Air Purifier Discussion - tips and info

therock

In light of the current Covid situation as well as the coming dry months with the haze coming, I recently had to do a presentation on this, so I figured I should the info here for all to benefit and also share, and others can contribute, discuss etc.

1 Firstly, I have no financial interest in the items I share.. 

2 Second, what's an Air Purifier?

An air purifier or air cleaner is a device which removes contaminants from the air in a room to improve indoor air quality.

3 What are the common contaminants?

Before Covid, we had the Haze, and the keyword is PM 2.5

https://www.health.ny.gov/environmental/indoors/air/pmq_a.htm

These are particulate matter 2.5 (PM2.5), refers to tiny particles or droplets in the air that are two and one half microns or less in width. Exposure to fine particles can also affect lung function and worsen medical conditions such as asthma and heart disease. Scientific studies have linked increases in daily PM2.5 exposure with increased respiratory and cardiovascular hospital admissions, emergency department visits and deaths. 

Then biological contaminants, which include bacteria, viruses and others like fungal spores.

4 So now the hot item is the Covid virus, which requires some of the finest filters known to man:

image.png.5f5a8b288989369ec628ea6f08530830.png

image.png.1819d2e620da90521d8a52dbda438d29.png

BUT I want to emphasise, the key thing for Covid and general health especially for airborne / aerosol based infections, is the MASK.

So before you rush out to buy that purifier, buy and wear that mask! And do your social distancing!

image.png.9ec1591a910dfd3cc67c995fa24c9ec3.png

image.png.69e191a8a986b4edda266245d2393e6e.png

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

THREE STRATEGIES TO REDUCE INDOOR AIR POLLUTANTS

•Source control

•Ventilation with outdoor air – not possible in the clinic

•Air cleaning

image.png.fa295631b4dc16ab7567af165f07f321.png

image.png.aaffc5855efe5ff8ab2b496296d8261a.png

• Praise 2

Air-Cleaning Technologies

Two types of air-cleaning technologies are commonly used in duct-mounted and portable air cleaners to remove particles from the air

• fibrous media air filters 
  • electronic air cleaners. 

Bipolar ionization (also called needlepoint bipolar ionization) is a technology that can be used in HVAC systems or portable air cleaners to generate positively and negatively charged particles.

Terminology and Mechanisms

•The most effective ways to improve your indoor air are to reduce or remove the sources of pollutants and to ventilate with clean outdoor air.

•In order for an air cleaner to be effective in removing viruses from the air, it must be able to remove small airborne particles (in the size range of 0.1-1 um). 

•Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) rating system to rate air cleaner performance.

•Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value (MERV)

•MERV 11 filters and above are explicitly tested for their ability to remove the smaller 0.3–1 μm particles that are of greatest health concern because they make up a significant fraction of PM2.5 mass

• Praise 1

High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filters

•Filters described as being HEPA filters are generally equivalent to MERV 16 and offer the highest available particle removal efficiency of fibrous media air filters for a wide range of particle sizes.

•Higher efficiency filters with a MERV of 14 to 16 will typically have a higher average resistance to airflow than medium-efficiency filters of the same thickness

image.png.7fdc3dfefe34102d3ae700fff215ef4f.png

• Praise 2

•The amount of time that an air cleaner operates influences its ability to reduce pollutant concentrations and associated health risks. I

•Generally speaking, higher fan speeds and longer run times will increase the amount of air filtered.

•But higher fans speeds = more noise

image.png.8892875cee30f848e92d091e8e578099.png

Ultraviolet Germicidal Irradiation (UVGI) Air Cleaners

•UV lamps to kill or deactivate microorganisms such as viruses, bacteria, and fungal spores and fragments that are airborne or growing on surfaces

Both UV-A (long wave: 315–400 nm) and UV-C (short wave: 100–280 nm) are used in UVGI air cleaners

Issues

•Bypass airflow that flows around an air filter because of poor installation will reduce air filter effectiveness.

•What’s less clear is whether a HEPA purifier would catch the virus prior to the point of inhalation. 

•UVGI cleaners can generate large amounts of ozone as a byproduct of their operation

•Regular filter media replacement and/or cleaning are essential for ensuring performance

•Energy consumption

Actually, our car AC system acts as an air purifier system. So I'm using Mann Frecious Plus series cabin filters, hoping it improves the air quality in cabin when on recirculation.

On 6/4/2021 at 8:36 AM, kobayashiGT said:

It depends on whether you are trying to freshen up the air a bit or specifically trying to clear toxins.. then the airflow / CADR or clearance isn't suffiicient.

Eg if you're a Grab driver for MOH, I'll suggest winding down the windows, and use a N95 mask instead. Much more effective and cheaper too...

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie
18 hours ago, therock said:

It depends on whether you are trying to freshen up the air a bit or specifically trying to clear toxins.. then the airflow / CADR or clearance isn't suffiicient.

Eg if you're a Grab driver for MOH, I'll suggest winding down the windows, and use a N95 mask instead. Much more effective and cheaper too...

I just wanna remove tapau food smell inside my car. hahaha

Neutral Newbie
18 hours ago, badlammy said:

Actually, our car AC system acts as an air purifier system. So I'm using Mann Frecious Plus series cabin filters, hoping it improves the air quality in cabin when on recirculation.

https://www.frecious-plus.com/en

Oh. this is some good filter. Anyone selling this in Singapore?

8 minutes ago, Westroad112 said:

I just wanna remove tapau food smell inside my car. hahaha

Actually bro 

For food odors it’s best to open your windows

if the organic fat molecules get embedded in your filters, they may stay there for a long time. 

Attract bacteria too. 

Just open the windows a tad..

• Praise 1

The haze is coming back:

Avoid prolonged or strenuous outdoor physical exertion when PSI levels are in the unhealthy range (PSI reading 101-200), and to avoid outdoor activity when PSI levels are very unhealthy (PSI reading 201-300) or hazardous (PSI reading >300).

• Praise 1

On 6/6/2021 at 3:04 PM, badlammy said:

Yep, this is a standard fit for all Mercs for example.

You can get it from online stores, but do make sure it fits your car.. go to your respective chat groups on cars and ID the right model..

I got my service mechanic to help swop... cheaper than what the AD charges.. 

• Praise 1