Racism in Singapore: Singaporean man told to date people of his own ethnicity

BabyBlade

Twincharged
(edited)
13 minutes ago, yishunite said:

Idk why you still trying to put the best possible spin on this guy. He got obviously a lot of racist views about other cultures and beliefs

Whether it extends to the general population is a question only minorities who experience this can answer for us. Im not a minority so I cant say but you can read on social media lots of minorities still feel very harassed and discriminated

Okay.. then ask yourself..

IMG_20210610_232829.thumb.jpg.1a76b53163ed301df84ce63246874bb1.jpg

Is these considered racist to you? It's actually quite subjective right? ( This one just happened to saw someone commented on Facebook page and I screenshot it) Same goes to that polytechnic lecturer.. for some they might feel it's racist, some some they might feel it's not. However for those who might feel it's not, it does not mean they support the polytechnic lecturer actions. Like I said, we should not force our own beliefs to others. This is a big nono..

So even with or without racist.. what he had done is just wrong. Very wrong actually..

Edited by Yewheng
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3
  • Shocked 1

(edited)
34 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

Okay.. then ask yourself..

IMG_20210610_232829.thumb.jpg.1a76b53163ed301df84ce63246874bb1.jpg

Is these considered racist to you? It's actually quite subjective right? ( This one just happened to saw someone commented on Facebook page and I screenshot it) Same goes to that polytechnic lecturer.. for some they might feel it's racist, some some they might feel it's not. However for those who might feel it's not, it does not mean they support the polytechnic lecturer actions. Like I said, we should not force our own beliefs to others. This is a big nono..

So even with or without racist.. what he had done is just wrong. Very wrong actually..

Yes those are racist comments. Whats subjective about them?

Edited by yishunite
  • Praise 2

Twincharged
(edited)
14 minutes ago, yishunite said:

Yes those are racist comments. Whats subjective about them?

That's what you think.. others might not think so. That's what I mean.. that's why it's subjective as depending on who you ask. Same goes to that polytechnic lecturer words. Like I said again it's his self imposed beliefs to others that is very wrong. 

I already give example.

Like a person might have friends from many different races and constantly in contact with them and some even go out with them. But when come to marriage, suddenly that person become so closed up and felt that Chinese should married Chinese only. So does this make that person racist? For some it's still a yes, but for many it's a no. 

So you get what I mean or not? I give this example and now the screenshot of Facebook post comment. How many more examples do you want me to show then you understand what I mean?

Edited by Yewheng
  • Haha! 1

19 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

That's what you think.. others might not think so. That's what I mean.. that's why it's subjective as depending on who you ask. Same goes to that polytechnic lecturer words. Like I said again it's his self imposed beliefs to others that is very wrong. 

I already give example.

Like a person might have friends from many different races and constantly in contact with them and some even go out with them. But when come to marriage, suddenly that person become so closed up and felt that Chinese should married Chinese only. So does this make that person racist? For some it's still a yes, but for many it's a no. 

So you get what I mean or not? I give this example and now the screenshot of Facebook post comment. How many more examples do you want me to show then you understand what I mean?

Im already bored of this but to you what does racism mean?

For me it is treating different people's worth differently based on their race or culture or nationality. So from that definition, it is very obvious all those statements you quote is racist. 

But what definition do you use where those are not racist statements? I would like to see what definition can get away with this

Twincharged
(edited)
17 minutes ago, yishunite said:

Im already bored of this but to you what does racism mean?

For me it is treating different people's worth differently based on their race or culture or nationality. So from that definition, it is very obvious all those statements you quote is racist. 

But what definition do you use where those are not racist statements? I would like to see what definition can get away with this

Like I said again different people different thinking. That's what's make not a perfect world actually. And I already make my point clear even then it is not right to impose own beliefs to others. Plus I also make it a point to explain that as long as there is no harm to others either by words or by action. Then it should be okay. People should learn to be strong as in should not be so easily affected by what others say. Anyway that's said easy then done, but then that's what I feel it should be the way going forward. If not there will never be ending where maybe in future a small little wording end up get interpretated as offensive or etc. That's not good also. Plus social media has its drawback as it can magnify things that are actually improving or is actually very minor.

Anyway let's look at this Facebook video below..

The 1st 3 seconds.. where it is asked can you speak English, and the person replied f.. u.. .maybe some find it racist? Possible hor.. Hope this time you get what I mean

Edited by Yewheng

6 hours ago, Yewheng said:

Like a person might have friends from many different races and constantly in contact with them and some even go out with them. But when come to marriage, suddenly that person become so closed up and felt that Chinese should married Chinese only. So does this make that person racist? For some it's still a yes, but for many it's a no

That is actually a very very common trait among all races. Not limited to Chinese. Definitely NOT racist. 

Otoh... are they racist??..I've also more than once heard people.. openly too..  saying they :

1. Only want to marry a specific xx race. 

2. Will choose anyone outside their own race.. for whatever racial or cultural reason. 

One's marriage choice is personal. Live and let live. 

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

I wonder what trigger this case to be blown out of proportion? Today ST got so many articles on the same subject. Racism is bad but a single person rant being post by another person in FB triggers ST and ministers to react? Hope it will not lead to unnecessary complications and people should stop adding fuel to this. 

• Praise 1

Twincharged
13 minutes ago, Playtime said:

That is actually a very very common trait among all races. Not limited to Chinese. Definitely NOT racist. 

Otoh... are they racist??..I've also more than once heard people.. openly too..  saying they :

1. Only want to marry a specific xx race. 

2. Will choose anyone outside their own race.. for whatever racial or cultural reason. 

One's marriage choice is personal. Live and let live. 

Yup as long as these people don't impost their beliefs on other people. Then it's okay.. the polytechnic lecturer just crossed the line which is very wrong. One may have their own kakis, own thinking.. that's okay.. coz that's the person thinking and we can't change that. Human is never perfect to begin with...

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

I wonder what trigger this case to be blown out of proportion? Today ST got so many articles on the same subject. Racism is bad but a single person rant being post by another person in FB triggers ST and ministers to react? Hope it will not lead to unnecessary complications and people should stop adding fuel to this. 

It's social media went viral.. after that another trigger point is during his polytechnic lecturer stunt few years back that a few of his ex students bring out. That I feel is even more wrong as compared to the recent incident of him talking about disapprove on Chinese to married Indian. That one is much worst.. as that is more towards brainwashed already..

Oh ya talking about news media.. this one.. how a news article is written can subconsciously affect a person thinking.. aka without the person even realising it. This is very dangerous.. media report things with agenda is the one that is the most dangerous weapon that could have. 

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 1

(edited)
9 hours ago, Yewheng said:

Just as I am talking about imperfect world..

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/police-investigating-after-woman-filmed-striking-gong-neighbour-carried-out-hindu-prayers?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social-media&utm_campaign=addtoany

You guys see... That's human.. there will always have all sort of these kind of cases.. but then that itself should not be the case of I give up hope type nor we should be in too perfectionist type.

Really too much on her behaviour ...:a-noway:

But the guy also using a 'sai kong' bell for his praying which might have annoyed his neighbour. :wut:

Edited by Picnic06-Biante15
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Twincharged
5 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

But the guy also using a 'sai kong' bell for his pray which might have annoyed his neighbour. :wut:

Ya lor.. if the world is perfect how good? I remember many years back there is this neighbour staying opposite each other in landed house. Both do not see eye to eye.. they do all sorts of things to irritate, disturb, insult each other.. that dispute had been ongoing for many years.. there is even mentioned of one of them household put spotlight and shine on that neighbor late at night and disturb their sleep. Don't know whether that already resolved or one of them move house or what already. So yeah.. 

• Haha! 1

(edited)
10 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

Ya lor.. if the world is perfect how good? I remember many years back there is this neighbour staying opposite each other in landed house. Both do not see eye to eye.. they do all sorts of things to irritate, disturb, insult each other.. that dispute had been ongoing for many years.. there is even mentioned of one of them household put spotlight and shine on that neighbor late at night and disturb their sleep. Don't know whether that already resolved or one of them move house or what already. So yeah.. 

The Everitt Road saga ... [sly]

Edited by Picnic06-Biante15
  • Haha! 1

(edited)

WRT the 2019.... I tot even before that people been calling for a certain Indian to be PM and replace existing/appointed chinese one 🤣

image.thumb.png.45aa62aee9e498079ca1811c3b2a123b.png  

hahahaha....... when will we see some quality journalistic discussion about this on Straits Times.....

image.png.2f898506b5d10d2d1efcfcfa568cb4de.png

Or how much of current issue... if any... is due to social impact of CECA agreement and the perceived failure ... if any... to properly address peoples concerns???

image.png.f635f19853366831c03fea5c4f1a00c7.png

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/south-asia/wrong-to-have-total-free-flow-of-people-tharman

Edited by Playtime
  • Haha! 2

Turbocharged
10 hours ago, Yewheng said:

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/police-investigating-after-woman-filmed-striking-gong-neighbour-carried-out-hindu-prayers?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social-media&utm_campaign=addtoany

You guys see... That's human.. there will always have all sort of these kind of cases.. but then that itself should not be the case of I give up hope type nor we should be in too perfectionist type.

my old flat last time in the 90s used to have an Indian neighbour family practicing their prayer regularly too

the bell sounds were ok leh, just that the oil smell could be overpowering sometimes 

but nobody ever complained anything (our corridor was made up of 5 Chinese families and 1 Indian family)

• Praise 1

Thanks to the handphone camera or this racist would never have been found out.

Maybe even retire happily after a lifetime of racial abuse in his position.

:D

I see the bright side. Better he find out now the error of his ways than take his racist view to the grave.

It would have been a waste of a lifetime.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Supercharged
10 hours ago, Yewheng said:

I would see this case more as a noisy neighbour dispute first rather than assume that it is race related.  Chances are if it is a Chinese neighbour ringing bells and spraying incense she would be banging gongs also.

• Praise 2

Racism is so wrong.

If my son wanted to marry a Japanese or Korean lady I will say congrats.

I won't be saying date your own race.

If my girl says she wants to marry a lesbian I will also say congrats 

Like father like daughter.

:D

• Haha! 2

(edited)
2 hours ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

But the guy also using a 'sai kong' bell for his praying which might have annoyed his neighbour. :wut:

A tricky sensitive issue as regards to two religious practices.

Both also not wrong in my opinion. 

Edited by Kopites
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3