MCO 3.0: Muhyiddin's honest answer on why Msia can't do another full lockdown

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/malaysia-muhyiddin-yassin-covid19-mco-interview-economy-safety-14869452

09nstMCO30png_1620561074.jpg.d34e7928e12b8e9df7257aa8bfe0a569.jpg

A full COVID-19 lockdown with all sectors shut like what was imposed last year would guarantee people’s safety, but there is a risk that the economy could collapse, said Malaysian Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin.

Speaking in an interview aired by RTM and Bernama TV on Sunday (May 23), he noted that there have been calls for stricter curbs during the current Movement Control Order (MCO) to match what was first imposed between March and May last year.

“We (could) close everything and sit quietly, factories close and everyone stays at home and that guarantees safety. It is easy for the government and Ministry of Health to manage our lives," he said.

“We saw the cases rise ... so I made a decision to close everything (last year) ... At that time, the cases were few, it was easy to manage - just a few clusters, but not widespread in our community ... The impact on the economy was very big,” he recounted. 

He noted that the economy almost collapsed back then, with the country losing RM2.4 billion (US$579 million) per day. The government rolled out RM340 billion worth of economic assistance.

Mr Muhyiddin said that things are different now, with a majority of the cases in the community. 

“If we need to do it again (and roll out economic assistance), we need more money. RM340 billion will not be enough because the impact is worse. I would need to set aside half a trillion. But do we have half a trillion?"

“That is why we have learnt over the last year, we cannot close the economy. We have to balance life and livelihoods ... I think life is important because I do not want people to die because of our or their carelessness. But I also do not want our economy to collapse to a point where people have no money to eat," he said.

He added: "Now we are at MCO 3.0, which is a little restricted ... Why did we not go back to MCO 1.0? We can, but what about the impact (to the economy)? People have to understand."

On Saturday, the government announced tighter restrictions that will kick in on May 25 under the current MCO 3.0. These include more people being made to work from home, while business operating hours were reduced to between 8am to 8pm, among others. 

During the interview on Sunday, the prime minister urged people to play their part in helping Malaysia and the world safe.

“This is a challenge for all of us. Not just me or you, it’s all of us. As mentioned before, it’s about the whole of society, all of us are involved together. 

“We are presently at war, and usually during a war, we look for cover. We do not go out in the open, or we will get shot. So as I mentioned earlier, what is most safe is we sit at home, most safe is we follow SOPs (standard operating procedures), I’ve said this many times."

He added: “People ask me why not impose a lockdown? I say, you do your own lockdown, a self-lockdown. Just stay at home to be safe and tell others to do the same.” 

Mr Muhyiddin was also asked to comment on how the more infectious COVID-19 variants, such as those originating from South Africa and India, have been detected in Malaysia despite border closures. 

Mr Muhyiddin stressed that even though the borders are mostly closed to visitors, there was no sure way to prevent these variants from entering the country. However, he maintained that the government was taking precautions to prevent this from happening as much as possible. 

“Seriously, it’s difficult to say the variant have entered because of (lax) border restrictions … Regardless of how we manage, there is no 100 per cent guarantee the variant will not enter this country,” he said.

He added: “Our borders are expansive, not just the peninsula, there’s also Sabah and Sarawak where we are neighbours with the Philippines, Indonesia, where workers from Bangladesh also enter from these borders." 

The prime minister reiterated that besides taking steps to manage Malaysia’s borders, what was “more important” is that Malaysians take care of themselves, by adhering to protocols to curb the spread of COVID-19. 

“From a healthcare perspective … what is important is we are constantly being careful."

Good luck and all the best to our family, relatives and friends across the causeway. Stay home and stay safe till we meet again! Xoxo. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 10

Let's be honest to ourselves.

Lockdown or close borders is only a temp solution. I only hope those who taken vaccine n infected with the covid virus (whatever variants) will not have permanent or serious health damage, whole world accept this fact n we move on

• Praise 9

Hypersonic
(edited)

This is really the very first time I respected a Malaysia leader,  for what he said in public,  and for his guts of saying the truth.... [thumbsup][laugh][laugh]

Here,  other than maybe having more money in the reserve,  we are very similar to them,  so ppl, do your own lockdown, follow SOP and stay at home,  learn to take care of yourself and keep safe.  

Like it or not,  open leg or not, sooner or later the virus will find it's way here, somewhere somehow.

However I still feel that we sld have done a similar CB to the imports.  If we can CB the community and the dorm, we sld have installed a CB with the imports as well.  Not lock for good but turning it on when things get bad,  and back off when things improve,  maybe 2 weeks?  Maybe 4 weeks?  Why not? [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Edited by Tianmo
  • Praise 13

Internal Moderator
8 hours ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

The whole world probably should lock down for 1-2 months at same time, try contain the virus 

WE SHOULD! Then we can all get on with our lives, till disease X! 😫 I remember Ho Ching wrote a post about this months back, ideally if the whole world comes to a standstill for one or two months, COVID-19 will be long gone but we all know that's not how it works, the show must still go on. And I know everyone like to blast Ho Ching for her unconventional way of expressing her thoughts (at times hehehheehhehe) but some of her COVID-19 posts are quite insightful. I see her as an unofficial account of PM Lee, with the insider scoop and he gets to cuss. 😆

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 2

25 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

WE SHOULD! Then we can all get on with our lives, till disease X! 😫 I remember Ho Ching wrote a post about this months back, ideally if the whole world comes to a standstill for one or two months, COVID-19 will be long gone but we all know that's not how it works, the show must still go on. And I know everyone like to blast Ho Ching for her unconventional way of expressing her thoughts (at times hehehheehhehe) but some of her COVID-19 posts are quite insightful. I see her as an unofficial account of PM Lee, with the insider scoop and he gets to cuss. 😆

The problem lies in the habits, educational levels, cultures as well. 1-2 months of lockdown can already be living hell here for some people when we are so developed n access to food, water and other necessities is easy but that can't be said for many other countries. Life has to still go on for some people too, those with chronic health problems and having weekly therapies for instance. So long as there's movement and contact, however marginal it may be, the virus has a good chance to survive with us..

A balanced approach and a calculated one may be the best one we have for now. Btw I don't support the opening of doors too. Rather have sia think of how to reinvent the wheel and for changi airport to lose some than for many here to suffer.

• Praise 2

9 hours ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

The whole world probably should lock down for 1-2 months at same time, try contain the virus 

Actually i totally agree with this.

I heard 958 doctor say the virus will die in like 14 days. 

If the whole  world come  together and do a standardise quarrentin for once can help  alot.

• Praise 1

Twincharged
1 hour ago, BabyBlade said:

If everyone stop than it’s a fair game no? Just like F1 accident all go slow together n resume after it’s safe. If however some slow n some take advantage of the situation than it’s a no brainer for a

why should I question.., 

(edited)
1 hour ago, BabyBlade said:

WE SHOULD! Then we can all get on with our lives, till disease X!

It's a nice thought, but unfortunately it's probably futile.

Unless we teach bats to wear face masks, COVID will simply reappear from animal reservoirs back into human population.

Meanwhile we're simply buying time. At great cost.

Either it's immunity the easy way (vaccines) or the hard way.

COVID is just too damn contagious to eradicate.

China knows it too. That's why their vaccine drive has gone into overdrive these past months.

We'll need to learn to live with COVID as it becomes endemic, like the flu. (which btw killed 600 people in Singapore in 2019 - didn't cause us to lock the country down)

9 hours ago, Kia7200 said:

Let's be honest to ourselves.

Lockdown or close borders is only a temp solution. I only hope those who taken vaccine n infected with the covid virus (whatever variants) will not have permanent or serious health damage, whole world accept this fact n we move on

Completely agree. A painful truth, but a truth nonetheless.

Edited by CremornePt
  • Praise 3

44 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

If everyone stop than it’s a fair game no? Just like F1 accident all go slow together n resume after it’s safe. If however some slow n some take advantage of the situation than it’s a no brainer for a

why should I question.., 

Is everyone stopping? I stay home, still get salary, can get grabfood or redmart to deliver. Save time on commute everyday - quite shiok also la. Even if no salary my savings can last quite some time

Some chap in India or Africa stop going out to work, his family will starve to death within 1 month. Further more, the population those countries might be very young (median age in africa is less than 20) and not so susceptible to the more serious effects of covid - you think they will commit suicide for some rich folks in developed countries?

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

And I know everyone like to blast Ho Ching for her unconventional way of expressing her thoughts (at times hehehheehhehe) but some of her COVID-19 posts are quite insightful. I see her as an unofficial account of PM Lee, with the insider scoop and he gets to cuss. 😆

No problem if it is an unofficial account of Hsien Loong but I think we all know who wears the pants in that relationship. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

Supercharged

Malaysia pok kai liao! Itchy backside allow undergrads to balek kampung for Hari Raya and give green light to pasar malams.  

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Beregond said:

Actually i totally agree with this.

I heard 958 doctor say the virus will die in like 14 days. 

If the whole  world come  together and do a standardise quarrentin for once can help  alot.

Yah if half lockdown half not then cases wont reduce. Need everyone cooperation 

• Praise 1

Lessons learn from multiple countries over the past 12 months:

If you try to avoid short term pain by refusing to lock down quickly, Virus will hit you back  harder later by incurring greater pain and forcing you have a harder and longer lock down

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
10 hours ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

trouble is my lock down is not the same as your lock down. 1 is people still walk about within the state. the other is people stay at home and go out only for essentials (gym is essential for some countries). some is only food is delivered to you, dont you dare stick your head out the door.

like this is no end 

• Praise 1

10 minutes ago, Nolicense said:

trouble is my lock down is not the same as your lock down. 1 is people still walk about within the state. the other is people stay at home and go out only for essentials (gym is essential for some countries). some is only food is delivered to you, dont you dare stick your head out the door.

like this is no end 

1 is people still walk about within the state district.

Cannot even cross district hor

Turbocharged
1 minute ago, inlinesix said:

1 is people still walk about within the state district.

Cannot even cross district hor

in malaysia i hear they are allowed to go to work when factory and home are in different states also. have they stopped this already?

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

No problem if it is an unofficial account of Hsien Loong but I think we all know who wears the pants in that relationship. 

Aye aye. Happy wife happy life! 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2