Racism in Singapore: Singaporean man told to date people of his own ethnicity

BabyBlade

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

I think this is not news. Like we have never heard of parents objecting to interracial marriage telling their children who or what race they should marry.

In the 80s there is the "Great Marriage Debate" from a significant figure here in Singapore. Giving his idea of an ideal marriage. 

We are living in a multi-racial society there is no 100% guarantee there is no discrimination. Like it or not there will still be some biasness for sure.

What this guy did is out of line of course but that doesnt mean he is the only one thinking the way he did. 

And the "significant figure" is still right to a certain extent, you know. Let's not be so innocent. To those entertaining such notions, he has told us to Grow Up [laugh]

That is why we have communal-based help groups, instead of one umbrella body covering everyone.

When you have not-so-nice news or advice to deliver, you always make sure you have representatives of the same racial group among your messengers. And not primarily because of language issues. Even if everyone is fluent in english. Because the "frequency" is more matching and the message reception will be better. This will always hold true. 

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic

Sometimes it's not racism it's nationalism.

It's unfortunate some countries race and nationality is the same.

England English, China Chinese, India Indian.

If someone say too many Canadians here then no one will say it's racist.

But if they say too many English, Chinese or Indians here it's can be seen as racism but the person meant nationalism.

:D

• Haha! 2

Hypersonic

Before Covid I was driving on the NSH and a polis officer stop my car and said I was speeding when I was not.

He stop me because I had an SG plate car.

He is not a racist because he stop all SG plate car and malay, indian or chinese all no chance one.

He never stop any MY plate cars of any race.

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic
(edited)

Racism is also a problem for people getting married.

A single Jewish man cannot only marry a Jewish lady and not many single Jewish ladies in Singapore.

My Jewish friend told me there are only 4 available, one fat one, one ugly one and one rich and beautiful one and one old one but he was too late and even the rich and beautiful one got engaged already.

He likes Thai girls but his family don't allow him marry any lady not Jewish.

I feel very sad for him.

Edited by Jamesc
  • Haha! 2

Twincharged

almost like coordinated...

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/sharon-liew-racist-tweets-zainal-abidin-shaiful-bahari-14970254

Man jailed for racially offensive tweets under pseudonym 'Sharon Liew'

Zainal Abidin Shaiful Bahari was charged in court on Jul 2, 2020 over stoking racial tensions online under the pseudonym "Sharon Liew". (Photo: Hanidah Amin)

By Lydia Lam@LydiaLamCNA

08 Jun 2021 10:43AM(Updated: 08 Jun 2021 11:00AM)

image.png.c76f10f79734414e6d790ee2a2c8d1f0.png

Bookmark

SINGAPORE: A man who made racially offensive tweets under a pseudonym "Sharon Liew" was jailed for three weeks on Tuesday (Jun 8).

Zainal Abidin Shaiful Bahari, 35, pleaded guilty to two charges each of committing acts he knew was prejudicial to the maintenance of harmony between different racial groups. Another two similar charges were considered in sentencing.

His lawyers claimed that he was "not a racist" and that he was taking over a "parody account" and "overstepped the mark" while "trying to be funny".

District Judge S Jennifer Marie said that race and religion are sensitive issues and would-be offenders must realise that careless remarks have the potential to cause social disorder.

"Further, when such remarks are published with the medium of the Internet, they have the ubiquitous reach and therefore amplify the potential and irreversible harm that could be caused to ... peace and racial harmony."

She added that racial tensions have been heightened by the continued pandemic and a strong deterrent signal must be sent.

Advertisement

The court heard that Zainal was a senior director at a computer software company. A member of the public called the police in April 2020 after seeing a tweet by the user sharonliew86 condemning Indian immigrants in relation to COVID-19.

Zainal was identified and police investigations revealed that he had set up the Twitter account in July 2018 with two other friends.

It was meant to be a parody account and had more than 5,000 followers, but the posts by Zainal's two friends stopped from early 2019.

Zainal took over sole control of the account. In April 2020 he posted racially offensive tweets, including slurs to Indians. In March 2020 he also posted that "smart Chinese" women have done social distancing inside the MRT by not wanting to sit next to Indians.

He also made an offensive tweet in October 2019 about the educational standard of Malays.

The prosecutor called for four weeks' jail, saying there was a clear need for general deterrence, especially in the current climate where tensions in the community have been heightened and strained by exceptional pandemic circumstances.

Lawyer Sunil Sudheesan asked instead for three weeks' jail, saying that every action by his client must be viewed "in the proper context".

"He's not a racist, obviously," said Mr Sudheesan. He and his colleague Diana Ngiam said Zainal is married to a Chinese woman and has racially diverse friends.

Mr Sudheesan said everyone who followed the account knew it was a parody, and things could have become inflamed when people who did not know the intention of certain tweets forwarded them.

"Our client is very sorry for this. He should have anticipated this," he said.

The prosecutor responded that Zainal had well crossed the line.

"This was not parody, this was not satirical behaviour, this was simply the actions of an online troll who was provoking others ... This is really not acceptable," he said.

Judge Jennifer Marie told Zainal that the language used in his tweets were in bad taste.

"If you had really valued racial and cultural diversity, you should have appreciated all the more the need to preserve ... sensitivities given the multi-cultural fabric of Singapore," she said.

For each charge of committing an act prejudicial to racial harmony, Zainal could have been jailed up to three years, fined, or both.

Source: CNA/ll(rw)

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

Supersonic
On 6/7/2021 at 9:35 AM, Victor68 said:

Racism is when you got someone like that and then many supported him, then minister needs to come up to say something. If every single IMH patient says anything, minister needs to clarify, then very busy liao. 

小题大作?

Supersonic
23 hours ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Shouldn't the one who video the incident and posting it in Youtube committed an offence ? :wut:

The video could have been taken by the girl friend!

Hypersonic

I would like to see the racist tell this happy couple.

The adorable bride will bite him in the balls.

image.png.9643b6f430268c9dc1f5ead30b96c53a.png.edfdb0b127216835a3c833a291addf94.png

Supersonic
5 hours ago, RadX said:

as a public servant, they have to uphold the morals of conduct strictly, regardless. 

There are declarations done annually that they have to adhere to these.  Ask the civil servants here and you will know

Suspension, I feel it was too swift! 

Under normal circumstances, if the officer is accused of some serious offence, he/she will be relieved of certain duties, later interdicted on half pay. When he/she is charged in court, he/she would be suspended with no pay.

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, Fitvip said:

Suspension, I feel it was too swift! 

Under normal circumstances, if the officer is accused of some serious offence, he/she will be relieved of certain duties, later interdicted on half pay. When he/she is charged in court, he/she would be suspended with no pay.

Perhaps, but this is wihtin the jurisdiction of NP, and they have it in the IM, I think on how to administer such egregious acts

• Praise 1

Supersonic
4 hours ago, Mooose said:

i think in addition to that, people who work in education institutions have some obligation to "behave" and set the standards as they are seen as teachers and have some influence on the younger ..

Teachers recite their pledge every year! I forgot the day, cold be on Teachers' Day。

Supersonic
4 hours ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Hmmmmm ...... have the farmers ever had in mind to cross breed vegetables for greater yale ... [sly]

:XD:

Yes, like the late 袁隆平who passed away recently!

Hypersonic
5 hours ago, RadX said:

as a public servant, they have to uphold the morals of conduct strictly, regardless. 

There are declarations done annually that they have to adhere to these.  Ask the civil servants here and you will know

Like that better for thos ein civil service not be bo on other's facebook video.

Parking fine or traffic summons how? Got close one eye for this?

(edited)
5 hours ago, RadX said:

I work in a private company where all employees have to attend and sign off on mandatory code of conduct trainings every year including topics on racial/cultural/gender/LGBT diversity and inclusivity. This is a HR necessity for most companies who operate globally across geos, cultures and races, etc, to ensure they attract, manage and retain the best talents possible. There are also established HR processes to blow the whistle on offenders against such policies.

I remember when chatting on this topic to some friends who only worked in phua chu kang pte ltd type companies, I didn't expect that it turned out to be a very foreign if not shocking concept to them. Some classic responses were...

"Why your company have to hire homo!?"

"What's wrong with stating race as a prerequisite for job opening?"

"Our boss always tell women to be in charge of serving drinks during meetings."

So I guess depending on individual family upbringing, social life experiences and work cultures (which make up a big part of our lives), it'll shape our beliefs and views on diversity and inclusivity.

Edited by Jellandross
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3