HungryGoWhere To Stop Operations After 15 Years, S’pore Bids Goodbye To Iconic Food Guide

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

hungrygowhere-farewell.jpg

HungryGoWhere Thanks Supporters Ahead Of Website Closure On 12 Jul

Despite being self-professed foodies, some Singaporeans can be quite indecisive when it comes to choosing a place to eat. In such situations, food recommendation websites are a godsend.

However, on Tuesday (7 Jun), HungryGoWhere – one of Singapore’s pioneer food sites – announced that they’d be stopping operations in about a month’s time.

hungrygowhere-stop-operations-2.jpg

Their last day of service will reportedly be on 11 Jul 2021.

HungryGoWhere to stop operations after 15 years

Announcing the move, HungryGoWhere thanked Singaporeans for their support over the past 15 years.

hungrygowhere-stop-operations-1.jpg

The food site said they were proud to have served the community and hoped that they have improved users’ dining experience.

Moving forward, they expressed their wish for Singaporeans to continue supporting hawkers, restaurants, and other eateries.

Reservations for dates before 12 Jul still valid

Reservations made on the site for dates between now and 12 Jul will still be valid.

However, customers whose reservation dates are on 12 Jul or after will have to re-confirm their booking with the respective restaurants.

The HungryRewards Programme will also be discontinued on 30 Jun.

Customers with Hungry$ cash credit can convert them to Dash cash credits by 30 Jun 2021. Unconverted credits will be voided after the date.

Meanwhile, merchants who have partnered up with HungryGoWhwere will not be charged fees for the months of June and July.

Customers and merchants can check out their respective FAQs via the links below:

• Customers
  • Merchants

One of Singapore’s first food websites

Established in 2006, HungryGoWhere was one of Singapore’s first food websites.

Besides providing reviews, the portal also allows users to enjoy exclusive deals and try new recipes.

Owned by Singtel Digital Media, the site has since diversified its services to allow users to place orders online before collecting them physically.

Besides Singapore, the site has also expanded to Malaysia, reports The Straits Times.

Thanks for the memories HungryGoWhere

It’s saddening to see one of Singapore’s OG food portals ceasing operations for good.

We hope customers and partners affected by the cessation of operations will find alternative sites that will cater to their needs.

For now, thanks for the memories and endless food recommendations, HungryGoWhere. You’ll certainly be missed.

If you’d like to check out food recommendations and other makan-related content, visit our sister site, Eatbook, here.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Internal Moderator

Is this poor management by singtel or heavy competition from the food media industry?

I think partly both and the internet usage for food critics and booking have evolve quite a bit. Like there is now entertainer app that you can spend $99 for a year to get like 1,000 restaurant for 1 for 1 offer.

With that say, that is before covid breakout, with the covid situation, it is even harder for food review website to thrive cause dabao is not just about nice food liao.

• Praise 3

Supercharged

Used to write a couple reviews... back in the days where wallet light, and eating out with GF/Wife was a big thing and quite keen to share thoughts.

But the site is fairly chaotic to navigate, needs to login blah blah blah. Too many obstacles to get to what we want - read or write reviews.

After that prefered to read or post on TripAdvisor which at least is global reach and also can review hotels, resorts etc.

Nowadays too lazy, at most do quick posting on Google reviews (very easy to get to from Google maps) if I am really pissed off with the eatery.

• Praise 3

(edited)

good riddance. They were the pioneer, the trailblazer that I look to FIRST whenever I want some recommendations. But alas, the moment they sold out, I stopped. 

Food review/recommendations sites should stay that way. Once commercial interests is involved, different ball game liao

That's why I appreciate what Seetoh and Tay are doing. Yes, sure to have some sponsors. But by and large they are still impartial when it comes to food reviews. But then again, they are not really doing reviews imo, more of preserving SG food heritage. 

Edited by Othello
  • Praise 13

8 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Is this poor management by singtel or heavy competition from the food media industry?

I think partly both and the internet usage for food critics and booking have evolve quite a bit. Like there is now entertainer app that you can spend $99 for a year to get like 1,000 restaurant for 1 for 1 offer.

With that say, that is before covid breakout, with the covid situation, it is even harder for food review website to thrive cause dabao is not just about nice food liao.

you are right, they must all up their game now. not just take picture/video and end up with thumbs up action. hahaha. 

I dun use any reservations app, maybe last time yes. Once or twice. Entertainer app is interesting, however I did not sign up cos I dun like the idea of being limited. Plus they dun have many of my regular restaurants. Eatigo was good. A refreshing change if one is willing to eat at odd hours (works for me). However I dun think they'll survive covid. haha. Maybe now barely holding on. 

Supersonic

Simi hungrygodunnowhere?

I juz follow Miss Tam Chiak. Simple to understand + good & cheap eats. What more u need?

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 1

Most eatigo now is at the 10-30% discount level and not the 40-50% of the beginning, seemed to change a couple of years back.

Entertainer is okay, earning coins to spend on replacement vouchers etc.

Other than that, we've taken to FoodPanda Take-Away with the 30% discounts and bring home, even when we could eat inside. I think the CB changed us, as a whole, where taking home became comfortable. Pre-order and take away might be a change in some people at popular food stalls, rather than wait an hour.

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Othello said:

you are right, they must all up their game now. not just take picture/video and end up with thumbs up action. hahaha. 

I dun use any reservations app, maybe last time yes. Once or twice. Entertainer app is interesting, however I did not sign up cos I dun like the idea of being limited. Plus they dun have many of my regular restaurants. Eatigo was good. A refreshing change if one is willing to eat at odd hours (works for me). However I dun think they'll survive covid. haha. Maybe now barely holding on. 

My personal opinion is that reservation apps can only really take off if they are really accurate, like sharing the reservation in real-time with the restaurants. I've had experiences whereby calling the restaurant is just as fast and also they are able to give me slots that the app can't. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, t0y0ta said:

Used to write a couple reviews... back in the days where wallet light, and eating out with GF/Wife was a big thing and quite keen to share thoughts.

But the site is fairly chaotic to navigate, needs to login blah blah blah. Too many obstacles to get to what we want - read or write reviews.

After that prefered to read or post on TripAdvisor which at least is global reach and also can review hotels, resorts etc.

Nowadays too lazy, at most do quick posting on Google reviews (very easy to get to from Google maps) if I am really pissed off with the eatery.

envy you, eating with gf and wife and never get caught, or you mean 3  together?

• Haha! 2

internet and social media, now ah beng ah lian can be food YouTuber, who need a food review blog?

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, kobayashiGT said:

Spoiler

Is that the reason Singtel broadband went down? :XD:

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
15 minutes ago, Windwaver said:

Is that the reason Singtel broadband went down? :XD:

Cause now hungrynowheretogo. hahahah.

8 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Cause now hungrynowheretogo. hahahah.

HA period is hungrygohome.

• Haha! 2

Internal Moderator
30 minutes ago, Enye said:

wah...i worry about the future of mcf

😅

I not worry yet why you worry. hahahahahaha.

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic

Used to be good. but lost relevance after a while. Anyway food blogging and google maps reviews was it's main competition.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic
16 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

I not worry yet why you worry. hahahahahaha.

ok...when that day comes

where koba  bb goes, we will follow

🤣

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1