Racism in Singapore: Singaporean man told to date people of his own ethnicity

BabyBlade

(edited)
41 minutes ago, Playtime said:

todays sunday times is really going to town.... seems the central message is that indians are treated badly...

does cases of racism happen... now anyone with any sense know it does happen, more importantly, it also happens to everyone else. so why this sudden media campaign?

more importantly, what is this campaign meant to do?

vs

what should it really do?

example:

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/banking-finance/singapores-financial-sector-to-add-6500-roles-in-2021-but-tech-roles-demand-supply

"...But when it comes to software engineering, which saw more than 10 times net job growth than for UX/UI designers in 2019, less than 20 per cent of the jobs went to Singaporeans..."

Now even 20% is already very low no?... yet I dont know what % of those defined as  "singaporeans" are new or even just PR.. truth be told, I doubt even my NS Indian platoon mates can survive in that environment.

is the issue that needs to be tackled nationality discrimination instead of racial ? which is the cause and which is the unintended symptom?

perhaps like the country that cannot be named... the agreement cannot be named too... then whats the point?

No breakdown as to those returning citizen/PR  daily positive cases as well. How many were new citizen/PR?

Edited by Kopites
↡ Advertisement

21 hours ago, Owner-driver said:

Somehow it looks like staged to me. I received comment from neighbour that certain cultures are notorious for raping and killing women in their motherland. So how could there be any racism involved here?😲

You've already proven yourself to be a persistent troll (and I know exactly which scummy old user you are) but now you're crossing into dangerous racial territory. @RadX may want to keep a close eye on you. This is not EDMW where shitheaded comments like yours are tolerated.

• Praise 4

20 minutes ago, Owner-driver said:

Are you a racist, whom everything is about race? Do you know the difference between culture and race?

😲

It seems YOU are the racist here. Since you can't distinguish between Singaporean culture and (the worst of) India(n) culture. I've wasted enough time on your sorry dumb troll ass. Welcome to my ignore list, f**ktard. 

1 hour ago, Turboflat4 said:

You've already proven yourself to be a persistent troll (and I know exactly which scummy old user you are) but now you're crossing into dangerous racial territory. @RadX may want to keep a close eye on you. This is not EDMW where shitheaded comments like yours are tolerated.

Seen enough !

Enough is enough

• Praise 2

5 hours ago, RadX said:

Seen enough !

Enough is enough

👏🏼👏🏼👌🏼👌🏼👍🏼👍🏼

8 hours ago, Playtime said:

... then whats the point?

same old same old ........ ai open door big big lah.....

On 6/11/2021 at 4:25 PM, Jamesc said:

Young couple opposite my block always do things in the staircase.

Since I bought my new extra high power binoculars they disappeared.

So just give and take lah.

:D

No need to upset what people do in staircases right?

Ur new binocular comes with laser guided?😅

On 6/10/2021 at 11:31 PM, Yewheng said:

Okay.. then ask yourself..

IMG_20210610_232829.thumb.jpg.1a76b53163ed301df84ce63246874bb1.jpg

Is these considered racist to you? It's actually quite subjective right? ( This one just happened to saw someone commented on Facebook page and I screenshot it) Same goes to that polytechnic lecturer.. for some they might feel it's racist, some some they might feel it's not. However for those who might feel it's not, it does not mean they support the polytechnic lecturer actions. Like I said, we should not force our own beliefs to others. This is a big nono..

So even with or without racist.. what he had done is just wrong. Very wrong actually..

How about replace those four people in your example with citizens with no backing? Or replace them with politicians who don't wear white? Have them utter the same words and get it published in the news. What do you think will happen?

So yes you're correct that its absolutely subjective. Its not what is being said but who can afford to say it, meant it, and get away with it.

Fyi. Regarding the lecturer case, I hear similar "its subjective" comments from many of my friends - who all coincidentally happen to be Chinese only. And those who feel that its racist, includes Chinese and non-Chinese friends. And so far, no non-Chinese friends told me that "it's subjective" and I wonder why. Interesting insight from my very unscientific observation isn't it?

I guess for one thing, a racist will never admit or even aware that they're racist because their beliefs have become unconscious facts in their life. In fact, I hear "traditional chinese values" being thrown around very often with regards to objection to interracial marriages. I mean how can anyone compare racism to "traditional chinese values" right?

• Praise 2

Twincharged
(edited)
5 hours ago, Jellandross said:

How about replace those four people in your example with citizens with no backing? Or replace them with politicians who don't wear white? Have them utter the same words and get it published in the news. What do you think will happen?

So yes you're correct that its absolutely subjective. Its not what is being said but who can afford to say it, meant it, and get away with it.

Fyi. Regarding the lecturer case, I hear similar "its subjective" comments from many of my friends - who all coincidentally happen to be Chinese only. And those who feel that its racist, includes Chinese and non-Chinese friends. And so far, no non-Chinese friends told me that "it's subjective" and I wonder why. Interesting insight from my very unscientific observation isn't it?

I guess for one thing, a racist will never admit or even aware that they're racist because their beliefs have become unconscious facts in their life. In fact, I hear "traditional chinese values" being thrown around very often with regards to objection to interracial marriages. I mean how can anyone compare racism to "traditional chinese values" right?

Okay now I talk about something that is even more common.

As you guys should know that in primary school especially those young children are actually very naive. Usually these young children like Chinese in school or outside school met with Indian friends and they like to say the word.. ahpunehneh or pundeh and find it funny. They still mix with all these Indians friends, maybe some even after primary school and till now perhaps still in contact. When they get older, these ahpunehneh or pundeh words start to go away naturally.

So does this make these people who comment ahpunehneh or pundeh when they were young racist? Many people will say yes. But then think about it, these people are very young and they thought it's fun and they still make friends with them anyway. If it is really racist, it's totally different thing as in a person who is racist will not even make friends with these people. Plus when a person grows older, their thinking become more mature. 

Okay there will have many very young friends Indians might get affected by these words. There will also have many young Indians friends will also find it funny and laugh together with those who said it and still make friends with them. When both of these type of people grows older who will have stronger mind? It's actually how a person think and react to situations that makes a person strong or not strong. I am not saying that we should encourage all to say ahpunehneh or pundeh from young. But then sometimes we have to really accept it that human is just never perfect to begin with and different people have different thinking. Many young children who are out for playfulness not harmful at all and they still make friends with each other.

Okay it's actually good to correct them since young. Should correct them that should not say ahpunehneh or pendeh to those Indians. But with or without correcting them since young, when they grow older, those words will still be gone anyway. They are out to have fun, children are like that. What is more important is that they have fun, if someone is not enjoying it then teacher should stop it. But that does not mean hey you young children are racist. They are not, coz they are naive and that's part of the growing up life.

Of coz adult are different.. if adult when say at age 30 or 40 still kept saying these words to Indian.. then it's not fun at all. But then what's the chances of you guys encountered people who is adult in 30plus, 40plus, 50plus and etc say ahpunehneh or pundeh right in Indian face? Like never encountered right ? If have is quite rare. I bet that many of them when they are very young would had said it but now adult never already. 

The thing is that it will forever be never ending and what I fear the most is that slowly we might become a society where people are very not tolerance and every little thing also said racist and and they would never grow up and keep wanting the world to be perfect which is impossible. That will make their life miserable, not only that, it also make all other people busy. Mind you guys one day only have 24 hours and there are only so much police around. If really want to catch down to say children who are very naive of saying ahpunehneh or pundeh. Then I think it's like I don't know maybe need to catch 1/4 of these Chinese children already. Teachers of coz still need to correct them, but then not to the extend of also being too hush to them as when they grow older say in late secondary or to poly or university, they will end up not saying it already anyway. Too hush as in expell then from school or what.. coz they young childrens are out to have fun and is naive, of coz correct them is the best.

Food for thoughts though.. 

Summary the world is never perfect, so long as there is no harm to that person though words or action then it's alright. One should learn to be stronger and not be too easily affected by what people is saying. That's all I could say..

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Supersonic
(edited)

When I look at my own kids, the race divide is not what concerns me.  It's the class divide.

My older kid has 3 very good friends, one Chinese, on Malay and one Indian - very PC.  My younger kid hangs out with 4 other very good friends, one local Indian,  one foreigner Indian and one Filipino new citizen.

But all their friends live in condos or landed property.   They don't mix around or have many friends who live in HDB and they have never lived in a HDB flat themselves.  

Edited by Loki
Spelling
  • Praise 4

2 hours ago, Loki said:

When I look at my own kids, the race divide is not what concerns me.  It's the class divide.

My older kid has 3 very good friends, one Chinese, on Malay and one Indian - very PC.  My younger kid hangs out with 4 other very good friends, one local Indian,  one foreigner Indian and one Filipino new citizen.

But all their friends live in condos or landed property.   They don't mix around or have many friends who live in HDB and they have never lived in a HDB flat themselves.  

wah, you atas circle leh...

but you got something there about "class" being a factor..

Conflicts... real, imagined or engineered... need a starter, many times people don't realise the difference between the starter (cause) and the results (effects).

the CAUSE of whats happening now started in

1)resource availability.. (mainly economic)

2)social integration. 

The EFFECT is perceived racism.

We've had largely no problems in 1&2 with Thais, Burnmese even to a large extend the numerous Malaysians, not to mention Indian FW (CECA is diff ppl.). Not much resource conflict or integration problems. we've had issues in the past with PRCs and pinoys, though it seems to have largely settled down or maybe... just pushed aside. Doesnt seem like a mainly racial issue.

Now... the current saga. 

1) FW... no problems with 1&2.

2) CECA.. HUGE problems with both 1&2.

how can it be racial when they are the same stock?

effect:

People speak out against CECA, gets ignored, things boil further and inevitably gets spillover,  whole thing simplistically and conveniently lumped into racism by the people in charge who should know better, how ridiculous, mishandled and misleading is that?

Neutral Newbie
On 6/11/2021 at 3:05 PM, Playtime said:

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/older-generation-singaporeans-not-ready-non-chinese-pm-heng-swee-keat

Out of context? Where? Clear as day. 

If anything,  today is going easy on the reporting. 

As for the others, there's probably more than a few here who were around even in 92 who can verify... anyway it's simple googling too.

Do you even bother to read?

Is he really being racist ???? where?? show the "clear day" by quote then. Headlines critics thinks the world is that simple 🙄

While Mr Heng noted that many among the 700 students who attended the ministerial forum organised by the NTU Students’ Union were happy to have a prime minister who is not Chinese, he said that this was not the case for all of Singapore.

“My own experience in walking the ground, in working with different people from all walks of life, is that the views — if you go by age and by life experience — would be very different,” the finance minister said.

Nevertheless, Mr Heng said: "I do think that at the right time, when enough people think that we may have a minority leader, a minority who becomes the leader of the country, that is something that we can all hope for."
Read more at https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/older-generation-singaporeans-not-ready-non-chinese-pm-heng-swee-keat
UNQUOTE

The biggest mistake that this old guy made is not being politically correct in the open
it is one thing to own certain opinions and it is another to voice them out. 
for whatever that has been said and done, i do feel that it has been blown out of proportions.

This may only breed more politically correct behaviors but not necessarily good strong characters.  
There are many noises in Life, we choose what we want to be disturbed by. 
Not every fight needs to be fought.

• Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

Supersonic

I wonder if they will investigate the claims of the former student who complained a few years ago.  The poly has to be accountable for why no action was taken then 

• Praise 2

So all the people who claim this was faked/staged, why did u so fast assume this cannot be real beliefs of some kinds of singaporeans? Because you strongly believe racism doesn't exist in Singapore?

↡ Advertisement