Japan Olympics 2020(1) will continue as planned in midst of global pandemic

Blueray

1 hour ago, Atonchia said:

Even at 1.84m built.

He looked small against other bigger built and taller swimmers. 

Physique really plays an important part of swimming. 

Need a lot more to make up the physique difference. 

U need long hand long leg so can ‘paddle’ more water 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

19 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

Not only in swimming, in fact size and height matter in most sports.

一寸长一寸强, this one hard to disagree....[:p][laugh][laugh]

Theres a limit to height. Best ard 1.8-1.9m for ideal height for most sports. Too tall will be slow

• Praise 1

10 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Their ankle flexibility makes them easy to injure themselves actually. Most pro swimmers don't run much cos it's quite likely they may injure themselves or tighten up their ankles making them not able to swim at the pro level.

Yes, you are totally correct.[thumbsup]

In swimming, except for the breast stroke, which needs both dorsiflexion and plantar flexion, all other strokes employ plantar flexion. In running however, dorsiflexion is the key and plantar flexion is 大忌. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 2

16 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Oh is it? Hahaha. Didn’t know. Many students?

now I dont know, but when it started, queue from Jurong to changi, some say to batam and JB also....[:p][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 2

(edited)
4 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

Yes, you are totally correct.[thumbsup]

In swimming, except for the breast stroke, which needs both dorsiflexion and plantar flexion, all other strokes employ plantar flexion. In running however, dorsiflexion is the key and plantar flexion is 大忌. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

That's why pro swimmers have to start young as a child when they have ankle flexibility.
Once u past that age, no matter how talented you are, your body cannot create the flipper effect liao. Then u end up like triathletes who can swim fast by normal human standards but create more drag, and never will be elite level swimmers.

And that underwater turn dolphin movement they do is actually really difficult to do.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 6

15 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Theres a limit to height. Best ard 1.8-1.9m for ideal height for most sports. Too tall will be slow

Law of Diminishing Returns apply to everything, but at the very base, having more height and size is always an advantage. 

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Ash2017 said:

Recent days one authoritative figure said 'We cannot be fairweather about this' urges S'poreans to support athletes win or lose. Do you see our Ministers or President coming out to take picture with him to console him.

Why cannot be fairweather? Isn't that the nature of it? You win they stand for you in parliament - do you see them rushing to take photo with any other sg olympic swimmer?

So now don't win, of course don't celebrate him already la.

• Haha! 1

12 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

That's why pro swimmers have to start young as a child when they have ankle flexibility.
Once u past that age, no matter how talented you are, your body cannot create the flipper effect liao. Then u end up like triathletes who can swim fast by normal human standards but create more drag, and never will be elite level swimmers.

And that underwater turn dolphin movement they do is actually really difficult to do.

I tried to do that underwater dolphin, i end up like an eel

• Haha! 3

1 minute ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

need core strength + flexibility.
It's super difficult to execute that doesnt involve yourself sinking down haha.  QZW has a good underwater dolphin swim.

That's why u don't see anyone claiming that they can teach u to do it on youtube [laugh]

• Praise 3

(edited)
30 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Yes, because swimming action is quite against our daily movements, so hard to adapt pass a certain age. 

The underwater turn got technique one, once you get it, it is quite easy. The key is to blow air out of your nose when you start to flip, otherwise you will feel suffocated as you turn and end up roll over side way, and judging when to turn comes with practice and confidence. I was a swimmer in school, so I can relate....[laugh][laugh][laugh]

Oh the underwater dolphin movement is core and flexibilities, it is the base for butterfly stroke. I could swim across 25m in a public pool using it when I was younger. Now i think I can still do it, but someone need to pull me out of the pool after that.......[:p]

Edited by Tianmo
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 2

6 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Haolian😁

I once tried to do that...I ended up like master wugui in outerspace...a weightless turtle

there are no accidents I also ended up makan unagi bento as consolation 😅

• Haha! 6

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

That could explain why I can’t swim butterfly.

I started swimming at 9 year old. 

Twincharged

compare JS's swim this time with 2016. 

compare him to other top swimmers.

this time he was breathing with every stroke.

even age group swimmers breathe less than him for 100M fly.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic
2 hours ago, Tianmo said:

Not only in swimming, in fact size and height matter in most sports.

一寸长一寸强, this one hard to disagree....[:p][laugh][laugh]

Diving and gymnastics cannot too big size. 

Smaller, better..

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Basketball and volleyball 

Think 2m is the average height? 

Too tall may lose agility but very high reach. 

• Praise 3

2 hours ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

Why cannot be fairweather? Isn't that the nature of it? You win they stand for you in parliament - do you see them rushing to take photo with any other sg olympic swimmer?

So now don't win, of course don't celebrate him already la.

Precisely.

4 years (or 5) you couraged us Singaporean to invest emotionally in his achievement.

Now you are telling us we shouldn't be emotionally involve when judging his performance? A sub 53 seconds plus a good 2 plus seconds off his in PB?  

Hypocrite.

My views ...😓

• Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Judo, weight lifting and gymnastics need short people like us less than 1.7 🤣

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2