CUPRA's All-Electric Born Hot Hatch Is Here

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

cupra-born-electric-cars-ev-volkswagen-i

SEAT co-brand CUPRA has unleashed its first all-electric car, the Born. Under the skin, the Born uses Volkswagen Group’s MEB platform (read Volkswagen ID.3), but that’s where the similarities and the differences start and end.

Kicking things off with the styling, CUPRA has delivered a recipe for the perfect all-electric hot hatch. It’s angular at the front, with the surfaces looking sculpted in such a way that they pierce the air for better economy. At the side, it’s all user-friendly and accessible, with sporty nods coming in the form of a raked roofline, a contrasting side skirt, and a set of 20” alloy rims. As for the rear, CUPRA makes the Born seem more charming and softer, however yet again a sporting edge is encouraged with the “diffuser”-like bumper, angular rear lights, and the small spoiler.

The Born will come with two power outputs: either 150 PS or 204 PS, with the latter offering an extra e-Boost function that will kick power up to 231 PS (which is around 227 BHP, and thus a considerable amount more than other electric “hot hatches” such as the MINI Cooper SE or the BMW i3S). CUPRA claims a 0-62 MPH time of just 6.6 seconds, and because it features high-tech lithium-ion batteries it’ll do up to 540km on a single charge, when paired with a 77kWh battery pack. With this pack, it’ll also offer 100 miles from just seven minutes of charge.

Spoiler

okay legit. now i wanna drive a electric car. 😁

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Supersonic
(edited)

6+ seconds? That is really, really slow for an electric car, let alone a supposed "hot hatch".

Something that slow + no manual option means why the eff would anyone get it?

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Haha! 2

Turbocharged
46 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

SEAT co-brand CUPRA has unleashed its first all-electric car, the Born. Under the skin, the Born uses Volkswagen Group’s MEB platform (read Volkswagen ID.3), but that’s where the similarities and the differences start and end.

Kicking things off with the styling, CUPRA has delivered a recipe for the perfect all-electric hot hatch. It’s angular at the front, with the surfaces looking sculpted in such a way that they pierce the air for better economy. At the side, it’s all user-friendly and accessible, with sporty nods coming in the form of a raked roofline, a contrasting side skirt, and a set of 20” alloy rims. As for the rear, CUPRA makes the Born seem more charming and softer, however yet again a sporting edge is encouraged with the “diffuser”-like bumper, angular rear lights, and the small spoiler.

The Born will come with two power outputs: either 150 PS or 204 PS, with the latter offering an extra e-Boost function that will kick power up to 231 PS (which is around 227 BHP, and thus a considerable amount more than other electric “hot hatches” such as the MINI Cooper SE or the BMW i3S). CUPRA claims a 0-62 MPH time of just 6.6 seconds, and because it features high-tech lithium-ion batteries it’ll do up to 540km on a single charge, when paired with a 77kWh battery pack. With this pack, it’ll also offer 100 miles from just seven minutes of charge.

Reveal hidden contents

Those head lights look like those on the last gen Hyundai Avante.

• Haha! 1

5 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

6+ seconds? That is really, really slow for an electric car, let alone a supposed "hot hatch".

Spanish horses  < German horses 🤔

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
5 hours ago, shrjun said:

Spanish horses  < German horses 🤔

Yeap. Spanish horses less power than German horses. But Spanish bulls are damn powerful.

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
11 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

I will be wondering that too.

• Praise 1

Looks so much nicer than the VW ID3 in my opinion. It looks really sporty and beautiful. 6.6 secs is really more than sufficient and it will feel faster than the quoted time because of the electric torque.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1