Jump to content
RachelKim

Cam Camera System that can store multiple days of recording

Recommended Posts

1st Gear

Hi everyone,


I would like to ask if there are any recommendations for car cam system that can store multidays of recordings. Because recent I received tp's letter regarding a certain violation which I simply have no memory of committing. I am usually a very safe driver. However as the violation was indicated around 10 days before the received the letter, I have no way of verifying on my end if the situation did happen since my car cam can only keep up to around 2 days of footage. In such cases seems like can only take tp's word for it. I believe their violation identifying systems are mostly accurate, but like anything else it cant be always 100%. Not saying that I didn't commit the violation, but I would prefer to have some evidence on my end too.

Are they any kind of systems which can storages up to maybe 10 days to 2 weeks of footage?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
11 minutes ago, RachelKim said:

Hi everyone,


I would like to ask if there are any recommendations for car cam system that can store multidays of recordings. Because recent I received tp's letter regarding a certain violation which I simply have no memory of committing. I am usually a very safe driver. However as the violation was indicated around 10 days before the received the letter, I have no way of verifying on my end if the situation did happen since my car cam can only keep up to around 2 days of footage. In such cases seems like can only take tp's word for it. I believe their violation identifying systems are mostly accurate, but like anything else it cant be always 100%. Not saying that I didn't commit the violation, but I would prefer to have some evidence on my end too.

Are they any kind of systems which can storages up to maybe 10 days to 2 weeks of footage?

Multiple SD cards. 

  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic

thinking out loud here, any cam systems linked to cloud ? 

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5th Gear
16 minutes ago, Blueray said:

thinking out loud here, any cam systems linked to cloud ? 

Blackvue, Thinkware and Garmin.

But they only upload "events" or incidents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5th Gear
23 minutes ago, Blueray said:

thinking out loud here, any cam systems linked to cloud ? 

Or use a redundant smartphone, preferably with an ultra-wide angle lens, install a suitable dashcam app, and configure the settings in Google Photos to auto upload the video files in the dashcam folder to Google Photos.

May need an adequate data plan though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
45 minutes ago, Blueray said:

thinking out loud here, any cam systems linked to cloud ? 

Look for commercial fleet management systems, but it will come at a price 

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic
15 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

Look for commercial fleet management systems, but it will come at a price 

ah, I see. 

cos I think regular car cams with SD cards will not meet TS' needs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supercharged (edited)
33 minutes ago, Blueray said:

ah, I see. 

cos I think regular car cams with SD cards will not meet TS' needs.

need to find cam that can use higher capacity SD card like 512GB should be able to record close to 10 days or more on lower resolution. 

Edited by Dafansu
  • Praise 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Blueray said:

ah, I see. 

cos I think regular car cams with SD cards will not meet TS' needs.

Yeah if you need cloud you’re talking about 4G/5G connectivity, and transmitting that amount of data will cost. Alternatively you retain that connectivity with much less data transmission by having onboard hard disk storage with an I ndependent power supply and hard disks sized to the amount of footage you wish to store. It’s not consumer-level products but more commercial-level products, so you’re going to expect to pay.

  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
24 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

Yeah if you need cloud you’re talking about 4G/5G connectivity, and transmitting that amount of data will cost. Alternatively you retain that connectivity with much less data transmission by having onboard hard disk storage with an I ndependent power supply and hard disks sized to the amount of footage you wish to store. It’s not consumer-level products but more commercial-level products, so you’re going to expect to pay.

Best change car to this? No?

 

 

FBF42AD5-49EC-47DC-99E6-73152C7C68D7.png

  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Twincharged

Hire a security guard ? 

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
14 hours ago, RachelKim said:

Hi everyone,


I would like to ask if there are any recommendations for car cam system that can store multidays of recordings. Because recent I received tp's letter regarding a certain violation which I simply have no memory of committing. I am usually a very safe driver. However as the violation was indicated around 10 days before the received the letter, I have no way of verifying on my end if the situation did happen since my car cam can only keep up to around 2 days of footage. In such cases seems like can only take tp's word for it. I believe their violation identifying systems are mostly accurate, but like anything else it cant be always 100%. Not saying that I didn't commit the violation, but I would prefer to have some evidence on my end too.

Are they any kind of systems which can storages up to maybe 10 days to 2 weeks of footage?

The purpose of the car camera is not use for ur case. As most car camera in the market focus on collision and 24 hrs recording as their USP. I don't think there is a car camera is capable of record 10 days straight. The memory car will be huge!!

Someone calculated how much video capacity a gopro can hold. (so let's take this as a reference)

image.png.02cfc6c84c3823227d86d6fb75fd9c53.png

At the maximum, it is 3600 mins. and it will convert to

image.png.2d5f4c1795ca41b6840cd751e0b523e1.png

Maximum is 2.5 days. which is still a far cry from the 10 days you wanted.

Quote

I think what you can do instead is if you think you have violated some traffic offence, you can back up the memory footage that day to safekeep. If letter realy come, you can tally the facts.

 

 

  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5th Gear
43 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

The purpose of the car camera is not use for ur case. As most car camera in the market focus on collision and 24 hrs recording as their USP. I don't think there is a car camera is capable of record 10 days straight. The memory car will be huge!!

Someone calculated how much video capacity a gopro can hold. (so let's take this as a reference)

image.png.02cfc6c84c3823227d86d6fb75fd9c53.png

At the maximum, it is 3600 mins. and it will convert to

image.png.2d5f4c1795ca41b6840cd751e0b523e1.png

Maximum is 2.5 days. which is still a far cry from the 10 days you wanted.

 

If the recordings are only for during driving and each day about 3 to 5 hour then a 1TB card should be able to last 12 to 20 days before old footages are overwritten.

 

  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
46 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

If the recordings are only for during driving and each day about 3 to 5 hour then a 1TB card should be able to last 12 to 20 days before old footages are overwritten.

 

Oh. no lah. I taking into consideration that @RachelKim will do 24 hour recording also mah. haha. Yup. you are right. if is a drive only recording, then should be any problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1st Gear
19 hours ago, Dafansu said:

need to find cam that can use higher capacity SD card like 512GB should be able to record close to 10 days or more on lower resolution. 

I am interested in this proposal, seems like an easy method to try now. I am using Hella DR 820 that supports up to 256 GB now. Any recommendations for the 512 GB ones?

My main concern is accessing a week's old's video that could be possible from unexpected TP's letters. Currently there is no way to protect drivers ourselves other than taking TP's word for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1st Gear
6 hours ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

If the recordings are only for during driving and each day about 3 to 5 hour then a 1TB card should be able to last 12 to 20 days before old footages are overwritten.

 

This sounds good, a 1TB card is still rather expensive now, would try a 512GB card but my current car cam (HELLA DR 820) only accepts up to 256GB. Still an upgrade from my 32 GB now. 

Yes, mainly required to record driving only. Parking/24h survellience usually quite safe for me as i try to park in multi-storey or close-cover carparks as much as possible. Sg's drivers still rather good skill and safe compared to those i see in the USA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5th Gear
27 minutes ago, RachelKim said:

This sounds good, a 1TB card is still rather expensive now, would try a 512GB card but my current car cam (HELLA DR 820) only accepts up to 256GB. Still an upgrade from my 32 GB now. 

Yes, mainly required to record driving only. Parking/24h survellience usually quite safe for me as i try to park in multi-storey or close-cover carparks as much as possible. Sg's drivers still rather good skill and safe compared to those i see in the USA.

If the car cam is rated to accept 256gb card like the Hella, you can go up to 512gb should be okay. 1tb card may cause writing problem.

Can get reasonably priced dashcam cards from Bizgram at Sim Lim Square level 5.

  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supercharged
On 5/16/2021 at 5:47 PM, RachelKim said:

Hi everyone,


I would like to ask if there are any recommendations for car cam system that can store multidays of recordings. Because recent I received tp's letter regarding a certain violation which I simply have no memory of committing. I am usually a very safe driver. However as the violation was indicated around 10 days before the received the letter, I have no way of verifying on my end if the situation did happen since my car cam can only keep up to around 2 days of footage. In such cases seems like can only take tp's word for it. I believe their violation identifying systems are mostly accurate, but like anything else it cant be always 100%. Not saying that I didn't commit the violation, but I would prefer to have some evidence on my end too.

Are they any kind of systems which can storages up to maybe 10 days to 2 weeks of footage?

without knowing the nature of the offence, let me just offer some tips.

if it is a speeding violation, the letter will state the date/time, street and lamp post number. unless the recording cam system includes the speed, you would also be wondering what speed you drove. suffice to say the speeding cams are quite precise. you may go to tp to challenge and see the picture also.

if it is a red light violation, there is a photo also and you can request to see it at tp.

if it is other type violation, i have no other experience to share.. lol

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×