Very bad fuel consumption 🥴

BabyBlade

Hypersonic

Get it checked at workshop. Definitely something wrong. Or your calculation wrong? 😂😂

• Haha! 4

9 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

7.5km/l on my last tank yikes! I can do bad fc but this is super duper bad on a tiny 1.5L car. Was on Esso 95 previously on the 7.5km/l, just pumped Caltex 95 + Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner and monitoring but so far no improvements.

Any suggestions to achieve better fuel consumption so that I can at least make it to KL in one tank? Deciding to stop at Ayer Keroh R&R for A&W should be by choice, not by force. 😆 

Please help me get from very bad fc to okok fc hahaha. 🥴

Something is wrong. Was it like that when you first took over the car? 

My swift sport last time avg 10 to 11. On a good month can reach 14. Around 400 to 450 on a 35 litre tank. But mine was on ron98.

Maybe u put too much stuffs in your car. lol. You should consider bringing to a workshop like project S to take a look. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
54 minutes ago, Beanoyip said:

My friend's harrier turbo, only getting 6km/l, not sure how the F he drive...

You sure not prado or land cruiser?

• Haha! 4

Better send the car for a check in a workshop. 1.5L swift should not have that kind of fuel consumption 

My 1.6 Swift sport hovering at 11-12km/L 2009 car. 1.5 should be better than 1.6 tio bo

• Praise 1

replace spark plug.

check or replace plug coil 

check engine oil spec?? dun use those racing engine oil ( like liqui moly 5w60 racing, ) normal 5w30 or 40 is enough.

check tyre pressure (15' rim? or upgrade 17??)

do a obd scan see any fault code like o2 sensor.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
59 minutes ago, Beanoyip said:

Maybe he holds gear until 5k rpm then upshift.

Turbocharged
25 minutes ago, Vid said:

Get it checked at workshop. Definitely something wrong. Or your calculation wrong? 😂😂

Her calculator got glitches.😂

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged

my friend had a mini one using b38 1.5l turbo... he gets 5.5km/l, mainly city driving. but send to any workshop also cannot find any prob

• Haha! 2

Internal Moderator
9 hours ago, Ceecookie said:

Try doing 100km on pure expressway and with cruise control.. if cannot even get 10km/l, something is wrong with the engine. May need to do overhaul or walnut blasting to clear carbon.

No cruise control. Old car hahaha. The only cruise control is my foot. Need the NSHW to clear some carbon.

9 hours ago, PSP415 said:

Put an 🥚 under gas pedal? 😅

Most times it depends on the type of driving or hard driving. Other tips may be :

1. Dun be first off the start line every time. 

2. Keep to optimum cruise speed and keep light food I mean foot on pedal

3. Avoid stop start zoomz stop start zoomz within kind of driving. 

4. Plan journey ahead. Dun get stuck in jams and butter. And making many u-turns cos got lost. 

5. Check tire health and air pressure. 

6. Check health of fuel tank. Usually change at 100-120km mileage. 

These are my suggestions. Wait for better ones. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

Great advice actually! Unfortunately because of Heightened Alert and also where I stay and work at, I am mainly stuck at start stop traffic. Never thought of changing the fuel tank before. Maybe I can do a check on that but there's only three years left on the clock so I may not change it after all. We shall see!

9 hours ago, Tianmo said:

@BabyBlade 

7.5km/l on a 1.5L car is really abnormal, and I dont suppose anything done can bring it to at least 10km/l. 

what was your avg consumption before this 7.5km/l? If it is a slow drop, check your fuel tank. 

I had once gotten a leakage on my fuel tank, and my FC kept increasing slowly until it was totally unacceptable.

Find a slope, park and off engine, with a torchlight, check if there is any liquid dripping, petrol smell is quite strong also.  

Make sure off engine when you check, for your own safety....^_^[laugh][laugh]

I only got the car for, I think this is the third week. So between my first tank to second tank it took me about two weeks interval because being a law abiding citizen I try my best to stay home as much as possible. And when I first took over on the FC counter it was about 10+km/l. After I took over it plunged to as low as 7km/l after a few days of driving around. Note that at this point I observed the bad FC and went to check on tyre pressure and it was quite low at 170/180 so I pumped it.

I have to admit that I was heavy footed at the start off the line and did hard braking, only because being a 1.5 there's an obvious lack of power from what I was accustomed to. So I changed my driving style but I still ended at 7.5km/l for my first tank.

Second tank as I already mentioned in my top post, I also reset the fc counter and was doing slightly better at 8.2km/l till I went to my workshop to check the car's overall condition, flush my coolant and got some oil leaks fixed. It then dipped at 7.7km/l again cos you know they had to keep the engine running. 

9 hours ago, Macrosszero said:

Offhand I cannot think of any 1.5 litre that functions remotely close to 7.5km/litre so its unlikely to be driving habits. I mean, I used to have a 1.5 litre and drove it aggressively everywhere and never got less than 11km/litre.

You should get your O2 sensors checked out, if your car doesn't already have a CEL light on. Its probably running very rich which will eventually damage your catalytic converter if you still have it installed. 

No I don't have the CEL light flashing. What are symptoms of a bad 02 censor? The engine runs pretty smooth with minimal noise, no rough idling too. There is of course slight vibration but I think that's expected since it's an old car but nothing out of the ordinary. 

8 hours ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

What is your car?

Suzuki Swift 1.5 Auto

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator

Thanks for all the suggestions and for having the patience to help. I know it's quite annoying to see someone ask about fc because there's the 'can buy car cannot afford to pay for fuel' mindset going on. I don't have unrealistic expectation of my fc, just wondering if I can get it to maybe hover around 10.

Will slowly reply everyone later as my colleagues are on leave today and there's a shit ton of work to be done. [bigcry]

• Praise 4

Internal Moderator

Koba's tip on fuel economy.

stage 1

• 5w30 or even lesser weight engine oil.
    • The lesser the weight, the lesser resistance to the engine performance. But the only this is that it will provide lesser engine protection.
    • My go-to liquid gold is Motul 8100 or FK Massimo.
  • Do an engine flush before servicing.
  • A high flow air filter like K&N.
    • Engine consists of suck-squeeze-bang-blow. You make it easier to suck, it is easier to blow. 😛
    • But make sure your right leg maintain the same posture and weight distribution. Heavier legs cause a different result.
  • Spark plugs
    • Need to get all 4 (suck-squeeze-bang-blow) in optimum condition. this is the bang part.
  • Learn to maintain your RPM. Treat your car like a game, if your goal is fuel economy, maintain your RPM at 2,000rpm most of the time when you are driving.
  • Switch off air-con
  • Pump 92 instead of 95. You will be spending the same amount of money to travel further.

Stage 2

• install a throttle controller. Always keep it in eco mode.
  • Go and get your fuel injector clean.
  • Install an oil catch tank.
    • Because there is no oil catch tank, making all the oil vapor seep back to the intake valve and clog the intake valve.

Stage 3

• Drop engine and rebuilt.

• Praise 4
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
6 hours ago, Mits_jc said:

use lower wt. engine oil (e.g. 0W30)
fuel system cleaner containing PEA (e.g. Techron or Redline SL-1)
spark plugs (if they have not been changed for a while, might be fouled/due for change)

the above are some of the usual suspects, feel free to add on

Spark plugs - one of the suspects on my list too. I am waiting for my next oil change so I can get the plugs changed together. I am on my first bottle of techron, and changed to pumping Caltex because of the bad fc hoping it will make some difference but unlikely. But you know, no harm trying around. Was an Esso user for eight years.

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator
18 minutes ago, Vegas said:

my friend had a mini one using b38 1.5l turbo... he gets 5.5km/l, mainly city driving. but send to any workshop also cannot find any prob

You sure he is not on BMW straight 6 engine on the mini? hahaha. double the cylinders, double the fuel! 🤣

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

err...don't drive like a ducati swift 1.5 auto?

other than that, unless you are willing to potentially spend a lot of time and money in the workshop to find the root cause which may or may not be found, just drive on until next change to a supercar lah.....since you would be used to that kind of fc by then

i remember many years back i bought a second hand nissan march.  no matter how it is driven, it will only return 9-10 km/l. for a 1.0l auto that was pretty bad.  i sold it after 2 years owning it.

😅

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
10 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

7.5km/l on my last tank yikes! I can do bad fc but this is super duper bad on a tiny 1.5L car. Was on Esso 95 previously on the 7.5km/l, just pumped Caltex 95 + Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner and monitoring but so far no improvements.

Any suggestions to achieve better fuel consumption so that I can at least make it to KL in one tank? Deciding to stop at Ayer Keroh R&R for A&W should be by choice, not by force. 😆 

Please help me get from very bad fc to okok fc hahaha. 🥴

71swpbsQ5cL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I feel so happy that I m doing the same, hard driving my previous e60. :D

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Beanoyip said:

My superb even city drive only can get at least 8.5km/l 

If with highway combined normally ard 10-11km/l

6km/l is same fc with my prev prev 3.0L inline 6 car lol

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2