Japan Olympics 2020(1) will continue as planned in midst of global pandemic

Blueray

Just now, Kopites said:

Our boy ever beat LD.🤗

haha the only man ever to beat LD in olympics is CL.

And the rallies in badminton are pretty brutal. Need to be both fast and have stamina.

↡ Advertisement

2 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

This CL is not like the one I saw in Rio...often displayed his unsured footing in a few matches...maybe playing with or without expectation is a big factor...

I only watched 2nd half. CL has good defence and good shot selection but axelsen's reach and court coverage coupled with his height make it impossible to push him out of position.

I believe axelsen was beaten by CL in 2016 in the semis? He made lot more mistakes then and not as polished as now.

Anyway such a tall player playing on form, very hard lah.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

Supercharged
26 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

good game ... axelsen feel to the moon!

Chen Long 2016 Rio Gold medalist ... okay ... been there liao ... [thumbsup] 

sportsmanship prevail ...

Happy to see Axelsen win...it is about time. He has been in the circuit for very long.

I remember when he first started, his physique is a bit plump but still quite good.  He slimed down a lot, and now he is top.

Axelsen was in an era where there are many star players when he started.  There is LD and LCW whom he always had problem with.  Now both are gone,  so it is about time he should grab the opportunity to win it.

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

i think if CL wasn't in his 30s, it would be closer. he's more experienced but less mobile than in 2016.

But axelsen playing some pretty killer shots.

first 10 mins or so was close, point by point for each player. then Axelsen found more turbo.

1 hour ago, mersaylee said:

Why did CL let that match point drop? 🤔

Never take your chance on match point in that manner...

there was an air of inevitability in CL's body language after Axelsen pulled ahead in the first game. think he also know already by then. 

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Starry said:

I think if Spore wants to do well in Olympic, they need to focus only on  a few sports that is suitable for our Asian physique that give us the best chance of winning. Then put all the training budget and strategy into only that few sports.

No point trying all over the place and hope for a star to be born out of the blue.  Realistically  how many Joseph schooling can we produce every 4 years?

shooting? archery? all this dun need big size or stamina to win.

Supercharged
5 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

For these, even plump ones can join...I see some top archers/shooters also  quite plump.....lol

• Haha! 2

Axelsen rank world #2 and chen long #6, Axelsen was emotional cos Denmark last won badminton was in 1996 and he got bronze in last olympics. 

The most sad player is LCW.

10 minutes ago, Starry said:

For these, even plump ones can join...I see some top archers/shooters also  quite plump.....lol

Not say cannot but very hard also. In Olympics you either have to beat the more physical amdk/oldk, or beat the hard-core trainers from China, Korea, Japan, etc. Those people spend a very long time everyday practising since young. 

JS is unique in the sense he is half amdk, trains super hard since young and is supported by US coaching and training technology prior to 2016. He beat the amdk in a brute force event, and in-between peak Phelps and peak Dressel. I think he is our once in a lifetime, really.

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 4

18 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

These are definitely sports that we are not physically disadvantaged.  The Koreans are super good at archery. Mayne they have national programmes.  I think over here some schools also have their own air rifle/pistol ranges, but somehow we are not producing world champs.  Maybe all the CCs should add a air pistol range and all neighbourhood have archery ranges too.  Only thing these sports are less sexy and probably zero commercial value.  All want to be soccer/swimming/athletics stars that can win endorsement deals.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
13 hours ago, Starry said:

I didnt know my body is olympian standard 

i3jfdrcrzze71.jpg

(Got 4th in his heat for 50m) 

Edited by Karoon
  • Haha! 9

Turbocharged
16 hours ago, Lala81 said:

think our sailors are sailing tomorrow. 9th overall, can participate in medal race.

Pretty decent result!
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/sailing-tokyo-olympics-medal-race-singapore-sailors-postponed-15361010

They finished 10th (last position) in the medal race. Even if they were 1st in the medal race, they won’t be able to get a medal as sailing tally the entire 12 races + medal race point system. But good showing nonetheless able to qualify for the medal race. 👍

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2