COVID-19: Vaccinating your kids

noobcarbuyer

Message added by BabyBlade

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid-19-vaccination-students-school-moe-14919972

"SINGAPORE: More than 400,000 students aged 12 and above will be invited to register for the COVID-19 vaccine from Jun 1, announced Minister of Education Chan Chun Sing on Monday (May 31). 

This comes after the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine was approved by the Health Sciences Authority for those aged 12 to 15 earlier this month."

Twincharged

Not so straightforward. 12-15 covers the Secondary schools. 

Still have children aged 11 and below awaiting authorisation. They may take up to next year to vaccinate this group.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Lets say can travel already and the adults all vaccinated, if kids not vaccinated and cannot travel how?

Honeymoon ah? heeheehee

• Haha! 6

Hypersonic
25 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

If @Lala81 vaccinates his kids, I will vaccinate mine too. I will hear what he order from the menu first.

Haha. I am generally pro vaccine definitely but for teens upwards. 

My kids are Pri and k2.

At this juncture, I'm not totally convinced they actually need a vaccination to reduce actual harm to themselves (reducing severe disease), rather than reducing community or household transmission. 

For them, I may wait until more children are vaccinated in the west and safety is more clear. And I also need to do more reading about the illness in kids. We will know more by q4 2021 to q1 2022. 

• Praise 12

Hypersonic
(edited)
8 hours ago, Tianmo said:

I asked my children age 16 to 22 if they want to jab when offer to them. 

Their answer is yes.  They think that it is a world wide thing,  and everyone is going into the unknown together,  so they are not alone. If there is going to be a long term problem, everyone injected will have the same problem,  no body will actually lose out. But if hit by covid,  will have to live with the problem the rest of their live. 

My son added that when more than half the world is injected,  any problem coming out of it becomes a world problem,  and the world will develop another set of solution for it. 

To me,  either way there will be risk, do I worry about the unknown future, or worry about the current problem?  

My job as a parent is to protect my children as long as I am alive,  and to keep them safe under my care.  

Since many parents here are going to opt out or not going to allow vaccine for their children,  I hope this will free up more vaccine for those children who are willing to take the jab. 

I really hope I can have my children vaccinated asap, can be first batch best....  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

My elder daughter at 21 had already done her 2 dose in Feb.

Her sister at 19 this year also hope can have her done soon. 

I support them and also fully agreed your thought.

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 11

Supersonic
9 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Very simple, ask the parents to sign off a opt out form, condition is if  the student and parents get infected , no medical subsidy  will be granted to that family. 😀😀

No use. If that happens, sure cry farder cry marder say gahmen unfair to them lah, say dunno got such rules lah, ask got badge or not lah....

• Haha! 3

10 hours ago, Kyrios said:

Yeah true..but last year even without the vaccines werent they already called back to school? 

My point is if they are so cocksure that the virus isnt affecting the younger tots more than adults yiu can jolly well follow the stance last year as i mentioned above. Why the change in stance is my question.

It’s your right to use your voice to question the government but isn’t it obvious to you that the virus and it’s variants are evolving in its transmissibility that previously “safe” spaces were no longer so without the benefit of vaccination?

• Praise 5

(edited)
9 hours ago, Ender said:

Any non vaccinated person will have the risk to spread like you mentioned. If you vaccinated the students,  that would leave the under 40s adult not vaccinated and they will have the risk profile you just described.

Children has the longer life ahead of them, so i am concern to have a whole generation subjected to unknown long term risk if their covid 19 risk proflle is not severe.  If the covid 19 death rate is high among children, then I would readily agree.

i am totally torn about this decision ... vaccine or not to vaccine

what about the children's children effect/risk ...

not just one generation [bigcry] 

Edited by Wt_know

Hypersonic
22 minutes ago, Tohto said:

My elder daughter at 21 had already done her 2 dose in Feb.

Her sister at 19 this year also hope can have her done soon. 

I support them and also fully agreed your thought.

[thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup]

The old couple at home are both vaccinated,  so when we move ard outside with mask on, or go to work,  we feel quite OK.  But the younger ones are not, and we get worry whenever they have to leave home, be it going to school,  tabao food or taking pass time work.  

I have been sending and fetching them for quite a while,  and whenever I cannot make it,  I would feel bad and worrying.  Always feeling they are not as protected as we are and yet not much we can do about it. 

At least vaccination can provide that extra layer of safety net,  not foolproof but better then no protection at all. 

If there is any major side effect 10-20 years down the road, along the way someone would have fix it,  or try to fix it...  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 8
  • Haha! 1

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

If there is any major side effect 10-20 years down the road, along the way someone would have fix it,  or try to fix it...  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

yes ... we need a "pure blood" to revert the change .... [sly]  [sweatdrop]  
the usual hollywood blockbuster plot ... [laugh] 

Edited by Wt_know
  • Haha! 4

Hypersonic
2 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

yes ... we need a "pure blood" to revert the change .... [sly]  [sweatdrop]  
the usual hollywood blockbuster plot ... [laugh] 

We have a blood bank you know?  And nobody really know what kind of blood we actually have.  

Who knows, we might have already frozen some "pure blood"  for future lab use...  [:p][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

The old couple at home are both vaccinated,  so when we move ard outside with mask on, or go to work,  we feel quite OK.  But the younger ones are not, and we get worry whenever they have to leave home, be it going to school,  tabao food or taking pass time work.  

I have been sending and fetching them for quite a while,  and whenever I cannot make it,  I would feel bad and worrying.  Always feeling they are not as protected as we are and yet not much we can do about it. 

At least vaccination can provide that extra layer of safety net,  not foolproof but better then no protection at all. 

I see...but Yours are not exactly "kids" lah..can wield a rifle liao and go battle innoculation course liao..different from the younglings im referring to 😆

Edited by Kyrios

Turbocharged
10 hours ago, Kyrios said:

Yeah true..but last year even without the vaccines werent they already called back to school? 

My point is if they are so cocksure that the virus isnt affecting the younger tots more than adults yiu can jolly well follow the stance last year as i mentioned above. Why the change in stance is my question.

Is more to placate the parents. They were calling out for online learning and are understandably not keen to let their kids return to school for normal lessons. So govt also LL must show that something is done. Effective or not i wouldn't be so sure. Vaccine is just an assurance at best, as we can see it still does not prevent adults (teachers) from being infected.

• Praise 3

Hypersonic
(edited)
27 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

Same loh.. In my house only the younger at 19 not yet vaccinated.  Even my helper had completed 2 dose.

My parents both above 80s not staying together had completed theirs in Mar. They stay in AMK,  so they are the first to get vaccinated. 

Now as you said the younger one at 19 is the on that let us felt less secure. I always ask try to avoid too crowded place.

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 5

Turbocharged

I am from that generation where my parents sent us to get chickenpox when they found out some schoolmate had it. One of my older brother friends actually got quite severe case because of that (didn't hospitalize but much worse than all of us).

I am wondering if children can safely expose to the coronavirus this way... yes 1 in a million may die tragically but better than expose a million to potential side effect?

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

By the way what happened to our sinovac batch that arrived feb? 

If they want to vac the kids they should at least give this option of traditional proven technology dead- virus vaccine. I know at the end some parents will opt out of giving mRNA vac to their kids. Especially if the kid has allergies.

• Praise 4

Turbocharged

12 Singapore doctors willing to put their career on the line to voice out against mRNA vaccine for children -  this puts a lot of weight.  And I believe many other doctors will just diam diam keep their opinions to themselves. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4