Changing Auto transmission filter

Techgod

I have past experiences of not changing auto transmission filter and causing the transmission to fail.
How is your experience in getting any authorized dealer like Borneo Motors to change the ATF? Or has anyone changed via AD before?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

41 minutes ago, Techgod said:

I have past experiences of not changing auto transmission filter and causing the transmission to fail.
How is your experience in getting any authorized dealer like Borneo Motors to change the ATF? Or has anyone changed via AD before?

Changing ATF withour changing filter (if there is one) speaks of sheer incompetence and negligence. It is akin to changing EO but not the oil filter. If the filters get clogged, the engine/gearbox will be starved of lubrication and you can look forward to engine/gearbox failure in no time.

I personally do not think any AD would be that incompetent or negligent.

• Praise 2

Supercharged
9 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Changing ATF withour changing filter (if there is one) speaks of sheer incompetence and negligence. It is akin to changing EO but not the oil filter. If the filters get clogged, the engine/gearbox will be starved of lubrication and you can look forward to engine/gearbox failure in no time.

I personally do not think any AD would be that incompetent or negligent.

Err.... I think you have mistaken it with engine oil filter.

ATF filter is actually just a metal gauze (in plastic housing) to hold large metal particles that may shave off from the transmission, especially during initial run-in. From my research and all the ATF fluid change YT videos, actually very rarely will anyone change the ATF filter, which needs to drop transmission pan to uninstall. Once you do that, you need to change both the ATF filter as well as the transmission pan gasket.

In fact, many manufacturers already give the message (I don't agree) that ATF fluid does not need to change.

Local AD I confirm only do a standard drain and fill of ATF (which only changes ~50% of the actual ATF fluid).

• Praise 3

The coffee machine at BM? I think they stop serving customers beverages cos of the situation now. Cannot remove the mask.

Basically you just sit there and use their free wifi to access internet. I think that's the experience.

(edited)
1 hour ago, t0y0ta said:

ATF filter is actually just a metal gauze (in plastic housing) to hold large metal particles that may shave off from the transmission, especially during initial run-in. From my research and all the ATF fluid change YT videos, actually very rarely will anyone change the ATF filter, which needs to drop transmission pan to uninstall. Once you do that, you need to change both the ATF filter as well as the transmission pan gasket.

In fact, many manufacturers already give the message (I don't agree) that ATF fluid does not need to change.

Local AD I confirm only do a standard drain and fill of ATF (which only changes ~50% of the actual ATF fluid).

The AT fluid in my car is 11 yr old. Not touching it. Bo dai ji mai chay dai ji.... 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Haha! 2

11 hours ago, Techgod said:

i cannot be sure, but i believe 90%+ of the car that do atf change never change the filter (b &b) jap korean cars.

those luxury conti car that 1 time change can cost 500 or 1000 type, then normally will incrude the filter.

Twincharged
(edited)
1 hour ago, t0y0ta said:

in the older days it was a metal gauze. now it is a foam or paper element.

but yes, not 100% critical that you MUST replace filter. the service life of the filter is easily 100k km.

I have DIYed a toyota wish 4speed gearbox ATF change. i changed(only drian and fill) every 20k km since brand new and the used fluid is always almost new like, almost full red. the gearbox was as new when it was sent for export just before it hit 10years at 170k km. ATF filter was never changed.

on hindsight it was probably super overkill. would have probably been fine with 40k changes as well.

yes, drain and fill for the 4speed was approx 3.5-4L cant remember. system capacity was 7-8L. around half of the fluid remains in the gearbox case.

also as with the engine oil filter, there are bypass valves for the ATF filter. only air filter and fuel filter no bypass valves 😁

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 2

17 hours ago, Techgod said:

Have you tried googling for the info you need?

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 2

(edited)

I will stick to around 30k km for my auto car and 60k km for my manual car transmission oil change.

I don't remember ever changing the transmission oil filter for my cars but I will do so probably at the next ATF oil change next year since they are not too expensive for Japanese cars.

Edited by awhtc

Supercharged

ermm, many different thoughts there

i'm also new to ATF..

i read that ATF used to change every 40k.. but now, newer tech etc, ATF only need to change at 90-100k..

SP4 for 6 gear.

my 80k mileage is approaching.. and i intend to change ATF along with the filter..

the filter dont cost much, only $37?

44 minutes ago, Kurty said:

i'm also new to ATF..

i read that ATF used to change every 40k.. but now, newer tech etc, ATF only need to change at 90-100k..

SP4 for 6 gear.

my 80k mileage is approaching.. and i intend to change ATF along with the filter..

Wow! N95 huh? 😅

thanks for the share guys, haha i get the jokes. my mileage is around 90k. I would just like to raise some awareness on automatic transmission filter. Not saying particularly any AD. 

Supercharged
12 hours ago, Techgod said:

thanks for the share guys, haha i get the jokes. my mileage is around 90k. I would just like to raise some awareness on automatic transmission filter. Not saying particularly any AD. 

i guess its better to change the ATF filter on every 1-2 interval.

prevention better than cure 😁

Supercharged
21 hours ago, Kurty said:

i'm also new to ATF..

SP4 for 6 gear.

What brand/model you driving?

For ATF it is not nowadays not straightforward to replace like engine oil. There is typically no dipstick or filler cap. Every manufacturer would have certain process to refill. For example for Toyota, they require a special vacuum pump to pump in ATF from a side filler plug. ATF level must be checked at certain gearbox working temperature and workshop needs to use OBD reader to make sure Transmission temp is in the right range, this is because the ATF expands or contracts a lot with temp, and the gearbox is VERY sensitive to correct ATF level.

The reason to understand this is to make sure the workshop know what they are doing, otherwise you change and the workshop do a shitty job and make things worse than not changing.

Supercharged
39 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

What brand/model you driving?

For ATF it is not nowadays not straightforward to replace like engine oil. There is typically no dipstick or filler cap. Every manufacturer would have certain process to refill. For example for Toyota, they require a special vacuum pump to pump in ATF from a side filler plug. ATF level must be checked at certain gearbox working temperature and workshop needs to use OBD reader to make sure Transmission temp is in the right range, this is because the ATF expands or contracts a lot with temp, and the gearbox is VERY sensitive to correct ATF level.

The reason to understand this is to make sure the workshop know what they are doing, otherwise you change and the workshop do a shitty job and make things worse than not changing.

hyundai elantra..

all the newer series, based on the manual, the ATF can goes up to 100k mileage..

↡ Advertisement