Very bad fuel consumption 🥴

BabyBlade

Hypersonic

TS needs to focus on the important thing.

Health not money.

So her car has a drinking problem no big deal. Can be solved by money.

The gastric problem is the more important one.

That one should get it checked out before taking car to workshop.

If she is lucky like me then one soda water before a meal and one can after will help a lot.

:D

Maybe need something stronger like a tonic water or a ginger ale or the hard stuff a sprite or even a 7up.

Then need to watch the sugar level.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2

Hypersonic
31 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

.....and kids, that's how I eventually met my MIL

Yeah condom broke.

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

You sure he is not on BMW straight 6 engine on the mini? hahaha. double the cylinders, double the fuel! 🤣

Cfm mini one lor... so he very garang, trade in a b38 for a b38 mounted on a bmw 😂

• Haha! 1

12 hours ago, Macrosszero said:

Offhand I cannot think of any 1.5 litre that functions remotely close to 7.5km/litre so its unlikely to be driving habits. I mean, I used to have a 1.5 litre and drove it aggressively everywhere and never got less than 11km/litre.

You should get your O2 sensors checked out, if your car doesn't already have a CEL light on. Its probably running very rich which will eventually damage your catalytic converter if you still have it installed. 

Chevrolet cruze

1 hour ago, Jamesc said:

I am glad TS says she accelerate hard at traffic lights.

I cannot stand those kuniangs that slowly slowly move off

like very scared get bad fc like that.

And these are male kuniangs, not even the nice female kuniangs I like.

you drive simi car? I better not go anywhere near you 😂

• Haha! 4

Internal Moderator
9 hours ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Better fc is

-not to idle in carpark long

-go expressway more, let go accelerator when downslope. Use less brake and try not tailgate. Stay lane 2 best. Constant gas pedal is good

-use waze avoid jam

Never idle leh. Warm up a bit move off already. COVID ah now so I only drive to office about three times a week and traffic packed at that timing if you know where our office is. From my house to office only one expressway exit hahaha. I also don't go out over the weekend since Phase 2 HA started.

4 hours ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

A Suzuki Swift fuel consumption can't be this figure generally...

If it is engine related then better let car workshops check it out.

Other factors may be under-inflated tyres, excessive idling while waiting for people etc.

TS mentioned this figure is for her last tank. Might the it's a one-off thing though.

I think like what @Tianmo mentioned I've been driving too little too little time to really put an average to the FC I'm getting. Besides driving to work, I've also been visiting workshops only for all the nitty gritty stuff, which are stone throws away from where I live.

3 hours ago, Vid said:

Get it checked at workshop. Definitely something wrong. Or your calculation wrong? 😂😂

I use the fc counter for reference but I also did a manual calculation. Both are pretty much same. Later I'll upload the screenshots I took.

3 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

Something is wrong. Was it like that when you first took over the car? 

My swift sport last time avg 10 to 11. On a good month can reach 14. Around 400 to 450 on a 35 litre tank. But mine was on ron98.

Maybe u put too much stuffs in your car. lol. You should consider bringing to a workshop like project S to take a look. 

It was about a little over 10 when I took over. Hahaha. I knew this was gonna come up. I don't have much things inside la. I don't ferry any passengers also. 99.9% of the time I'm alone.

3 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

1331579651_WhatsAppImage2021-05-28at8_53_27AM.thumb.jpeg.f3e9f68ae7b2d159a2b8f81fc115dcff.jpeg

My lau pok chia can get 9.8km/l on average. 😁

The font and icon looks awfully familiar. Is this sgCarMart app? Lmao.

• Praise 2

4 hours ago, Beanoyip said:

My friend's harrier turbo, only getting 6km/l, not sure how the F he drive...

Probably drive 500m to pack breakfast, lunch then dinner..... 

Then 1km for supper? 

He stay at Mt Faber? 😅😅

Need to climb slope each time 

• Haha! 3

1 hour ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

I read that sometimes vehicles have to be driven hard so that the fuel flow can dislodge or flush away some carbon build-up.
And also whether new or old cars, sometimes have to drive hard so that engines won't be too tight at the higher end.

this is for diesel engine only. and only for manual mode.

drive hard mean u rev the engine rpm higher before u up gear. it will keep the system clean, less problem when u go inspection.

petrol engine have very very little or no carbon to blow away at all. 

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
3 hours ago, Goldenvodka said:

Better send the car for a check in a workshop. 1.5L swift should not have that kind of fuel consumption 

My 1.6 Swift sport hovering at 11-12km/L 2009 car. 1.5 should be better than 1.6 tio bo

Tio. Mine is also a 2009 model. Should have gotten the Swift Sport Manual instead! Damn. Haha but I opted for the Swift at a cheaper cost cos budget la you know haha.

3 hours ago, Beregond said:

replace spark plug.

check or replace plug coil 

check engine oil spec?? dun use those racing engine oil ( like liqui moly 5w60 racing, ) normal 5w30 or 40 is enough.

check tyre pressure (15' rim? or upgrade 17??)

do a obd scan see any fault code like o2 sensor.

I'll check during my next oil change and also the 02 Sensor since a few others brought this up! 15" tyre pressure was low on my first tank.

3 hours ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

Her calculator got glitches.😂

I wish!

3 hours ago, Enye said:

err...don't drive like a ducati swift 1.5 auto?

other than that, unless you are willing to potentially spend a lot of time and money in the workshop to find the root cause which may or may not be found, just drive on until next change to a supercar lah.....since you would be used to that kind of fc by then

i remember many years back i bought a second hand nissan march.  no matter how it is driven, it will only return 9-10 km/l. for a 1.0l auto that was pretty bad.  i sold it after 2 years owning it.

😅

I had pretty good fc for my Ducati btw. My Kawasaki was the blood sucker one. But I didn't bother much because I got the ECU remapped. This on the otherhand is supposedly a relax car hahaha. But I'll have to agree with you on your point. There's no need to fret too much over the fc since there's only three years left anw.

2 hours ago, Yeshe said:

I feel so happy that I m doing the same, hard driving my previous e60. :D

I'm glad I made your day lmao.

2 hours ago, Macrosszero said:

Another obvious but overlooked thing - if you have only been making short trips these few weeks (e.g. grocery or food runs) you will have very bad fuel consumption because during cold starts, the car ECU map runs rich to get it up to operating temperatures as quickly as possible. 

Idling is another killer of fuel economy - if you're not moving you're effectively doing zero kilometres per litre.

Yes my trips have all been short ones! About 8 to 10 km one way with start stop traffic.

2 hours ago, Phluvcat said:

I always pump caltex 95 and I like self service, press max $120 until autostop. 

Until recently the petrol price so high tank not yet full already hit $120 and autostop, and I thought my last 2 tanks the fc so tokong... sucks 😂

But I think I still hit close to 12km/l for a 14 y o NA jap car 😬 not bad. 

Just switched to Caltex 95 too and I really like the Caltex Go app! So convenient to just select your pump from inside the car, fuel up and then pay using the app again. Not sure if other providers have the same but I don't think there's one for Esso. Also got 23% off for my first pump. And just signed up for Standard Chartered Unlimited + Plus! Card. Seems like I'm gonna stick to Caltex for awhile.

Internal Moderator

Wah so many messages! I'll take awhile to read and reply. @Jamesc I wanted to award you the BabyBlade Seal of Approval for one of your post then you went on to make a 100 other posts. Don't be so longwinded leh! 😆

• Haha! 1

There is only this much thing to check  for a b&b car. Other then that will cost a bomb which is not worth it anymore.

some ws do flush for engine. Can try  1 time for a 10 years old car also. It indeed help if very old car never do before 

not those flush that put into engine oil.

But a machine that plug into the system and they pour chemical in to burn/flush away all the carbon build up in to super hard to access area like inside the manifold.

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

Great advice actually! Unfortunately because of Heightened Alert and also where I stay and work at, I am mainly stuck at start stop traffic. 

Have you checked with other colleagues (apart from Koba) what's their average FC?

Also, where do you live and where do you park? No need to be precise, but which area? If it's nearby your office, and you're not going out to chiong much now during HA, then if it's short distance full of traffic lights, then you will find your reason there.

I once owned a 1.0L manual car, and it gave me at best 8.5 km/L on average. Sometimes it can go down i'm sure, but it was analog meter so didn't have the av FC display, and i had to manually calculate.

The reason: my mileage everyday was about maybe 10-12 km niah. Basically bought it to fetch my kids to childcare en-route to work. home to childcare was about 3.5 km, then another 3 km to office. didn't need to fetch them home, and office to home was ~4 km... During the journey, there would be like one traffic light every 300 m, except for trip home, which was maybe one every 600 m averaged out. then again, that (slight advantage) was more than offset by the massive jam along that 4 km during peak hours... 😓

I remember one neighbour asked me my small car FC sure v good hor? i was like dunno what to say...

If i drive on highways during weekends, i'm sure it would have brought the average FC up significantly, but we hardly used it during the weekend.

oh, i asked where do you park, cos your office carpark is FC killer lah, need to go up the ramp so high... sure need to step like crazy. And it's not like it can be compensated by going down... 😅

If you also park at MSCP at home, and is higher levels, then this doubles your FC issue. 

In summary, if you only:
- drive short distance (cos house nearby)
- lots of traffic lights
- heavy traffic (though not v likely now)
- park at MSCP higher levels

then i think even hybrid cars also will have bad FC... 😂

If it's really like this, then the solution is to:
move to a landed place that's v near highway and far from ubi, and park downstairs at your workplace instead of going up the MSCP. Or alternatively, find another job that's far from home and is near highway. [lipsrsealed]

If case you are still not convinced, now i drive a 2.0L Tucson, and pre-covid, my av FC was around 8.9 km/L, when i took city-route to send kids to school (which is now about 13 km away), then city-route to office (~8 km). Then during covid/WFH, i had already switched to a longer route using KPE/ECP, and the return trip would be about 34 km. And my av FC (having hovered around 8-9 km/L for 2+ yr), had climbed to 10.7 km/L...

Most of the FC for these school run trips, would be around 14-15 km/L - cos mostly highway...

So hor... the issue might not lie in the car, or your driving style... unfortunately...
I've learnt to live with it.

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

Twincharged
22 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

Tio. Mine is also a 2009 model. Should have gotten the Swift Sport Manual instead! Damn. Haha but I opted for the Swift at a cheaper cost cos budget la you know haha.

I'll check during my next oil change and also the 02 Sensor since a few others brought this up! 15" tyre pressure was low on my first tank.

I wish!

I had pretty good fc for my Ducati btw. My Kawasaki was the blood sucker one. But I didn't bother much because I got the ECU remapped. This on the otherhand is supposedly a relax car hahaha. But I'll have to agree with you on your point. There's no need to fret too much over the fc since there's only three years left anw.

I'm glad I made your day lmao.

Yes my trips have all been short ones! About 8 to 10 km one way with start stop traffic.

Just switched to Caltex 95 too and I really like the Caltex Go app! So convenient to just select your pump from inside the car, fuel up and then pay using the app again. Not sure if other providers have the same but I don't think there's one for Esso. Also got 23% off for my first pump. And just signed up for Standard Chartered Unlimited + Plus! Card. Seems like I'm gonna stick to Caltex for awhile.

the swift fuel economy gauge is relatively accurate. if you can cruise at 80km/h and get approx 18-20km/l or more then it should be fine.

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
11 minutes ago, Beregond said:

There is only this much thing to check  for a b&b car. Other then that will cost a bomb which is not worth it anymore.

some ws do flush for engine. Can try  1 time for a 10 years old car also. It indeed help if very old car never do before 

not those flush that put into engine oil.

But a machine that plug into the system and they pour chemical in to burn/flush away all the carbon build up in to super hard to access area like inside the manifold.

wah got such thing? 

last time ws recommend all kinds of things to do.. think about it.. the savings for fuel also not going to cover back the amount paid to ws for that.

so the selling motive is more hp. aiyah.. can drive and dont break down is enough liao.

• Praise 2

1. don't waste fuel warming up the engine. The engine gets warmed up when you drive the car. Just don't rev it before it's warm. 

2.  8 to 10 km start stop trip no wonder fuel economy so bad. Probably because of this reason. 

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator
3 hours ago, Confusedboi said:

Check if engine oil is too thick or overfilled. Perhaps can try changing to thinner engine oil, change spark plugs to new original ones, change air filter, check tyre pressure, like others have mentioned check 02 sensor as well. Techron cleaner can try one more time to see if got some improvements.

Yes yes ticked! Techron about every 5,000km once right?

3 hours ago, Tianmo said:

ahhh............Ok this may explain it.

petrol evaporate....

2 weeks is a long time to be accurate for FC checking. In fact the longer you take to use up a tank of fuel, the higher the FC, because of evaporation. The car's ECU may also be trying to adjust to the new style of driving, having seated a while with the dealer.  If you had changed the engine oil when you took over the car, FC will also be slightly higher. Take note that new engine oil will cause a slightly higher FC for the first 1-2 weeks as well. And of course other things like tyre pressure, spark plugs, throttle body carbon build up, the route you travel and how often and how long  you idle the engine will affect FC too.. 

If a fuel tank leakage is out of equation,  then I think you are quite safe. Mayb monitor  a few more tanks and see if it gets better,  2 tanks of fuel is too soon too early to estimate avg FC.

And about the fuel tank, dont be stupid to even think of changing it if nothing is wrong. The fuel tank is suppose to last you forever until if it happen to leak, and most of the time it last until car scrap.  Fuel tanks are low in inventory, some stockist dont even carry it in stock, and it cost a few thousand dollars to replace a fuel tank. So leave it alone if it is not leaking. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Yeah I think I can probably rule out a leak because I just got the car checked. Definitely too early now that you mention it. And technically I'm only about a quarter past my second tank haha.

3 hours ago, Tohto said:

Even my heavy Forester XT I am averaging 9.6km/l for the past 145k km.

Your 7.5km/l is definitely not OK. 

Did you idle your car at ECP car park every night :XD:

People should be able to afford their own rooms lol.

3 hours ago, Soya said:

Your swift stock or modded? Could also be the engine is running a little rich. Bad O2 sensor will result in incorrect fuel/air mixture

Btw, hv u done an ATF flush & renew? Transmission losses are often overlooked

ATF flush not yet! Bone stock from what I know.

2 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Then most likely is your tire pressure that is too low.

Pump air when the tires are cold. Otherwise the pressure will drop over the night after the tires cool. Then you will repeat the cycle of driving over deflated tires and fuel consumption will stay high.

A tire air pump will be a good thing to get. Leave home a little early to pump up your tires at the carpark.

Yes sir. I usually pump it in the morning right before work or before heading out at least.

2 hours ago, SGCMmadman said:

Jus reset... correct info might appear

Reset many times. The figure is as accurate as can be because I calculated it myself too.

2 hours ago, Jamesc said:

Don't accelerate hard and don't brake hard and only do highway miles.

A 1.5 is a relatively big engine for a Swift which is a very light car should get very good fc.

For good fc never brake when you don't have to and especially never brake hard.

I never like braking on a highway, just learn to use the accelerator to accelerate to close the gap to the next car and when he is blocked by road hogs take off your foot before he does.

Last point if all start stop traffic and you love accelerate and braking hard (who doesn't) heck car fc lah.

YOLO. You spent so much on the car, enjoy it to the max.

Its the COE that is killing you not the little bit of extra petrol you use. 

This deserves the BB seal of approval but only this! The rest too lor soh!

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2