Bak Zhangs

Discoburg

Twincharged
(edited)
4 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

When you say reseller first thing I can think of is scalpers on Carouhell lmao. Buy bazhang then sell on Carousell hahaha, like bak kwa.

Wonder who would ever buy resold food? To me such a person is Siao Ah!!!

Edited by Mkl22
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3

Internal Moderator
2 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Wonder who would ever buy resold food? To me such a person is Siao Ah!!!

I got buy Bak Kwa from Carouhell! Saved me the time and hassle of going to queue during CNY.

• Haha! 1

4 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

usually eat kim choo nonya chang. never tasted any chestnut inside.

maybe got chopped mushrooms but never noticed any.

when I was a young boy, my neighbour was nonya, and every year all the women will gather in the open land in front of our house to make and cook bak chang. Nonya chang was always the stand out because easily identified by the leaf. The leaf look like pandan but very hard and big, the nearest I can google is screwpine leaves. These days commercial ones mostly just use bamboo leaves for everything and identified by the color of string. If you happen to come across non commercial nonya chang you may understand what I mean...

I never like the sweet taste of nonya chang, but love the "everything chop up" ingredients when I was a boy, so my mum combine the 2 and made hokkian bak chang with everything chopped up less the winter melon candies...[laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 2

Supercharged
3 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

The leaf look like pandan but very hard and big, the nearest I can google is screwpine leaves.

Interesting! My mom used bamboo leaves and put a small piece of pandan leaf inside when she made nyonya zhang. I don't know where/who she learned it from. 

There's this zhang with hae bee hiam inside. Used to eat it when I was young. Not sure if it's related to nyonya zhang or not. That one shiok to the max. Don't seem to find it anymore or at least, I didn't look for it hard enough.

Talking about zhang has kinda stirred up a sense of loss. Our children will probably never learn the fun of making zhangs cos now all readily and commercially available. Last time was a once a year grand affair and started weeks before it cos we were supposed to sift through the glutinous rice to pick out the bad rice grain. Ha ha .. time spent picking out the rice meant less time spent catching spider!

• Praise 2

9 minutes ago, Ckll said:

Interesting! My mom used bamboo leaves and put a small piece of pandan leaf inside when she made nyonya zhang. I don't know where/who she learned it from. 

There's this zhang with hae bee hiam inside. Used to eat it when I was young. Not sure if it's related to nyonya zhang or not. That one shiok to the max. Don't seem to find it anymore or at least, I didn't look for it hard enough.

Talking about zhang has kinda stirred up a sense of loss. Our children will probably never learn the fun of making zhangs cos now all readily and commercially available. Last time was a once a year grand affair and started weeks before it cos we were supposed to sift through the glutinous rice to pick out the bad rice grain. Ha ha .. time spent picking out the rice meant less time spent catching spider!

nonya chang wrap with the "pandan" leaves always has a nice smell. I guess your mum put the pandan leaf inside to capture the smell. That kind of "pandan" leaves hard to come by these days, not common anymore, but right up to at least 10 years, or mayb 15 years back, nonya chang still selling wrap in those leaves..

Yah, i believe the hae bee hiam one also sub unit of nonya chang, I remember rice is sweet. 

those days, kee chang we have to help pick small young bamboo leaves from the bamboo forest behind our house, FOC one. the bak chang old bamboo leaves have to buy. The nonya chang leaves I dont know where they get it.....

Yah man, our kee chang is 100% must pick out the normal rice, left only the white glutinous rice.  KNN, always pick until middle of night sleepy like fark, so many times the bowl overturn and end up need to pick up from the floor..... all the farking rice!!! [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 2

Turbocharged
18 minutes ago, Ckll said:

never ate zhang with hae bee hiam inside before. maybe it's your family's own recipe?

agree with you on the sense of loss. When i was a young kid, also helped in the zhang making process (make charcoal fire, boil water, prep ingredients etc) and also CNY goodies making process. Very fun times. But I did not carry it to the next generation. So my fault totally.

• Praise 4

Turbocharged
4 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

nonya chang wrap with the "pandan" leaves always has a nice smell. I guess your mum put the pandan leaf inside to capture the smell. That kind of "pandan" leaves hard to come by these days, not common anymore, but right up to at least 10 years, or mayb 15 years back, nonya chang still selling wrap in those leaves..

Yah, i believe the hae bee hiam one also sub unit of nonya chang, I remember rice is sweet. 

those days, kee chang we have to help pick small young bamboo leaves from the bamboo forest behind our house, FOC one. the bak chang old bamboo leaves have to buy. The nonya chang leaves I dont know where they get it.....

Yah man, our kee chang is 100% must pick out the normal rice, left only the white glutinous rice.  KNN, always pick until middle of night sleepy like fark, so many times the bowl overturn and end up need to pick up from the floor..... all the farking rice!!! [laugh][laugh][laugh]

i remember picking the rice for kee zhang. Older relatives' eyesight not as good so left this task to me. Now I know why they have difficulty picking the rice. 😁

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

4 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

never ate zhang with hae bee hiam inside before. maybe it's your family's own recipe?

agree with you on the sense of loss. When i was a young kid, also helped in the zhang making process (make charcoal fire, boil water, prep ingredients etc) and also CNY goodies making process. Very fun times. But I did not carry it to the next generation. So my fault totally.

To be frank zhang with have bee ham inside sounds very delicious.

• Praise 1

(edited)
11 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

My mum made before, my grandma also made before. I think is okok, but few in the family like it, so now its MIA for good liao.

Also the hae bee hiam ones must be last batch to boil, otherwise if got leak, the water will become spicy liao. Last time we use those square oil tin to boil, One time can only boil like 20-30 pcs, just add water and boil the next batch....[laugh][laugh][laugh]

Edited by Tianmo
  • Praise 2

11 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

i remember picking the rice for kee zhang. Older relatives' eyesight not as good so left this task to me. Now I know why they have difficulty picking the rice. 😁

see until blur.....[laugh]

• Haha! 1

Bak Kwa available throughout the year but die die must buy before CNY at cutthroat prices. Bak Zhang available throughout the year but die die must buy during Bak Zhang festival period at cutthroat prices. 

MCF bros really got money [laugh]

• Haha! 5

Supercharged
41 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

Ya boy! Sounds so familiar! Ha ha .. 

• Haha! 1

Supercharged
38 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

Same here .. felt guilty didn't impart/share those tradition with my kids .. 

Ya, making CNY goodies to give relatives in milk powder/cereal tins also another fun times .. ha ha .. 

Supercharged
33 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

My mum made before, my grandma also made before. I think is okok, but few in the family like it, so now its MIA for good liao.

Also the hae bee hiam ones must be last batch to boil, otherwise if got leak, the water will become spicy liao. Last time we use those square oil tin to boil, One time can only boil like 20-30 pcs, just add water and boil the next batch....[laugh][laugh][laugh]

Ya, the kerosene tin. Opened the top, bang the sharp edges to make them safe, then nail wooden blocks on 2 opp sides as "handles". 

• Haha! 2

30 minutes ago, Ckll said:

Ya, the kerosene tin. Opened the top, bang the sharp edges to make them safe, then nail wooden blocks on 2 opp sides as "handles". 

Wah,  sound like we used to stay next to each others...  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 2

Hypersonic
1 hour ago, Mason016 said:

Bak Kwa available throughout the year but die die must buy before CNY at cutthroat prices. Bak Zhang available throughout the year but die die must buy during Bak Zhang festival period at cutthroat prices. 

MCF bros really got money [laugh]

i peasant...that's why i just got my lcg ba kwa delivered to me under their free delivery promo during p2ha

😅

• Haha! 6

Turbocharged
6 hours ago, Enye said:

i peasant...that's why i just got my lcg ba kwa delivered to me under their free delivery promo during p2ha

😅

I must be more peasant than you.😅 I buy those small pieces of bak kwa which no one wants, and only buy them when it's on offer. I'll deep freeze them and eat over a few months. 

• Haha! 3

(edited)

Cravings settled. OMG the hae bee hiam one is nice. Other is Nonya zhang.

IMG_3532.jpeg

IMG_3533.jpeg

Edited by Discoburg
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 1