Bak Zhangs

Discoburg

Just now, Tianmo said:

The leaves,  looks very much like the "pandan" leaf I was talking about. The color,  thickness and grain line definitely does not look like those bamboo leaves use to wrap other bak chang.  

Yeah I think its pandan leaves although I am not sure what bamboo leaves look like.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

On 6/16/2021 at 12:02 PM, mersaylee said:

Actually, I wonder why not cook the glutinous rice with the pandan leaves like nasi lemak then wrap with the ingredients them press it into a pyramid shape mould instead of fill, wrap, steam them unwrap again? I like to eat but dislike the oily yet sticky unwrap part of the process 😁

Unwrapping your food slowly,  and imagine what it looks like inside, is always the most exciting part before you eat. Why you so lazy....[laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 2

On 6/15/2021 at 4:25 PM, Ckll said:

Same here .. felt guilty didn't impart/share those tradition with my kids .. 

Ya, making CNY goodies to give relatives in milk powder/cereal tins also another fun times .. ha ha .. 

just create new traditions with your kids.

• Praise 1

(edited)
21 minutes ago, Discoburg said:

Yeah I think its pandan leaves although I am not sure what bamboo leaves look like.

From your picture, and the pictures on their website,  quite sure is "pandan" leaves. 

Wah,  this place quite traditional even with their leaves, I guess food sld be good.  I go try another day,  since I pass by clementi mall almost every weekday.  

This is the bamboo leaves wrap, it's softer, thin,  and darker in color,  usually can still see the shape of the whole leaf after you unwrap the chang. 

Screenshot_2021-06-17-14-55-41-08.thumb.jpg.c1add4d6ca1f820a1ff448bd06443865.jpg

This is the "pandan" leaves wrap, it's harder, the grains run parallel,  lighter in color, and the edges are usually flat because of the cut.  

Screenshot_2021-06-17-14-54-38-25.thumb.jpg.b0df7fd5b63bcf5cc0f4088a39195e4c.jpg

If you get to compare them side by side, quite obvious. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Edited by Tianmo
  • Praise 2

27 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

From your picture, and the pictures on their website,  quite sure is "pandan" leaves. 

Wah,  this place quite traditional even with their leaves, I guess food sld be good.  I go try another day,  since I pass by clementi mall almost every weekday.  

This is the bamboo leaves wrap, it's softer, thin,  and darker in color,  usually can still see the shape of the whole leaf after you unwrap the chang. 

Screenshot_2021-06-17-14-55-41-08.thumb.jpg.c1add4d6ca1f820a1ff448bd06443865.jpg

This is the "pandan" leaves wrap, it's harder, the grains run parallel,  lighter in color, and the edges are usually flat because of the cut.  

Screenshot_2021-06-17-14-54-38-25.thumb.jpg.b0df7fd5b63bcf5cc0f4088a39195e4c.jpg

If you get to compare them side by side, quite obvious. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Yeah it’s confirmed pandan leave. Asked my wife hehe.

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Tianmo said:

Unwrapping your food slowly,  and imagine what it looks like inside, is always the most exciting part before you eat. Why you so lazy....[laugh][laugh][laugh]

This type of course I'll unwrap slowly...but unfortunately those I got my hands on are not lor 😁

45861E7C-C779-46BF-BA18-93B649C52548.thumb.jpeg.7857351cd5cec11ec01dcdb143ec178e.jpg

• Haha! 2

2 hours ago, Discoburg said:

Bought some at Tampines One yesterday. Heated up for today's lunch.

IMG_6567.jpeg

Still eating ba zhang now? Not mooncakes ah? Lol.

• Haha! 1

2 hours ago, 13177 said:

Still eating ba zhang now? Not mooncakes ah? Lol.

Bak zhangs, bak kwas not only can be eaten during the season one ma.
Not a mooncake fan, too sweet.

• Haha! 2

Internal Moderator
13 minutes ago, Discoburg said:

First time eat Kee Zhang and I hate it.

IMG_6622.jpeg

Why! I like kee chiang! hahaha. but I like kosong one. Then I will dip with kaya jam.

• Haha! 2

Just now, kobayashiGT said:

Why! I like kee chiang! hahaha. but I like kosong one. Then I will dip with kaya jam.

So weird the taste. First thing came to my mind is bao. Then the nuah nuah texture immediately mades me puke.

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
2 minutes ago, Discoburg said:

So weird the taste. First thing came to my mind is bao. Then the nuah nuah texture immediately mades me puke.

If kosong one, there is no much taste lah. Is like eating some nonya kueh.

• Shocked 1

Just now, kobayashiGT said:

If kosong one, there is no much taste lah. Is like eating some nonya kueh.

Eat kosong one for what? No ingredients.

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Discoburg said:

Eat kosong one for what? No ingredients.

Hahah. I like kosong one. Then I can dip with kaya or plain sugar.

• Praise 2

3 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

I dip with sugar.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged
21 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

Hahah. I like kosong one. Then I can dip with kaya or plain sugar.

never thought of eating it with kaya. great idea. I've only tried it with sugar.

What other dips are good? Condensed milk? Jam (seems a bit weird)? Melted chocolates? A pinch of hay bee hiam? Stick a piece of bak kwa inside?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1