20 year old died after PMD catches fire in Woodlands lift

Fitvip

BTW, PMDs are still allowed in MRT, right?

If this had happened inside a moving MRT, what will happen huh? 😓

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Shocked 2

Supercharged
1 hour ago, Kyrios said:

Apologies but just curious, most lifts stop at every floor nowadays, could the young chap have given himself a fighting chance by pressing for the next available floor? Or was it that the lift detected smoke and came to an abrupt stop and power cut..thus dooming the young chap?

If for any reason end up in a lift with pmd.. can try press the button for every floor first as a precaution.. 

• Haha! 5

Turbocharged

I am curious how the battery explode or short circuited. If it is charging, then at least due to overheat. If it is PMD wiring short, then there should be fuse. internal battery cells short circuit? 

Hypersonic
(edited)

Now govt forensics will have  arduous task to find out if the machine meet the UL standards and if not go after the importer if records are available ( unless the 20 year old imported or modded it locally ) 

Edited by BanCoe
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Kyrios said:

Apologies but just curious, most lifts stop at every floor nowadays, could the young chap have given himself a fighting chance by pressing for the next available floor? Or was it that the lift detected smoke and came to an abrupt stop and power cut..thus dooming the young chap?

Based on news report, the guy dashed out of the lift on level 2 in flame... 

eBdSHKF.jpg

• Praise 7
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jamesc said:

What a fantastic system for my MIL.

I would have designed a lift that detect smoke immediately stop at the next floor and doors open big big and cannot move.

But that's no good for bbqing my MIL right?

:D

The lift designer must have his MIL in mind.

No offence but this is something not to be joked about. 

We are talking about the loss of life here, in tragic. Please respect the deceased and his family. Thank you. 

• Praise 18

Hypersonic
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

No offence but this is something not to be joked about. 

We are talking about the loss of life here, in tragic. Please respect the deceased and his family. Thank you. 

Absolutely

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 3

Supersonic
1 hour ago, Victor68 said:

I am curious how the battery explode or short circuited. If it is charging, then at least due to overheat. If it is PMD wiring short, then there should be fuse. internal battery cells short circuit? 

1. low quality lithium-ion battery
  2. no protection circuit
  3. if one cell internal short circuit, overtemp and burst into flame, it will cascade to the other cells, and quickly consume the whole battery
  4. no fuse can stop this
  • Praise 4

Supercharged
1 hour ago, Carbon82 said:

That been said even a short while it causes such serious injuries shows that these batteries really burn fast and intensely.

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Carbon82 said:

eBdSHKF.jpg

Such a small battery can cause such damages. And how long is a lift ride anyway nowadays? The young chap can suffer such extensive burns within seconds? Unbelievable. My next question will be was he travelling upwards from 1st floor then kena burnt and exited at 2nd floor or was he travelling downwards from a high floor to ground? 

I mean from 1st to 2nd floor is barely 5 secs..so most likely is travelling downwards from the top floor to ground, giving time for the fire to rage.

Twincharged
3 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

That is the worse place to get trapped inside when there is a burning PMD that caught fire. Wanna ditch also cannot.

@Jamesc Don't even think about it ah.

It is like when alive,put into a Cremation Chamber...

• Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

eBdSHKF.jpg

So it's actually an e-bike instead of e-scooter?

That is even more worrying.

e-scooters have been banned but e-bikes are the rage now, and can be found frequently/everywhere. If they are so dangerous, then will need to take more precaution...

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
45 minutes ago, Kyrios said:

I mean from 1st to 2nd floor is barely 5 secs..so most likely is travelling downwards from the top floor to ground, giving time for the fire to rage.

I guess human brain need time to react.. When such thing happened many things will come to mind before react the right way..

Just like any car accidents, you see @Jamesc posted so many videos and people will comment HOW come like that oso can accidents..

People in general don't practice any drill in so call "What if" scenario.. so take a while to react.. 

In Carousell there's a post abt Fake Tesla battery.. i guess it is something hard to control when supplier manage to get such chiong things to sell..

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Kb27 said:
  1. low quality lithium-ion battery
  2. no protection circuit
  3. if one cell internal short circuit, overtemp and burst into flame, it will cascade to the other cells, and quickly consume the whole battery
  4. no fuse can stop this

Well said. So in a solar/PV situation,  the cells are linked and live when there is sun. If a short circuit happen, I wonder how they disconnect itself cell by cell? Protection gears are usually at the termination point where the source supply. 

↡ Advertisement