BabyBlade

Internal Moderator
18 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Rem to change dust cover for shocks.

I never knew dust covers existed lol.

↡ Advertisement

Internal Moderator
15 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

all the things you mentioned got nothing to do with brands, it is just common wear and tear and usage. but to replace so many thing in short span is unusual.

what do you mean by having trouble shifting from park to drive? is it stiff feel that you were have to shift hard from park to drive? did you park on a slope? 

Nope not on a slope. Cannot engage drive mode from park. Went to the shop to check but everything seems ok. Did an early change for the eo, atf just in case.

I haven't replaced much things. Some minor oil leaks which was settled by replacing a few gaskets. Didn't cost much also. The rest are like your basic servicing. Changed the windscreen because the crack was quite big but that was absorbed by the dealer anw.

The costlier replacement should be the steering rack.

Suspension kinda wonky. Thinking if I should find a used one. 

dun bother with used suspension, in normal term, suspension mean replacing the shock absorber only, not the whole system.

the rest of the thing really depends, my philosophy of driving a coe car is just drive it like a non coe .

whatever thing that is not good u replace or replair, whatever thing that is still working dun spend too much to do those what i call 'pre emptive' replacement, because u renew the car , u worry it will break down next time so u replace. 

like that might as well change new car?? there are so many thing that could fail or might not fail in the next 5-10 years

over haul ,starter, alternator, radiator, waterpump x2 for certain vw, bearing lower arm linkage bushing i can easily list out 20 item.

some ws will ask u take out a few k, some time 5k or even more, do up the car.

personally i think its a big waste.

• Haha! 2

Internal Moderator
2 minutes ago, Beregond said:

dun bother with used suspension, in normal term, suspension mean replacing the shock absorber only, not the whole system.

the rest of the thing really depends, my philosophy of driving a coe car is just drive it like a non coe .

whatever thing that is not good u replace or replair, whatever thing that is still working dun spend too much to do those what i call 'pre emptive' replacement, because u renew the car , u worry it will break down next time so u replace. 

like that might as well change new car?? there are so many thing that could fail or might not fail in the next 5-10 years

over haul ,starter, alternator, radiator, waterpump x2 for certain vw, bearing lower arm linkage bushing i can easily list out 20 item.

Yeah it's actually not that expensive to replace also. There are Taiwan branded ones which cost about less than $100 each which I think is good enough already. 

2 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

Yeah it's actually not that expensive to replace also. There are Taiwan branded ones which cost about less than $100 each which I think is good enough already. 

cost price wont be that much different, not sure whats on the market now.

but i will take kyb or tokiko over any tawian brand any time. 

-100 buks is the cost only, the front absorber plus labour will cost at least 150 ( friend price) 

Twincharged
18 hours ago, Hamburger said:

Been there done that. The joy was to put the car back together in great driving dynamic. 

Sad part was the novelty somehow would fade away and the fear of another expensive part that would fail again. 

wah. you took the words out of my mouth. went through the same from 2016-2019. a real money pit. when i thought i have fixed everything i needed to fix... something else breaks within 2-3 months. arrrgh... it is exactly the frustration of not know what else will break, causing extra $$ and down time, that i finally said bye bye to it.

• Praise 3

Twincharged
23 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

depends on if the front or rears are gone. you can save money by doing only one end. if you do the rear it is super easy even to DIY. and no alignment needed. since it is torison beam and the springs are separate from the absorbers.

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator
3 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

wah. you took the words out of my mouth. went through the same from 2016-2019. a real money pit. when i thought i have fixed everything i needed to fix... something else breaks within 2-3 months. arrrgh... it is exactly the frustration of not know what else will break, causing extra $$ and down time, that i finally said bye bye to it.

What car was it ah? 

Twincharged
44 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

Nope not on a slope. Cannot engage drive mode from park. Went to the shop to check but everything seems ok. Did an early change for the eo, atf just in case.

I haven't replaced much things. Some minor oil leaks which was settled by replacing a few gaskets. Didn't cost much also. The rest are like your basic servicing. Changed the windscreen because the crack was quite big but that was absorbed by the dealer anw.

The costlier replacement should be the steering rack.

try parking like this.

1. come to a complete stop. step on the brakes.
  2. shift to N
  3. pull up hand brake
  4. release foot brake
  5. shift to P

now it will be the hand brake holding the car and not the transmission park pawl. should not be a problem to shift out of P when you start the car. Else it could the the cable is stretched and the gear selection is wonky. but kinda unlikely unless mileage is super high.

• Praise 1

(edited)
4 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

depends on if the front or rears are gone. you can save money by doing only one end. if you do the rear it is super easy even to DIY. and no alignment needed. since it is torison beam and the springs are separate from the absorbers.

I did the rear myself before. Simple job for cars with simple suspension like trailing arms or torsion beam.  

Front more complicated and needs spring compressor. That I left to the WS. 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 3

8 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

I fixed up most things to renew but in the end, scrapped it. 

It was fun but I had enough of that. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Twincharged
42 minutes ago, Beregond said:

agree. with my COE car, basically i just fix whatever needs to be fixed.

enough of preemptive replacement that i did before.

save the money for other things in life.

• Praise 2

14 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

the only pre emptive replacement i approve of is the radiator , hose and water pump.

thats is in the case u know the car history and u know they had not been replace before in the last 5-10 years.

Hypersonic

Basically it's all the rubber items. Belts and hoses 

Fluids like coolant, brake fluid and trans and engine oil.

And filters engine and cabin 

:D

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

Like Grabbing when the car breaks down.

Twincharged
9 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

Like Grabbing when the car breaks down.

more like other stuff in life. Toys/gadgets, traveling etc.

(edited)
19 hours ago, Macrosszero said:

I didn’t know engine block is deemed as a wear-and-tear item these days. 

i didn't say it is, i just said it's fine and working well, was running through my mind on all the components and thinking out loud

Edited by SiLangKia
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2