SMRT technician dies, another injured after being pinned under bus they were repairing

Kb27

Supersonic
(edited)

SINGAPORE: An SMRT technician died on Sunday (Jun 6) after being pinned under a bus he was repairing.

The technician and another worker were injured while repairing the mini-bus at the Automotive Services commercial repair centre at Ang Mo Kio depot on Sunday.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said that it received a call at about 9.45am for assistance at 6 Ang Mo Kio Street 62. 

SCDF took two people to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital. One person had a serious head injury while the second person complained of chest pain, a spokesperson said.

READ: Supervisor, worker die after collapsing in vessel's ballast tank

"We are saddened that one of them, an Automotive Technical Officer, succumbed to his injuries and passed away at the hospital," said Mr Venkatesan P V, general manager of SMRT Automotive Services on Wednesday.  

"We have conveyed our deepest condolences to the staff’s family and are providing assistance and support at this very difficult time." 

He added that the company is giving care and support to the injured staff member, who has been discharged and is on medical leave.

A stop-work order has been issued to the Automotive Services commercial repair centre at Ang Mo Kio Depot, while the other automotive workshops conducted a safety time-out.

"We are assisting MOM and the Police with investigations," said Mr Venkatesan.

fatal-workplace-accident---damaged-car-j

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/workplace-deaths-smrt-workers-pinned-under-bus-wheel-loader-14978742

Edited by Kb27
↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 7

Supersonic

RIP, but unbelievable, these professionals were using flimsy car jacks to repair a bus !

I wouldn't even use this to repair a car, unless you slide a wooden block below it or put it on a good quality stand.

even car workshop mech are smarter by sliding the wheel below the car.

• Praise 6
  • Shocked 1

Equipment shown is for jacking up and not meant for holding the weight. 

Jack stand should be used instead. 

I know it's all horse back cannon now but such accident could have been avoided. Haiz... 

Rip.... 

• Praise 8

Turbocharged
37 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

SINGAPORE: An SMRT technician died on Sunday (Jun 6) after being pinned under a bus he was repairing.

The technician and another worker were injured while repairing the mini-bus at the Automotive Services commercial repair centre at Ang Mo Kio depot on Sunday.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said that it received a call at about 9.45am for assistance at 6 Ang Mo Kio Street 62. 

SCDF took two people to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital. One person had a serious head injury while the second person complained of chest pain, a spokesperson said.

"We are saddened that one of them, an Automotive Technical Officer, succumbed to his injuries and passed away at the hospital," said Mr Venkatesan P V, general manager of SMRT Automotive Services on Wednesday.  

"We have conveyed our deepest condolences to the staff’s family and are providing assistance and support at this very difficult time." 

He added that the company is giving care and support to the injured staff member, who has been discharged and is on medical leave.

A stop-work order has been issued to the Automotive Services commercial repair centre at Ang Mo Kio Depot, while the other automotive workshops conducted a safety time-out.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/workplace-deaths-smrt-workers-pinned-under-bus-wheel-loader-14978742

i don't think these jacks are rated for the weight of mini bus. I'm also surprised they are tall enough

• Praise 2

For a former listed company, the equipment used is really unprofessional, and likely violates internal ISO and Bizsafe systems, which probably is just lip service

• Praise 10

Those jacks pictured are meant for changing a flat tire and not working underneath the vehicle. In addition the number of jacking cycles is likely to be in the single digits. Being used daily and for vehicles exceeding its design load is just asking for trouble. Sorry but you make your own bed and you lie in it.

Supercharged

I kiasi, I always imagine the car drops on me and i die slowly under the car

I use hydraulic jack, jack stands and place a wheel under the car

20170106_143505.thumb.jpg.05292580f71f56e2d93159633c4e4021.jpg

with this setup, I am still too kiasi to go under the car for works like dropping the transmission sump for ATF change

• Praise 13
  • Shocked 2
  • Haha! 4

Hypersonic

2021 these kinds of unsafe working practices still going on?

Its amazing.

Even back street car workshops also know better.

This one is a professional organisation huh?

:D

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 3

1 hour ago, Kb27 said:

RIP, but unbelievable, these professionals were using flimsy car jacks to repair a bus !

I wouldn't even use this to repair a car, unless you slide a wooden block below it or put it on a good quality stand.

If you watch US renovation shows, some houses are supported using such jacks by those scrupulous contractors.

• Shocked 3

Hypersonic
(edited)
2 hours ago, Hamburger said:

I know it's all horse back cannon now but such accident could have been avoided. Haiz... 

Rip.... 

What's difference between jacking up and holding weight? 

Hmm OK nvm . I understand. 

Edited by Lala81

Supersonic
1 hour ago, Phang said:

I kiasi, I always imagine the car drops on me and i die slowly under the car

I use hydraulic jack, jack stands and place a wheel under the car

20170106_143505.thumb.jpg.05292580f71f56e2d93159633c4e4021.jpg

with this setup, I am still too kiasi to go under the car for works like dropping the transmission sump for ATF change

Leave it to the professional?!

• Praise 1

Supercharged

@13177 

yes, car maintenance and repair is my hobby, no point risking injuring myself

I like to watch how mechanics from less developed countries doing repairs with very limited resources and crude tools

yet I have never see they use a car jack in those videos before

that type of car jack that found in our passenger car boot has no place in an automotive workshop, let alone, a bus depot, in a first world country

• Praise 7

Hypersonic
3 hours ago, Kb27 said:

If I need to emergency change my punctured tyre, will put the spare tyre under the car as a safety precaution in case the jack failed it don't go all the way down.

• Praise 6

Supersonic
3 hours ago, Hamburger said:

Rip.... 

Yes I agree with you, jack is not meant to hold weight, at least I see people using a solid wood or a rim as a safety stopper. But a proper jack stand is the proper way to go. 

• Praise 3

4 hours ago, Kb27 said:

These were jacks used in the 80s..... I use to ask my dad to take it from the boot and play with it when I was a kid, standing on it and ask my sibling to extend the jack. 

RIP to the deceased. 

↡ Advertisement