Bedok Esso faulty pump

Sissypoo

BEDOK-ESSO-PUMP.jpg.5d25e7102e99ee57db3c29f7bcd1c7be.jpg

Today I went to Esso Station at Bedok North Rd and got the worst experience of my life! Those staying around that area and uses that kiosk please be more cautious!!!

I parked my car at Pump 8 for refueling. The attendants were at Pumps 2-4 area. Seeing that they are busy, I helped myself. As usual, I set the auto pump function and waited on the other side of my car cause my mobile phone is in my pocket.

After a while, I noticed the amount of petrol pumped was beyond 50L. I felt very strange as my Jetta had about 2 lines of petrol left above the red zone and I hardly exceeds 50L. At this moment, a Chinese guy who was using Pump 7 shouted “overflowed” and pointed to my car. I got a shock and quickly went over to take a look. Indeed, petrol was overflowing from my petrol tank and the pump injector was still pumping. I quickly stopped the injector. Petrol has overflowed out of my tank, into the fuel well (I hope I got this name right), onto my car body, rim, tyres and a puddle of petrol can be seen on the floor.

Definitely a first in my life!!

The guy who spotted the problem said he is a regular here and in this kiosk, pumps 7 & 8 seems to have this issue. He then went inside and help me called for the kiosk manager. I stowed the pump injector and waited beside my car.

A lady came out and informed the pump attendants of the problem. Then she said she is busy and ask them to settle. Nobody showed any sense of urgency and I believed that this is not the first time. Seeing that they are attending to it, I went inside to check with the her. The moment she saw me, she said I can only give you a discount of $5. I was fuming.... this was her first thought? Then one of the pump attendant came in, he said the leak was about 2.2L, not that much. I was shocked. Using his naked eyes he could measure the spillage! Amazing!! Since we were talking about the price, I said, I have hardly pumped beyond 50L of petrol. And today was more than 53L (Other Jetta owners should know). The attendant then said, cannot be more than 5L of spillage, else the petrol will flow into the drainage. So about 2.2L was the amount spilled. I was speechless.

I decided not to argue with them. Who the hell can really determine how much of spillage there was. I told them never mind and just pay whatever they said. Upon paying, it’s like nobody’s business. My fuel filler flap was closed by the attendant. I opened it and poured water to clear the residue petrol. He keep telling me to stop. They are just waiting for me to drive off. This made me even more angry. My rims and tyres was drenched in petrol and nobody cared about my safety. Luckily this petrol kiosk had its own car wash. Immediately I drove in to wash my car.

In one of the photo I took, you can see their spillage kit was actually just rags....

The other photo, was a tag to inform other this pump is faulty.

I am very disappointed by Esso’s spillage and safety protocol. This is a recurring problem and nobody did anything to it. Further to that, this is how they actually treat their customers. I guessed they probably earned too much and don’t need my business. So unlucky of me.

#essosingapore

#disappointment

if u want to pump yourself make sure ur eyes are on it. never trust the auto pump feature to disconnect. own self car own self take care

posted on complaint singapore facebook

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

2 hours ago, Hamburger said:

Whining over? 

Move on.... 

Not really whining. To share his bad experience it you think that he is whining

• Praise 2

Supersonic
4 hours ago, Sissypoo said:

BEDOK-ESSO-PUMP.jpg.5d25e7102e99ee57db3c29f7bcd1c7be.jpg

if u want to pump yourself make sure ur eyes are on it. never trust the auto pump feature to disconnect. own self car own self take care

posted on complaint singapore facebook

Agreed, never trust the auto pump. I think also cannot trust the pump attendant, best is to pump yourself with your eyes on the pump. 😅

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
50 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Agreed, never trust the auto pump. I think also cannot trust the pump attendant, best is to pump yourself with your eyes on the pump. 😅

Petrol station trying to scam your money.

May have tampered with the auto stop setting to entrap non attentive customers.

Overflow by $30 and give discount $5.:/

• Haha! 1

Supercharged

Quite common lah. I kena couple times. No need to kpkb. I will tell the station roughly how much ltr I expected to pump and they usually will just charge me that.

But I will ignore them and use their water flask to wash off the petrol off the affected car areas. They usually say don't do that as become slipping hazard.

Go home quickly do thorough wash of affected areas with shampoo.

• Praise 1

My learning this week:

Got KKJ = must think twice thrice and many times before start thread. Most probably get flamed whether just sharing or reposting.

No KKJ = Can start any thread and will get 10+ pages of white knight help in 24hrs with replies that basically repeat the previous posts.

• Haha! 6

Internal Moderator
35 minutes ago, Calinlin said:

My learning this week:

Got KKJ = must think twice thrice and many times before start thread. Most probably get flamed whether just sharing or reposting.

No KKJ = Can start any thread and will get 10+ pages of white knight help in 24hrs with replies that basically repeat the previous posts.

If you noticed, it's always the same few users who are doing the "flaming" in almost all the newly started threads. That may just set the overall tone of the entire thread if it doesn't pick up after that. What I suggest is simply to ignore such posters. 

• Praise 4

Supersonic

I have encountered this myself. I forgot which station but some where along Woodlands Road. I was beside the pump when it overflew. I did not kpkb at the staff. Rinse with some water and drive off. 

From the picture, the amount overflown was not that much. The staff was willing to give him $5 discount, which is equivalent to >2 litres of petrol, should be good enough. Forum can't solve his problem. Feedback can be done on fb too. 

• Praise 3

Twincharged

I have pumped myself all these years and never encountered. Largely Esso in the early days and now almost exclusively SPC. Tried diesel, 92, 95,98 too. Have noticed that spc seems to have better maintained nozzles. Or at least the last few years they have upgraded to the newer vapor recovery ones which they tout as more environmentally friendly. 

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

What a racist.

Why must say "Chinese" guy?

Why cannot just say a guy?

:grin:

At this moment, a Chinese guy who was using Pump 7 shouted “overflowed” and pointed to my car. 

• Haha! 7

(edited)
1 hour ago, Fitvip said:

I have encountered this myself. I forgot which station but some where along Woodlands Road. I was beside the pump when it overflew. I did not kpkb at the staff. Rinse with some water and drive off. 

From the picture, the amount overflown was not that much. The staff was willing to give him $5 discount, which is equivalent to >2 litres of petrol, should be good enough. Forum can't solve his problem. Feedback can be done on fb too. 

Wall of words and at the end of the day, it might be  that $5 that broke the camel' s back. 

I would be like you and just brush off the whole incident. Or maybe a one liner to warn others off on social media. 

Edited by Hamburger
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Kopites said:

Imo a good post highlighting the hazardous danger at the service station.

Yep, there is almost always take away from all these posts. 

Reminds me to be vigilant and dun take things for granted, dun fool around at a petrol station. 

👍🏼

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2