Higher fines, more demerit points for traffic offences in Silver Zones and School Zones from 1st July 2021

SGCM928

Although I will normally curse and swear at any increase in penalty for traffic offences, I fully understood the need for this particular changes and fully support it. Good initiative to keep our seniors and young children safe. 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/mha-traffic-offences-silver-zones-school-zones-fines-demerit-14924670

Fines will be increased by S$100 while an additional two demerit points will be incurred for specified offences committed in these zones.

mha-silver-zones-school-zones--1-.png

mha-silver-zones-school-zones.png

In a media release, MHA said: “Elderly pedestrians continue to account for a disproportionate number of traffic accidents resulting in pedestrian fatalities - in 2020, the elderly made up more than 80 per cent of pedestrian fatalities.

“While jaywalking by elderly pedestrians contributed to some of these accidents, many accidents also arise from irresponsible driving behaviour on the motorist’s part, such as failing to slow down when approaching a pedestrian crossing. 

“The situation may be improved with greater care on the part of motorists.”

Silver Zones, introduced in 2014, are located in areas with a large population of senior citizens.

These zones typically have a lower speed limit of 40kmh and additional traffic-calming and senior-friendly road safety features, such as additional crossing points and narrower lanes to slow down traffic.

School Zones, which are demarcated areas fronting schools, also have enhanced road safety features, with a reduced speed limit of 40kmh during three time blocks on school days and whenever school events are in progress.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

The actual punishment sap sap shui.... 

The recent hit and run van driver was jailed for only 2 weeks (effective 9 days) out a a max sentence of a years. Not even 10%, where got scared? And that's a culprit without remorse too!

Should give 14 demerit points for these offences, meaning only 1 chance. 2nd time offender hang up license. 

• Praise 1

(edited)

Page 1.....

lots of distraction from work....thinks have to go cold turkey from internet 

I shall try 😂😂

image.png.49a10588cdb141268e9d2b3928623d12.png

Edited by Staff69

Good initiative but I personally feel that the penalty should be doubled instead of just +$100 & +2 demerit points over offences commited at other areas.

On the other hand, to be fair to all road users, reckless pedestrian, e.g. those who dash across the road without keeping a proper lookout for vehicle, jaywalk, handphone zombies, etc. should also be penalised for their unsafe acts. Afterall, it takes 2 hand to clap. 

• Praise 10

Not surprised at all, actually there is nothing to be by now, knowing our " cheng hu " is like that, one dept head start rolling, the rest will intimately follow suit and it become a new rule and law . . . I see the composition fines will not be offered no more ( straight attend court )  once demerit point is 12 plus " Failing to give way to pedestrian . . . . outside / within Silver zones is 6/8 points respectively.

Drive safe guys, have to be more observant at Zebra crossing, Red lights, school zones and Silver zones and overhead bridges of Sniper-shooting . . .[drivingcar]

Turbocharged

side track abit.. which website to check vehicles outstanding fines (traffic, parking etc..).. not own car though

1 hour ago, Carbon82 said:

Good initiative but I personally feel that the penalty should be doubled instead of just +$100 & +2 demerit points over offences commited at other areas.

On the other hand, to be fair to all road users, reckless pedestrian, e.g. those who dash across the road without keeping a proper lookout for vehicle, jaywalk, handphone zombies, etc. should also be penalised for their unsafe acts. Afterall, it takes 2 hand to clap. 

yup, i agree.

see many jaywalk within silver zones by walking outside the green railings, their punishment should likewise be increased too.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
4 hours ago, SGCM928 said:

Although I will normally curse and swear at any increase in penalty for traffic offences, I fully understood the need for this particular changes and fully support it. Good initiative to keep our seniors and young children safe. 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/mha-traffic-offences-silver-zones-school-zones-fines-demerit-14924670

Fines will be increased by S$100 while an additional two demerit points will be incurred for specified offences committed in these zones.

In a media release, MHA said: “Elderly pedestrians continue to account for a disproportionate number of traffic accidents resulting in pedestrian fatalities - in 2020, the elderly made up more than 80 per cent of pedestrian fatalities.

“While jaywalking by elderly pedestrians contributed to some of these accidents, many accidents also arise from irresponsible driving behaviour on the motorist’s part, such as failing to slow down when approaching a pedestrian crossing. 

Silver Zones, introduced in 2014, are located in areas with a large population of senior citizens.

These zones typically have a lower speed limit of 40kmh and additional traffic-calming and senior-friendly road safety features, such as additional crossing points and narrower lanes to slow down traffic.

School Zones, which are demarcated areas fronting schools, also have enhanced road safety features, with a reduced speed limit of 40kmh during three time blocks on school days and whenever school events are in progress.

I understand the need for higher fines.
Because the govt also needs to replenish the national reserves.

• Haha! 2

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Carbon82 said:

Agreed.

Turbocharged
4 hours ago, SGCM928 said:

Have they leave out cyclists??

47 minutes ago, Inlinefour said:

just saw Ah Beng speeding eScooter @ School Zone :ouch-it-hurts:

guess these people are sovereign  :a-confused:

Must be Yishun

😂

• Haha! 4