Singapore's Loh Kean Yew, Yeo Jia Min's slots at Tokyo Olympics 2020 confirmed

Blueray

Badminton: Singapore's Loh Kean Yew, Yeo Jia Min's slots at Tokyo 2020 confirmed

SINGAPORE - National shuttlers Loh Kean Yew and Yeo Jia Min have qualified for the Tokyo Olympics after the Badminton World Federation confirmed its qualification list on Monday (June 7).

While the qualification period closes only on June 15, the BWF had confirmed in May that there would be no further tournaments due to the coronavirus pandemic. This had led to the postponement of the May 11-16 India Open and May 25-30 Malaysia Open and the cancellation of the June 1-6 Singapore Open.

As a result, Loh and Yeo secured their Olympic spots by virtue of being 18th and 17th in the Race to Tokyo men's and women's rankings respectively, with 38 places allocated for each singles event.

https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/badminton-singapores-loh-kean-yew-yeo-jia-mins-slots-at-tokyo-2020-confirmed

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9

7 hours ago, Blueray said:

Badminton: Singapore's Loh Kean Yew, Yeo Jia Min's slots at Tokyo 2020 confirmed

SINGAPORE - National shuttlers Loh Kean Yew and Yeo Jia Min have qualified for the Tokyo Olympics after the Badminton World Federation confirmed its qualification list on Monday (June 7).

While the qualification period closes only on June 15, the BWF had confirmed in May that there would be no further tournaments due to the coronavirus pandemic. This had led to the postponement of the May 11-16 India Open and May 25-30 Malaysia Open and the cancellation of the June 1-6 Singapore Open.

As a result, Loh and Yeo secured their Olympic spots by virtue of being 18th and 17th in the Race to Tokyo men's and women's rankings respectively, with 38 places allocated for each singles event.

https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/badminton-singapores-loh-kean-yew-yeo-jia-mins-slots-at-tokyo-2020-confirmed

Hopefully can get bronze or into final

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

If china no join we got better chance since alot countries not joinin😅

in what event??

TT u mean??

badminton super hard ba, even if china not there.

Edited by Beregond

Supersonic
21 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

If china no join we got better chance since alot countries not joinin😅

Many countries not joining olympics? Then what is the point of organising le? 😂

• Haha! 2

2 hours ago, Beregond said:

in what event??

TT u mean??

badminton super hard ba, even if china not there.

Lky and yjm not bad le. Got chance maybe for bronze. 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I have watched both players on TV. Good skill but lack mental readiness and hunger to win. More exposure will be good for them because locally they cannot get the competition they need. All the best. Win or lose doesn't matter, more importantly,  they have tried their best for the country. 

• Praise 2

Supercharged
34 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

I have watched both players on TV. Good skill but lack mental readiness and hunger to win. More exposure will be good for them because locally they cannot get the competition they need. All the best. Win or lose doesn't matter, more importantly,  they have tried their best for the country. 

well said. 

but really depend on many factors and that particular day form.

got skills, no form, cannot perform 😂

i also playing badminton hence i know.. 

Turbocharged
3 hours ago, Kurty said:

well said. 

but really depend on many factors and that particular day form.

got skills, no form, cannot perform 😂

i also playing badminton hence i know.. 

That is why mental preparation very important. You see boxer, they like going all out to kill. Next time you no form, change racket, at least got a reason. Haha

Hypersonic
5 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

That is why mental preparation very important. You see boxer, they like going all out to kill. Next time you no form, change racket, at least got a reason. Haha

always hard unless u have been in many high level competitions before.

Familiarity or experience makes perfect.

Turbocharged
(edited)
31 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

always hard unless u have been in many high level competitions before.

Familiarity or experience makes perfect.

Both are very young. With more exposures, they will improve. Young also got advantages. They just cheong without fear. 

Edited by Victor68

Twincharged

What a shocker?

After a series of serial editorial meetings, I got shocked that whether someone got it wrong (we can't be too careful nowadays with lots of social media vigilantes around), that one of the contestant is named LKY.

Thank goodness, though close but it is still a long shot, Loh Kean Yew aka LKY.

I honestly have stopped watching all these competitive games. It does not do justice to the spirit of the games.

1. It only glorifies the 1st, 2nd and perhaps 3rd places. The rest end up in the rubbish heap. If you think about it, any of them, 1st to the last, did not sacrifice much or put in all their best at the games? No? Yes?

2. Some sacrifice their entire youth trying to chase the position, encouraged by the organization or country. If they don't make it they are on their own to start over. We apparently only appreciate and reward them during, and after the games if they did well. Look at those "imports" after winning and getting all the rewards, were are they now?

3. I cannot imagine all the injuries sustained during all those training just to have the few seconds of limelight.

4. Games are suppose competition to bring people together but look at some sporting events, they have fans from different sides killed.

5. Many of these are consequences of self choice, but organizers and countries do have a part to play too.

Next time, when you and I watch any games, lets remember the time, effort, sacrifice and pain needed even to be the last in the competition. Why it is important? Then as a society we would align our priorities too. We don't neglect the less able, less capable and less fortunately but only reward the elites only in our society.

↡ Advertisement