COVID-19: Vaccinating your kids

noobcarbuyer

Message added by BabyBlade

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid-19-vaccination-students-school-moe-14919972

"SINGAPORE: More than 400,000 students aged 12 and above will be invited to register for the COVID-19 vaccine from Jun 1, announced Minister of Education Chan Chun Sing on Monday (May 31). 

This comes after the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine was approved by the Health Sciences Authority for those aged 12 to 15 earlier this month."

93 doctors sign letter urging government to hold off on vaccinating children

A group of 93 doctors have signed on to a letter urging the government to hold off on vaccinating children below the age of 16 until more is learned about the coronavirus and the inoculation’s impact.

The letter comes against the backdrop of Pfizer’s request for emergency approval from the FDA to allow for the vaccination of 12- to 15-year-olds.

In their letter, the doctors call for the continued vaccination of vulnerable populations and claim that it is still possible to fully reopen the economy even without vaccinating children who are less likely to become ill from the virus.

“There must be a recognition that we do not understand everything about the virus, the vaccine against it and that the first commandment of medicine is first do no harm,” the doctors say.

Among the letter’s signatories are Dr. Amir Shachar, emergency room director at Netanya’s Laniado Hospital, Dr. Yoav Yehezkeli, an expert in internal medicine and a lecturer at Tel Aviv University, and Dr. Avi Mizrahi, intensive care unit director at Rehovot’s Kaplan Medical Center.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/93-doctors-sign-letter-urging-goverment-to-hold-off-on-vaccinating-children/

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Hypersonic
3 hours ago, inlinesix said:

To my understanding, in worst scenerio, Child infected with COVID19 will develop Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome.

COVID19 will cause lung scarring even in mild cases.  How bad would the scarring be?  How much of the lung function has been damaged?

I don't have an answer to that 2 question.

Unknown. 

Highly dependent on each individual. Would require a proper study, otherwise no parent is willing to keep exposing kids to repeated Ct scans or minimally chest xrays. 

What are neuropsychiatric issues post Covid in children? Do boys have fertility affected? 

Certainly in adults, for some individuals, it can affect male fertility (cos of testicular inflammation), affect their mood, memory. Long covid also can affect your fatigue energy levels etc. And these are people not necessarily even hospitalised. Reddit has many accounts of westerners who had covid and what their experiences were. 

There is long covid in children as well. But less documented cases. 

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged
(edited)
3 hours ago, inlinesix said:

To my understanding, in worst scenerio, Child infected with COVID19 will develop Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome.

COVID19 will cause lung scarring even in mild cases.  How bad would the scarring be?  How much of the lung function has been damaged?

I don't have an answer to that 2 question.

My only references for these are famous sportsmen.

Neymar, Mbappe, Salah, mane, Zlatan and Pogba all got covid last/early this year.

All won f* all this year.

That's conclusive enough. :D

Edited by Karoon
  • Haha! 2

4 minutes ago, Karoon said:

Neymar, Mbappe, Salah, mane, Zlatan and Pogba all got covid last/early this year.

Then Lewis Hamilton must really be one of the all-time greats - winning the F1 driver’s championship despite getting COVID and missing a couple of races 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

Turbocharged
51 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

93 doctors sign letter urging government to hold off on vaccinating children

A group of 93 doctors have signed on to a letter urging the government to hold off on vaccinating children below the age of 16 until more is learned about the coronavirus and the inoculation’s impact.

The letter comes against the backdrop of Pfizer’s request for emergency approval from the FDA to allow for the vaccination of 12- to 15-year-olds.

In their letter, the doctors call for the continued vaccination of vulnerable populations and claim that it is still possible to fully reopen the economy even without vaccinating children who are less likely to become ill from the virus.

“There must be a recognition that we do not understand everything about the virus, the vaccine against it and that the first commandment of medicine is first do no harm,” the doctors say.

Among the letter’s signatories are Dr. Amir Shachar, emergency room director at Netanya’s Laniado Hospital, Dr. Yoav Yehezkeli, an expert in internal medicine and a lecturer at Tel Aviv University, and Dr. Avi Mizrahi, intensive care unit director at Rehovot’s Kaplan Medical Center.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/93-doctors-sign-letter-urging-goverment-to-hold-off-on-vaccinating-children/

Related news. Can't shake off the feeling experts are in make-it-up-as-you-go-along territory.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/to-beat-side-effects-israel-considers-giving-teens-just-1-covid-vaccine-dose/

To beat side effects, Israel considers giving teens just 1 COVID vaccine dose

As US probes possible link between immunization and mostly mild heart problem, proposed compromise seen as way to dodge the risk while retaining shot’s effectiveness

By NATHAN JEFFAY 26 May 2021, 4:25 pm  

Israel is considering giving children just one dose of the coronavirus vaccine, rather than the usual two, amid reports of mild health problems among some teenagers who received the COVID-19 immunization.

The possible change to regular inoculation protocol is being explored as US health officials probe several dozen reports of mostly mild heart problems — a condition called myocarditis — after young people received vaccines.

15 minutes ago, Karoon said:

Related news. Can't shake off the feeling experts are in make-it-up-as-you-go-along territory.

I must admit, I am/was concerned for several weeks thinking kids are/were getting the same dosage as me. My second dose had me hovering near the phone to call police, get the elephant off my chest.

I would certainly feel more comfortable with a slightly weakened 2-dose program, or a single dose, that it easier from a management perspective. In the end, it's a cop-out, because it's neither here-nor-there but covers the best of both worlds in a woolly woolly way. I don't have research or opinions from "experts" and only is my feeling.

38 minutes ago, Karoon said:

On other hand, there are still pro cyclist that suffers from the effect of COVID19.

This is especially when they ride beyond 1,000m elevation.

Hypersonic
(edited)
6 minutes ago, bsswan said:

I must admit, I am/was concerned for several weeks thinking kids are/were getting the same dosage as me. My second dose had me hovering near the phone to call police, get the elephant off my chest.

I would certainly feel more comfortable with a slightly weakened 2-dose program, or a single dose, that it easier from a management perspective. In the end, it's a cop-out, because it's neither here-nor-there but covers the best of both worlds in a woolly woolly way. I don't have research or opinions from "experts" and only is my feeling.

Well. All kids above age of 3 get same dose of influenza vaccine as adults.  Depends on formulation also. Only hepatitis a and b vaccines are dose adjusted. 

If it reassures u. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 4

1 minute ago, Lala81 said:

Well. All kids above age of 3 get same dose of influenza vaccine as adults. Only hepatitis a and b vaccines are dose adjusted. 

If it reassures u. 

I didn't know that, thanks.

I don't have any medicines at home, like for flu, runny nose type stuff but I always thought the likes of Benedryl had a lower dosage even for <16 but given Bing is also my friend, they pretty much say 12+ as adult. That would kinda make sense as to why Pfizer and Moderna and the likes use that as differential.

Anyway.......... 😧

Hypersonic
1 minute ago, inlinesix said:

On other hand, there are still pro cyclist that suffers from the effect of COVID19.

This is especially when they ride beyond 1,000m elevation.

Would they recovered fully? only time will tell. I think most severe cases of any respiratory disease will damage the lungs. Even though I was discharged from hospital, it was more than a year later I think I don't feel any discomfort in my lungs when I breath hard.  All those time as the pain subside, I always feel some discomfort. 

Need to monitor more of these covid19 recovered athletes.

• Praise 1

44 minutes ago, Karoon said:

These experts are just pawns. There are always 2 or 3 opposing views by different groups of experts. The govt of the day chose the one that align to their strategy.

That said, when petitions are signed, the govt should address them publicly and reassess the decision if the petition has a valid point. I will be very keen to see what the Knesset reply to the petition. This is not an Israel or Singapore issue, but a global one. 

Hypersonic

Just received sms to register vaccine for my son.  1st shot on this Friday,  4-June.  2nd dose on 21-July,  the interval is at least 6 weeks now I think...  

Now waiting to get my daughters jab invitation in 2 weeks.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 6

Turbocharged

Not vaccine but even for something very common, we'll only learn of consequences much much later.

https://www.genengnews.com/news/link-between-paacetamol-use-during-pregnancy-autism-and-adhd-symptoms-supported-by-new-study/

Link between Paracetamol Use during Pregnancy, Autism and ADHD Symptoms Supported by New Study

June 1, 2021

Researchers at the Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal) have carried out an epidemiological study that they claim addresses some weaknesses of previous, similar studies, and supports a proposed link between maternal use of paracetamol (acetaminophen) during pregnancy, and symptoms of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and autism spectrum conditions (ASC) in their children. The newly reported study, which included more than 70,000 children in six European cohorts, found that children exposed to paracetamol before birth were 19% more likely to develop ASC symptoms and 21% more likely to develop ADHD symptoms than those who were not exposed.

On 5/31/2021 at 10:14 PM, Freeder said:

U also same..

I feel they should be open about what really happens if a child dies . What are the procedures,  insurance payouts,  compensation,  whether a civil case can be taken up etc. Now we just hearing the good stuff.  Very one sided. 

• Shocked 1

On 6/1/2021 at 3:14 PM, Weez911 said:

These experts are just pawns. There are always 2 or 3 opposing views by different groups of experts. The govt of the day chose the one that align to their strategy.

That said, when petitions are signed, the govt should address them publicly and reassess the decision if the petition has a valid point. I will be very keen to see what the Knesset reply to the petition. This is not an Israel or Singapore issue, but a global one. 

Being such a democracy,  I doubt the issues you pointed out will  be addressed 

↡ Advertisement