Used car repair + wear and tear

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

What are the wear and tear and repairs you've had to do on your PARF/COE car? Or rather what's the most you've had to spend on your used car right after purchase? I'm referring to like maybe the days, weeks and initial few months after purchase. So far after taking over I've had some minor fix and also noticed some other issues. 

- Replaced some gaskets cos of EO leak, one is at the oil filter. 

- Did a coolant flush. 

- Replaced the wipers.Thanks Koba for sponsoring lol. 

- Replaced the front windscreen because of a few chips/crack (paid by the dealer I bought the car from) 

- Suspension kinda wonky. Thinking if I should find a used one. 

- Brake pads soon to go. 

- Some trouble shifting from park to drive these two days which I suspect it could be the brake switch faulty or gear shift cable. Any idea? Sending to my workshop to check. 

It being an old car I'm expecting wear and tear here and there but fingers crossed hopefully nothing too major till I send it to Sungei Kadut. 

Lai VW owners I'm sure you have lots to share! 🥴

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

4 tyres, brake pads, change engine oil and transmission oil to restart from a fresh page.

Edited by Albeniz

Twincharged
1 hour ago, BabyBlade said:

What are the wear and tear and repairs you've had to do on your PARF/COE car? Or rather what's the most you've had to spend on your used car right after purchase? I'm referring to like maybe the days, weeks and initial few months after purchase. So far after taking over I've had some minor fix and also noticed some other issues. 

- Replaced some gaskets cos of EO leak, one is at the oil filter

- Did a coolant flush. 

- Replaced the front windscreen because of a few chips/crack (paid by the dealer I bought the car from) 

- Brake pads soon to go. 

- Some trouble shifting from park to drive these two days which I suspect it could be the brake switch faulty or gear shift cable. Any idea? Sending to my workshop to check. 

It being an old car I'm expecting wear and tear here and there but fingers crossed hopefully nothing too major till I send it to Sungei Kadut. 

Buy a COE VW.?Forget it...America's Famous YouTube Mechanic Scotty said...''Endless $$$$$$ Pits''.

• Haha! 3

Suspension is wear and tear item. Used ones would already be worn and won't last. 

Changing the bushings will make the car ride like new, more impact than the shocks. 

• Praise 1

Supercharged

I'll list down what are the items that the next owner needed to do if he/she takes over my 9 years old (270,000km) car

these are the parts that are still working now but long in the tooth, may kaput any time like a time bomb

aircon compressor, evaporator, condenser, expansion valve, heater core/pipes

radiator, coolant hoses, water pump, expansion tank 

wheel bearings

turbocharger

steering rack/power steering pump/steering angle sensor

panoramic roof seals

fuel pump, low pressure + high pressure

end of list

• Praise 1

Been there done that. The joy was to put the car back together in great driving dynamic. 

Sad part was the novelty somehow would fade away and the fear of another expensive part that would fail again. 

• Praise 2

(edited)
2 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

- Did a coolant flush. 

- Brake pads soon to go. 

Purposely jio me is it hahahahah

when i got my 11 year old car :

1.turbo charge pipe

2.bushings and stabiliser links

3.shocks and shock mounting + dust cover (upgraded to VW racingline coilovers)

4.radiator (upgaded to katecool performance radiator) and coolant pipes

5.ECU ( needed to change the pcb but whole ECU died so all new ECU)

6.1x right drive shaft

7.flush all fluids including DSG oil

8. front wheel bearings and lower control arms

9. timing cover gasket leak

10.engine and tranmission oil cooler

11. water pump

12. door lock module

13. fuel rail pressure sensor

14. oil pressure sensor

15. coolant reservoir

16. battery

I think that's it, DSG is fine, main engine block, turbo charger and supercharger fine, i guess mainly wear and tear, but got a very good price for the car so sort of budgeted these in, all in about 7k

Plus another 3-4 k of mods to enhance performance (tuning, intercooler and fuelling upgrades etc)

Edited by SiLangKia
  • Haha! 1

56 minutes ago, SiLangKia said:

1.turbo charge pipe

6.1x right drive shaft

11. water pump

12. door lock module

14. oil pressure sensor

15. coolant reservoir

16. battery

I think that's it, DSG is fine, main engine block, turbo charger and supercharger fine, i guess mainly wear and tear, but got a very good price for the car so sort of budgeted these in, all in about 7k

Plus another 3-4 k of mods to enhance performance (tuning, intercooler and fuelling upgrades etc)

Wah your list of 16 parts and counting is the reason why i stay away from this brand.

• Haha! 1

Supersonic
1 hour ago, SiLangKia said:

1.turbo charge pipe

6.1x right drive shaft

11. water pump

12. door lock module

14. oil pressure sensor

15. coolant reservoir

16. battery

i will have no comments if you say MU and DSG but to list so many items to be replaced, it is not the brand but more because the previous owner did not maintain the car properly.  

• Praise 1

Supersonic
3 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

- Did a coolant flush. 

- Brake pads soon to go. 

all the things you mentioned got nothing to do with brands, it is just common wear and tear and usage. but to replace so many thing in short span is unusual.

what do you mean by having trouble shifting from park to drive? is it stiff feel that you were have to shift hard from park to drive? did you park on a slope? 

4 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

i will have no comments if you say MU and DSG but to list so many items to be replaced, it is not the brand but more because the previous owner did not maintain the car properly.  

ya likely hahah, but i managed to push down the price about 5k from listed so i guess part of that sort of covers it. Car was definitely not in the best shape, externally ok but mechanically there were things to fix, all these fixes are over a close to one year period, after which, the car has been running very well for the last 8-9 months with no leaks/loss of oil/issues, so ok la can, plus it's now re-tuned and doing well in terms of performance

• Praise 2

(edited)
4 hours ago, Roh96 said:

Wah your list of 16 parts and counting is the reason why i stay away from this brand.

I went in with both eyes open, not unexpected, but so far so good, got a good discount and budgeted for the repairs into my yearly cost calculations. It hasn't left me stranded thus far, always managed to power itself to the shop for whatever repairs that were needed

Edited by SiLangKia
  • Praise 1

Supersonic
10 hours ago, Macrosszero said:

I didn’t know engine block is deemed as a wear-and-tear item these days. 

Reaplacing gasket of a 11 year old car is not uncommon and should be consider as wear and tear, cannot be seen as a quality issue, though both my cars are 12 year old now but   the gaskets are all still good for now.😀😀

Internal Moderator
18 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Suspension is wear and tear item. Used ones would already be worn and won't last. 

Changing the bushings will make the car ride like new, more impact than the shocks. 

Went to workshop to check today. In the end, it's the steering rack that's giving me problem. Not the suspension.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2