Used car repair + wear and tear

BabyBlade

1 hour ago, Beregond said:

the only pre emptive replacement i approve of is the radiator , hose and water pump.

thats is in the case u know the car history and u know they had not been replace before in the last 5-10 years.

i did this as preventive maintenance even though they were still ok, just cos it was more than 10 years old, for peace of mind, my coolant pipes also

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Internal Moderator
20 hours ago, SiLangKia said:

Purposely jio me is it hahahahah

when i got my 11 year old car :

1.turbo charge pipe

2.bushings and stabiliser links

3.shocks and shock mounting + dust cover (upgraded to VW racingline coilovers)

4.radiator (upgaded to katecool performance radiator) and coolant pipes

5.ECU ( needed to change the pcb but whole ECU died so all new ECU)

6.1x right drive shaft

7.flush all fluids including DSG oil

8. front wheel bearings and lower control arms

9. timing cover gasket leak

10.engine and tranmission oil cooler

11. water pump

12. door lock module

13. fuel rail pressure sensor

14. oil pressure sensor

15. coolant reservoir

16. battery

I think that's it, DSG is fine, main engine block, turbo charger and supercharger fine, i guess mainly wear and tear, but got a very good price for the car so sort of budgeted these in, all in about 7k

Plus another 3-4 k of mods to enhance performance (tuning, intercooler and fuelling upgrades etc)

Pew pew pew you caught the arrow haha. I say it's money well spent if it's something you like and enjoy driving. Don't really need to listen to the buy VW you will regret crowd. I suppose a lot of these people have never driven one before too but are basing it on the bad experience of some others. You can listen, take in the good advice but ultimately your money, your car, your life. 🥴

Used to have the CBR400 (BabyBlade) and before buying everyone was saying buy already sure regret. I bought it, rebuilt it, and had a good five years with it till I finally sold it. 

Anw, your car looks really good! I offer to swap for your "problematic" DSG. 🤪

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
2 hours ago, Beregond said:

Suspension kinda wonky. Thinking if I should find a used one. 

dun bother with used suspension, in normal term, suspension mean replacing the shock absorber only, not the whole system.

the rest of the thing really depends, my philosophy of driving a coe car is just drive it like a non coe .

whatever thing that is not good u replace or replair, whatever thing that is still working dun spend too much to do those what i call 'pre emptive' replacement, because u renew the car , u worry it will break down next time so u replace. 

like that might as well change new car?? there are so many thing that could fail or might not fail in the next 5-10 years

over haul ,starter, alternator, radiator, waterpump x2 for certain vw, bearing lower arm linkage bushing i can easily list out 20 item.

some ws will ask u take out a few k, some time 5k or even more, do up the car.

personally i think its a big waste.

I think it really depends also. If I'm driving a car with the intention to drive long term I would do preemptive replacement. But if I'm driving a COE car knowing that maybe one or two down the road it's up for scrap, then I would do whatever is necessary only, meaning whatever is going to kaput or already kaput I change.

Was talking to my workshop boss whom is also a personal friend that yeah I should change out the suspension since its a good three years to go (like what you mentioned too). But after they checked its not the problem anw. 

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

Pew pew pew you caught the arrow haha. I say it's money well spent if it's something you like and enjoy driving. Don't really need to listen to the buy VW you will regret crowd. I suppose a lot of these people have never driven one before too but are basing it on the bad experience of some others. You can listen, take in the good advice but ultimately your money, your car, your life. 🥴

Used to have the CBR400 (BabyBlade) and before buying everyone was saying buy already sure regret. I bought it, rebuilt it, and had a good five years with it till I finally sold it. 

Anw, your car looks really good! I offer to swap for your "problematic" DSG. 🤪

Ahahaha ! Agreed, I was warned by many (most non VW owners), but those I've met say it's a calculated risk but worth it especially if you're the kind that likes modding cos these cars are easily tunable with just some ECU reflash and etc, and very receptive to upgrades like intakes, intercoolers and stuff, so I decided to try one at least once in my life. Yes I agree with the concerns that ppl have abt reliability that are definitely valid, but also enjoy the process of building it up, and learning alot in the process, even getting my hands dirty to DIY certain things.

Hahah finally know where the BabyBlade came from! CBR400 is an interesting one, rode on one before as a pillion. Glad you enjoyed it, those moments and memories of time spent together are priceless. Sometimes I believe it's the car/bike that chooses it's owner, and not the other way around.

Hahaha thanks for the compliment! Dw la I might ruin your car I scared, hahahahaha

• Praise 1

Supersonic
7 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

Nope not on a slope. Cannot engage drive mode from park. Went to the shop to check but everything seems ok. Did an early change for the eo, atf just in case.

I haven't replaced much things. Some minor oil leaks which was settled by replacing a few gaskets. Didn't cost much also. The rest are like your basic servicing. Changed the windscreen because the crack was quite big but that was absorbed by the dealer anw.

The costlier replacement should be the steering rack.

you mean you are able to shift from park to drive but the gear does not  engage? it could be a sensor problem, cant a mechanic do a check from OBD?  

steering rack and pinion should cost at least 3k onwords.

other than routine fluid change, these are parts which I have replaced over the course of owning a COE car.

brake pads/shoes (NIBK frm fitinpart.sg)
suspension (KYB frm Yuen Thong)
aircon magnetic clutch, pulley (L & Kim)
wheel bearing (stockist)
engine mounting (stockist)

you can choose to get the parts on your own and go to ur preferred workshop and ask them to charge labour for replacement/installation
or save the hassle and let them check, tell you what needs to be replaced and quote an all-in price (expect some markup)

On 6/3/2021 at 7:25 PM, BabyBlade said:

What are the wear and tear and repairs you've had to do on your PARF/COE car? Or rather what's the most you've had to spend on your used car right after purchase? I'm referring to like maybe the days, weeks and initial few months after purchase. So far after taking over I've had some minor fix and also noticed some other issues. 

- Replaced some gaskets cos of EO leak, one is at the oil filter

- Did a coolant flush. 

- Replaced the wipers.Thanks Koba for sponsoring lol. 

- Replaced the front windscreen because of a few chips/crack (paid by the dealer I bought the car from) 

- Suspension kinda wonky. Thinking if I should find a used one. 

- Brake pads soon to go. 

- Some trouble shifting from park to drive these two days which I suspect it could be the brake switch faulty or gear shift cable. Any idea? Sending to my workshop to check. 

It being an old car I'm expecting wear and tear here and there but fingers crossed hopefully nothing too major till I send it to Sungei Kadut. 

Lai VW owners I'm sure you have lots to share! 🥴

i owned a suzuki swift ZC11 for 4 years so I guess my experience will be quite relevant to you.

Bought it from the 1st owner on the 8th year mark and it covered 160kkm++

Immediately, I changed the following

1) simple servicing - change engine oil, oil filter and air filter.  left the plugs alone cos they were fairly new

2) change ATF

3) change all the belts

4) replace cam cover seal as there was some oil leakage.

in the next service, i also flushed the radiator coolant and brake fluids.

throughout the 4 years, there was no major parts changed apart from the regular maintenance.  I remember only replaced one lower arm bushing and the aircon evaporator.

The Swift was supposed to be a temp car for me as I was waiting for the COE to drop before getting a new car.  But it served us so well that I decided to renew its COE after 10years.  I did let it go prematurely when my new car (current) arrives.

Still feel it is one of the best cars that I have owned, considering that it was supposed to be a temp car.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1