Costs for changing rear lights

RachelKim

From non-LED to LED, no sure whether it is so straightforward as plug-and-play.

It is running on a different current.

↡ Advertisement

1 hour ago, kobayashiGT said:

If is from Original Mazda Factory, LTA cannot fault you. They fault you means they fault Mazda Japan. So their stuff not road legal. 🤣

That is not always the case. Apparently early model Lancer EX/Evo X owners who wanted to update to late model tail lamps could apparently only purchase them through Cycle and Carriage because only they would provide certification that LTA would recognize as being suitable for their cars.

• Praise 1

My advice is mai liao lui. Why you install something which you can't see when driving? 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

(edited)
10 hours ago, RachelKim said:

I found a video on youtube on a DIY service, but i see that there are some section that requires waterproofing. So don't really dare to do myself haha, $100 is a fair cost to me, was thinking if this will void any dealer warrantly.

This looks straightforward to me. You just need the necessary tools to remove the trim and unscrew the light housing. 

What water proofing? The housing itself is already sealed to prevent any leaks. Those foam adhesive are not "waterproofing". You can use any 3M foam adhesive tape. IMO it is not necessary. It is a hassle to remove the residue. Not necessary cos if you need to switch between the original and this...you will get the idea.

Does the assembly you bought comes with the LED bulbs? 

You just have to follow what the video does. Why do you want to pay for someone to do it?

If inspection comes and fail, not only pay extra for re-inspection but also pay for that someone to put back the original ones and then put them back on when inspection is done? You rich also dont spend your money that way. If you do it yourself switching back and forth is foc.

I suggest you drop the idea. These rear lights you cannot get to see it when you are inside of the car driving. And for all that hassle and possible fine and to pay someone to do it. It is pointless.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Haha! 1

15 minutes ago, Roh96 said:

My advice is mai liao lui. Why you install something which you can't see when driving? 

The only light mod I did was to replace the license plate bulbs to Led to match the rest of the LED taillights. Strange for the manufacturer to leave one single halogen light at the rear. Passed inspection no issues. Probably looked more original than halogen! 

• Praise 2

(edited)
4 hours ago, inlinesix said:

From non-LED to LED, no sure whether it is so straightforward as plug-and-play.

It is running on a different current.

depending on what car and which light, some are direct one to one plug and play replacement, some must use CANBUS LED bulb to avoid error code or some funny behaviour.

Edited by Ahwhye
  • Praise 1

6 minutes ago, Ahwhye said:

depending on what car and which light, some are direct one to one plug and play replacement, some must use CANBUS LED bulb to avoid error code or some funny behaviour.

TS wants to replace the entire light unit.

Not bulb

4 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

The only light mod I did was to replace the license plate bulbs to Led to match the rest of the LED taillights. Strange for the manufacturer to leave one single halogen light at the rear. Passed inspection no issues. Probably looked more original than halogen! 

I tried to change my license plate bulbs to some cheapo LED when one was dead, but ended up with flickering if I changed both. so I just stay with filament bulbs. that's how i learned about this canbus bulb thing..

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, inlinesix said:

TS wants to replace the entire light unit.

Not bulb

even entire light unit, also need to see bulbs, a lot modern car can detect bulb failure and warn driver, changing original filament or halogen bulb to LED may trigger it. so either the light unit have to be using some canbus bulb thingy or somehow someone can modify the EMU detection threshold.

(edited)
2 minutes ago, Ahwhye said:

even entire light unit, also need to see bulbs, a lot modern car can detect bulb failure and warn driver, changing original filament or halogen bulb to LED may trigger it. so either the light unit have to be using some canbus bulb thingy or somehow someone can modify the EMU detection threshold.

That's why i said it is not so straight forward as plug and play

There is voltage and ampere difference

Edited by inlinesix

Twincharged
On 5/24/2021 at 10:04 PM, Ceecookie said:

If you buy the original OEM led lamp from mazda, you may have luck passing it off as original in inspection centres. Some close one eye as long as it's does not look obvious aftermarket part.

Check with the workshop first whether the electrical socket for the LED and bulb tail lamps are the same. if yes, its pretty much screws and plug and play (DIY-able), and you can also re-install the original one to pass inspection down the road. If the writing is different, you may need to engage your workshop to discuss about the effort to swap back. 

The scare about fines are overrated actually. I am running retrofitted led low beam for more than 2 years without any fines even with TP riding in front of me.

TP don't care about Car Mods,only LTA does.

Thanks for all the information guys, they are really helpful. Might go ahead and just order the parts to DIY. From the video it seems like quite a few steps but nothing too daunting to approach. Its true that lights I can see when i using the car, but when i see other cars with those lights kinda wish they are on my car too haha, also when unlock car door the lights will turn on too 😉

• Praise 2

On 5/26/2021 at 8:06 AM, ER-3682 said:

Just stick to Bulb,at least if spoil,replacement is cheaper,LED,if any Spoil,is change whole Unit.

My previous YOM 2002 BMW 520 LED taillight spoil after 8 years.

The LED is working fine.

The problem is soldering point 

On 5/25/2021 at 10:08 AM, Roh96 said:

我聼過最真的真理😂

• Haha! 1

On 5/24/2021 at 7:42 PM, RachelKim said:

Hi everyone,

Would anyone be able to share roughly what are the costs in changing the rear light? I am looking for change my Mazda 3 rear lights to the led ones, and after enquiring from AD they don't seem to provide that service.

I am able to purchase the lights online (should be original) and looking for workshop to perform the service. Any idea how much should I expect? Also would it affect the warranty? (Assuming original Mazda part)

photo_2021-05-16 17.49.22.jpeg

photo_2021-05-16 17.49.25.jpeg

Just buy from a local stockist and bring to any work shop and they can install for you.

Hypersonic

RachelKim sounds like a nice girl from Korea - my type so much give nice answer like on BB heavy drinking thread.

Please lah no say - just change car lah, cannot do its illegal lah, suck it up and live with it lah etc etc

Inspection first time only after 3 years, next time only after every 2 years.

So just change lah. To change back before inspection just remove the 4 screws plug and unplug.

:D

Hope my nice reply is worth it and she looks like this

image.thumb.png.6615ae70dbbc00472c7dfc1ab5508d2a.png

and not this.

image.thumb.png.6bdacf40985c85325f132c144d8080ee.png

• Haha! 4

On 5/24/2021 at 7:42 PM, RachelKim said:

Hi everyone,

Would anyone be able to share roughly what are the costs in changing the rear light? I am looking for change my Mazda 3 rear lights to the led ones, and after enquiring from AD they don't seem to provide that service.

I am able to purchase the lights online (should be original) and looking for workshop to perform the service. Any idea how much should I expect? Also would it affect the warranty? (Assuming original Mazda part)

photo_2021-05-16 17.49.22.jpeg

photo_2021-05-16 17.49.25.jpeg

So have you found out the cost? Found out from one of the local stockist that per side of the led headlamps of ours cost $800+.

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1