Survival of the fittest, we shouldn't waste anymore pocket money

Windwaver

Survival of the fittest, we shouldn't waste anymore pocket money  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Worth saving businesses that refuses to evolve?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sitting on the fence

Hypersonic
14 minutes ago, Soya said:

Open smlj lifestyle cafe?

Open affordable Zhi char confirm do we'll 

lol there are lot of zi char that toh also one lah.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

Supercharged
2 hours ago, Beregond said:

i feel mof fail not because of cov19 or quality of food etc. their business model fail, expand too big and fast, keep trying to take over other company etc etc end up too much debt .

they own 4.8m not 200k,  they got 80 +_ outlet at 1 point ,not gonna fall for 200k

even before that the director or boss already trying to run road, sell house change name of her property etc etc,  

I had the impression MOF already toh long before COVID.... maybe something in 2019 already out in the news that MOF boss MIA all the creditors and employees all owned money.

• Praise 2

Is it coincidence but I just watched Lao Gao's video on Darwinism a few days ago. Not really the same topic discussed here but I learnt that he is a bum with a really rich father.

Anyway, I think TS is talking about more than Capitalism instead of Darwinism right? They have similarities but not the same. Unfortunately we are in a pandemic and I believe we need to save jobs at a macro level. 

Maybe the pandemic itself is Darwinism to force human evolution, who knows.

• Praise 4

Supercharged
2 hours ago, inlinesix said:

A lot of ppl like to set up cafe biz.  Thinking it is very trendy and sexy.

The question is: How do you stand out from the rest?

Young couple... wanna work together... lovey kiss kiss when no customer

Parents sponsor lor

Seen 1 case the gal settle customer service (irony she is black face type), bf do the exec chef and cooking. Gal father is the VC.

In the end restaurant ended when they broke up... wahaha

• Haha! 5

Supercharged
1 minute ago, Weez911 said:

Is it coincidence but I just watched Lao Gao's video on Darwinism a few days ago. Not really the same topic discussed here but I learnt that he is a bum with a really rich father.

The youtube where some PRC living in Japan talk shit about anything under the sun?

Hypersonic
55 minutes ago, bsswan said:

Your Thread title and Content a little different.

I voted "No" based on the thread title and experience of seeing wrong companies being bailed out (not mine, for reference 😉). F&B is a bit more of a specific and, currently, challenging topic but many chains have evolved, now using very large centralised kitchens and subcontracting menu items.

I could believe MoF is in this position, given it's size? If, then, they still are in trouble then is it a matter of COVID timing or something more structural? The banks and creditors are the ones to make the choice and if they have decided the $200k cannot be returned through a suitable time extension then I would suggest MoF problems are structural and not temporary. Creditors will always wait for a return instead of getting zero, especially in the current zero interest rate environment.......unless creditors are equally in trouble, such as kitchen subcontractors where losses continue to increase and they just want to put a stop to that.

There are many smaller chains or one-off restaurants doing very well, now embracing take-out and delivery options. The model is quite simple, non-CB times can eat-in, take-away and have delivery each with different pricing. Eat-in, one price with take-out that price less 20-25% or delivery that same eat-in price plus, delivery (or free with Minimum Order). Very simple structure, easy to understand, and acceptable. COVID created or speeded up this process but in the hope eat-in remains the long term default model when times allow.

Other business lines........ I heard it from HK Bubble Flight discussions about some guys flying to HK next week to meet office staff and clients there and it was very important for them etc. - interviewed on TV to say the same. Most of these guys were in it to feel important, not for the reason. Businesses that have not evolved in the last 12months to reduce or remove this need to physical contact really shouldn't be the type to be saved if the time is required. "Just-for-a-Chat" or a physical hand shake arguments are now off the table, as far as I'm concerned but the big problem is service, having experts positioned in the wrong country or region to fix problems. Even on this front, TeamViewer, for example, has added functionality to allow a novice, to some extent, to be guided into fixing a problem via AI and a mobile phone camera. Generally speaking, solutions are available for evolution.

From my side, we adapted and put processes in place a few weeks before CB last year on the anticipation of it's arrival and, whilst it took a week or so to iron out kinks, in the end we waited for clients and partners to catch up. They have and, actually, in an odd side effect, we are talking to overseas contacts more than pre-COVID, actually talking instead of email.

It used to be said the only two things in life that are guaranteed, is death and taxes but @Tianmo is also right to add/mention "change."

maintaining service/vendor customer relationship maybe no need to meet in person.

But business development, no in person, tiagong difficult.

Internet is a big enabler, but the ultimate equalizer. Cos its infinite competition or at least radically expanded competition within a service domain.
Google ads or similarly premium/recommended highlighted vendors are now the new cost of business. Customer loyalty is increasingly more fickle in this internet age.

Say u are a hawker stall in one part of the estate, now your competition is 100% of the estate enabled by Grab/Deliveroo.
Grab/deliveroo doesnt give two hoots to you. U or any other F&B outlet replacing u doesn't affect their income stream/revenue. 

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

MOFood - food is neh and blah. No memory of how it even taste though I might have dined there 2x over so many years. 

Nothing about their food stands out. And expanded too fast. Without a focus of any one cuisine. Simi sai also want to do and in the end, nothing great in anything.

Won't go back for 3rd time. Oops, no chance to go back for 3rd time liao.

• Praise 2

5 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

The youtube where some PRC living in Japan talk shit about anything under the sun?

Their official channel name is Mr and Mrs Gao. 

Twincharged
(edited)
22 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

lol there are lot of zi char that toh also one lah.

especially when the head chef runs off and drags his people along.

bottom line is that you need to be a hands on boss. and not just come out money. Else either kenna smoked by workers or smoked by partners.

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 7

10 hours ago, bsswan said:

I voted "No" based on the thread title and experience of seeing wrong companies being bailed out (not mine, for reference 😉). F&B is a bit more of a specific and, currently, challenging topic but many chains have evolved, now using very large centralised kitchens and subcontracting menu items.

I could believe MoF is in this position, given it's size? If, then, they still are in trouble then is it a matter of COVID timing or something more structural? The banks and creditors are the ones to make the choice and if they have decided the $200k cannot be returned through a suitable time extension then I would suggest MoF problems are structural and not temporary. Creditors will always wait for a return instead of getting zero, especially in the current zero interest rate environment.......unless creditors are equally in trouble, such as kitchen subcontractors where losses continue to increase and they just want to put a stop to that.

There are many smaller chains or one-off restaurants doing very well, now embracing take-out and delivery options. The model is quite simple, non-CB times can eat-in, take-away and have delivery each with different pricing. Eat-in, one price with take-out that price less 20-25% or delivery that same eat-in price plus, delivery (or free with Minimum Order). Very simple structure, easy to understand, and acceptable. COVID created or speeded up this process but in the hope eat-in remains the long term default model when times allow.

Other business lines........ I heard it from HK Bubble Flight discussions about some guys flying to HK next week to meet office staff and clients there and it was very important for them etc. - interviewed on TV to say the same. Most of these guys were in it to feel important, not for the reason. Businesses that have not evolved in the last 12months to reduce or remove this need to physical contact really shouldn't be the type to be saved if the time is required. "Just-for-a-Chat" or a physical hand shake arguments are now off the table, as far as I'm concerned but the big problem is service, having experts positioned in the wrong country or region to fix problems. Even on this front, TeamViewer, for example, has added functionality to allow a novice, to some extent, to be guided into fixing a problem via AI and a mobile phone camera. Generally speaking, solutions are available for evolution.

From my side, we adapted and put processes in place a few weeks before CB last year on the anticipation of it's arrival and, whilst it took a week or so to iron out kinks, in the end we waited for clients and partners to catch up. They have and, actually, in an odd side effect, we are talking to overseas contacts more than pre-COVID, actually talking instead of email.

It used to be said the only two things in life that are guaranteed, is death and taxes but @Tianmo is also right to add/mention "change."

TLDR 

But still like your effort😎

MOF is overrated lah.... 

Their model was like 199.

Open too many too fast. 

High debt, low cashflow 

How to sustain? 

Only suppliers will know the losses they have when they they encounter such operator... 

Probably a decade later write a book to "share" their business experience..... 

Or inexperience 

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
21 hours ago, bsswan said:

Spoiler

I was using MoF as an example but the point of the thread is about organizations not willing to put in effort to adapt but continue to think handouts and aids will come to them in a circuit breaker.

I thumbs up your post because you're realistic about being adaptable (in your case, put in processes and sorting out problems).

Hypersonic

Many organisations are inefficient and hire too many people

but if they became efficient then a lot of people will have no jobs

and jobs are livelihoods.

:D

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

Running and Managing  a F&B business is pretty hard nowsaday, let's skip the MOM law , hiring, training , CPF process, I speak on behalf of few of my former F&B bosses

1-  Fast food American coy- There sold the franchise business and yet raking in millions simply  they apply technology of apps, EDM and G assistance on Enterprising Singapore Entrepreneur. one of the Maker of Choice here.- When I asked the Chief this Q-" Sir, How many stores do you expect to open here in Singapore ? " - He calmly replied :" The Sky the limit. " [laugh]

2- American Family Restaurant & Lounge - this chain died couples of year ago - with only one Ang Mo GM managing the set-up with a Financial Accountant, only the Ang Mo idiot made majority decision, less than 6 branches and he single-handedly destroyed it faster than he can chew, God Blessed America [wave]

3- A Foreign Buffet and Ala-carte Rest - One of the rare restaurant who has successfully made in here with local coaches bring in tourist lunch and dinner crowds in its hey days are calling for help, the boss " Tahan and Tong " he almost wanted to SOS, I told him this sharing : " I said, bro, it is how much you can bleed month-in month-out ?,  the longer you bleed and others F&B will  close, You win liao lor . . " Now he is still around making new plan, now fighting again for ( Heightened Alert Lockdown ). it is not lack of foresight or G's assistance . . . not daring enough to take up technology to compete with equal big boys, shortage of cash flow.

4- This group of Food people are hugh, one of the biggest F&B group in Singapore, their operation mode are slightly different -they owned many brand names in most Malls food courts, Eateries, even as far as Changi Airport Jewels & Terminals . . . their operation heist is now taking over FNB establishment that are about to close, seizure & assignment deal, the past 2 months they have been busy busy acquiring many many establishment here over North, South Central and some say . . . cannot share too much 

One door Closes is another one Opening . . .[grouphug]

• Praise 4

On 5/21/2021 at 2:11 PM, Soya said:

Open smlj lifestyle cafe?

Open affordable Zhi char confirm do we'll 

Some opened and closed this type yet huat hor...🤫

24 minutes ago, Meanmachine said:

Running and Managing  a F&B business is pretty hard nowsaday, let's skip the MOM law , hiring, training , CPF process, I speak on behalf of few of my former F&B bosses

1-  Fast food American coy- There sold the franchise business and yet raking in millions simply  they apply technology of apps, EDM and G assistance on Enterprising Singapore Entrepreneur. one of the Maker of Choice here.- When I asked the Chief this Q-" Sir, How many stores do you expect to open here in Singapore ? " - He calmly replied :" The Sky the limit. " [laugh]

2- American Family Restaurant & Lounge - this chain died couples of year ago - with only one Ang Mo GM managing the set-up with a Financial Accountant, only the Ang Mo idiot made majority decision, less than 6 branches and he single-handedly destroyed it faster than he can chew, God Blessed America [wave]

3- A Foreign Buffet and Ala-carte Rest - One of the rare restaurant who has successfully made in here with local coaches bring in tourist lunch and dinner crowds in its hey days are calling for help, the boss " Tahan and Tong " he almost wanted to SOS, I told him this sharing : " I said, bro, it is how much you can bleed month-in month-out ?,  the longer you bleed and others F&B will  close, You win liao lor . . " Now he is still around making new plan, now fighting again for ( Heightened Alert Lockdown ). it is not lack of foresight or G's assistance . . . not daring enough to take up technology to compete with equal big boys, shortage of cash flow.

4- This group of Food people are hugh, one of the biggest F&B group in Singapore, their operation mode are slightly different -they owned many brand names in most Malls food courts, Eateries, even as far as Changi Airport Jewels & Terminals . . . their operation heist is now taking over FNB establishment that are about to close, seizure & assignment deal, the past 2 months they have been busy busy acquiring many many establishment here over North, South Central and some say . . . cannot share too much 

One door Closes is another one Opening . . .[grouphug]

F&B can say hard , also can say the easiest.

why i say so?? despite makan places in every corner of singapore, 24/7 .

eating/drinking is the 1 and only thing we die die must have.

its the super essential of the essential. 

the expectation is the key, what do u expect to get out of it? why u enter??

u expect to throw in 200k or even 1m and have an outlet or 2 and can collect money every month, and planning of expanding later?? like that mostly die.

u enter cos u love food, u love cooking, u love to see ppl enjoying your food, u dun mind hands on and long hours and min profit, u stand a chance.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
19 hours ago, Beregond said:

F&B can say hard , also can say the easiest.

why i say so?? despite makan places in every corner of singapore, 24/7 .

eating/drinking is the 1 and only thing we die die must have.

its the super essential of the essential. 

the expectation is the key, what do u expect to get out of it? why u enter??

u expect to throw in 200k or even 1m and have an outlet or 2 and can collect money every month, and planning of expanding later?? like that mostly die.

u enter cos u love food, u love cooking, u love to see ppl enjoying your food, u dun mind hands on and long hours and min profit, u stand a chance.

Most people are in for maximum margin and complain when their margin is thinning.

tX-0reQO.jpghqdefault.jpgbc0cd0740a9b470c34fc668a5489fed3_750x750

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged
39 minutes ago, Windwaver said:

Most people are in for maximum margin and complain when their margin is thinning.

Ya maybe they have to buy secondhand AP watch leh

↡ Advertisement