse it with boiling water. 

For intestines, 粉肠 as above, while small and large one will have to run water through it for best results.

On 6/5/2021 at 10:56 AM, Lala81 said:

as a default i don't really like to eat fen chang. Unless its cooked by my mother...
even the good stores, got quite high chance of getting the funk smell.

My mum is zero tolerance for the smell/taste, so that one is 100% clean. [laugh]

Large intestines are the most difficult to remove the smell totally, have to use white vinegar beside salt and flour. 粉肠 is the easiest to prepare as long as you know how to skin the outer layer off.

Small intestines while not as difficult to clean as large one, over cleaning it will result in a rubbery texture when it was cooked. I don't know why...

On 6/5/2021 at 8:37 AM, Ckll said:

Made oreo cheesecake for the kids.

image.png.322fa2942df3344a23bc0386eb96498b.png

image.png.1bbda6c5783bf2f5dfa129447a03295a.png

Hi pal, your Oreo cake really look like those from bakery. May I know you grind the power yourself or use those ready made one from say PH? Can share the recipe? 

I am plan to get my daughter to try it, before her school start in end of next month. Thanks. 

• Praise 15
  • Haha! 1

Dinner.

Steam sea bass (bought live one), fried sweet bean with carrot & bean curd skin, and fried brinjal with egg & dark soya sauce. 

ZY0tRRl.jpg

I know the large amount of coriander is covering the whole fish but my whole family simply love it... [:p]

• Praise 23
  • Haha! 3

Turbocharged
41 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Is this spicy? Any simple recipe?

Talking about peas. They have always been added to jap curry stew so my kids can get used to them. And peas in stew is quite appropriate.

Today i needed some veggies to go with my chicken rice dabao to add some fibre.
Recently the CB has affected the supply of frozen vegetables (broccoli or cauliflower), so I'm forced to steam some peas with my tofu.
Wow they are actually sweet. It's more actual sweetness compared to say the milder sweetness of a carrot/raddish.

i didnt put much spice. just a green chilli, dried red chilli, chilli powder, and the spices. i followed this youtube guy. basically 95% follow his recipe.

for me after adding the chilli and spices, its still very mild. but you can reduce the chilli powder and dried chilli.

• Praise 10

Hypersonic
10 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

I learned how to clean the pig stomach and intestines from my god mum, and after a few "practice", I can do it in a relatively short time of <1 hour (for both parts, together).

For pig stomach, have to get those fresh one (non deep frozen type), as the gunk can be removed much easier. For 粉肠, beside fresh one, look out for those pinkish colour one as they are generally very fresh and has no smell. Just need to spend a little time to sink the outer layer section by section. 

Yes rub with coarse salt, coat with tapioca flour, rinse and squeeze, no short cut. But as I shared above, getting the fresh/ chilled one (from wet or supermart) will be easier to have the gunk removed totally. 

You can use any flour in fact, but I personally find the coarser texture of tapioca flour is best for the task. And after rubbing with flour, the last step is to rinse it with boiling water. 

For intestines, 粉肠 as above, while small and large one will have to run water through it for best results.

Large intestines are the more difficult to remove the smell totally, have to use white vinegar beside salt and flour. 粉肠 is the easiest to prepare as long as you know how to skin the outer layer off.

Small intestines while not as difficult to clean as large one, over cleaning it will result in a rubbery texture when it was cooked. I don't know why... 

Yes I didn't like the big intestine taste from my last few Kway zhup. 

Supercharged
10 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Can share the recipe? 

I am plan to get my daughter to try it, before her school start in end of next month. Thanks. 

I adapted it from the recipe I found on the back of the Knox gelatine that I used.

Have sent you a message with more loh-soh details 😅

image.png.e6b20614aed1bff3e696c80cecac808f.png

• Praise 8
  • Haha! 2

Hypersonic
2 hours ago, Tianmo said:

Another "free" one,  but this time I insist must pay him...  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

IMG20210606220737.thumb.jpg.d34fc1090d233306f3438360055b647d.jpg

Future son in law...

• Haha! 2

Hypersonic
27 minutes ago, Ckll said:

I adapted it from the recipe I found on the back of the Knox gelatine that I used.

Have sent you a message with more loh-soh details 😅

image.png.e6b20614aed1bff3e696c80cecac808f.png

Didn't know gelatin used in such no bake cheesecakes. 

Supercharged

Sun lunch and dinner .. Pizzas and spaghetti from Butternut at Taman Jurong Mkt & FC.

image.png.0bfb0460fb2bdbe66324457fb9f7ca9a.png

Spiced rice with fried chicken and sambal chili from Nine Spices at CCK Ave 4.

image.png.4b088f4eba17c73fa4c6f1c8f8d61658.png

• Praise 18

Supercharged
2 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Didn't know gelatin used in such no bake cheesecakes. 

Yeah, it's usually gelatine or whipping cream. 

The former less sinful 😁

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
(edited)
Just now, Ckll said:

Yeah, it's usually gelatine or whipping cream. 

The former less sinful 😁

Oh yeah cream missing from the recipe. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Haha! 1

Supercharged
5 minutes ago, Tohto said:

Future son in law...

Think he's trying to avoid .. that's why he insisted in paying him .. 🤣

• Haha! 8

Hypersonic
11 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Dinner.

Steam sea bass (bought live one), fried sweet bean with carrot & bean curd skin, and fried brinjal with egg & dark soya sauce. 

ZY0tRRl.jpg

I know the large amount of coriander is covering the whole fish but my whole family simply love it... [:p]

Seems like fully recovered[thumbsup] from the usual " camouflage " of the steam fish [laugh]

• Haha! 5